Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel sender issue
adithorp

posted on 26/7/23 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel sender issue

On the way down to Newark show, my petrol gauge stuck at full (actually it went up from 3/4). I had been thinking, wiring fault brought about while threading a USB charge cable behind the dash for my phone. I wasn't looking forward to removing the dash and tracking it down.

As I left I stopped to fill up and discovered why when I couldn't get the filler cap off. Seems the tether on my cap, a fine chain with a weight to draw it back as the cap is replaced, had tied itself around the sender unit float or arm. A good pull broke the chain and I got fuel in and the gauge worked again. Only the weight is missing (an m12 nut from memory). Time will tell if its still accurate or if the arms bent.

Now do I...
A) go fishing for the nut with a magnet maybe with the help of a borescope camera... but if its dropped into the well that won't work.
B) remove tank and shake it out. A pain at best.
C) forget about it
D) stick a magnet the the bottom of the tank to eventually catch the nut.

MikeR

posted on 26/7/23 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Magnet on a stick for me. I can't see it done any damage itself. But if it's rattling around could it damage paint, which then blocks the fuel filter?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.