Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi transmission codes
MarcV

posted on 10/9/23 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Audi transmission codes

Might be a long shot, but giving it a try anyway. There is more wisdom here than one might imagine ;-)

So for my 986 Boxster conversion project I'll need a different gearbox. The engine I am looking at would normally come with an 0A3 transmission which is an early 2000s 4WD / Quattro box. Surely I don't want 4WD, so I am looking at the 0A2 instead (and should be able to drop in the 0A3 gears to better match the engine), which is very similar to the Porsche G87 box.

Now to the issue; most advertised gearboxes list the 'secondary' codes. Currently looking at a well priced new HEN box. To allow me to broaden my search, does anyone know of a list of 'secondary' codes for the 0A2? Would be even better if they would show the difference as it seems there are many codes for essentially the same box. Only difference I am currently aware of is the final drive ratio, but I guess there must be more considering the vast number of codes..

coyoteboy

posted on 11/9/23 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
01E too long for you?
gremlin1234

posted on 11/9/23 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_mk2/power_transmission/6-speed_manual_gearbox_0a2_front-whe el_drive/technical_data/gearbox_identification/code_letters_allocation_transmission_ratios_capacities/
edit make link work properly

[Edited on 11-9-2023 by gremlin1234]

MarcV

posted on 12/9/23 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link, that is really helpful!

I don't think the 0A2 is any shorter than a 01E. Just that 0A2 is newer and all comments I can find on them show that the 0A2 is much better in shift feel / play / engagement. Only some remarks that it might be less capable of handling high power, but I'm not planning a big turbo build anyway ;-)

And guess it'll be pretty hard to find a new 01E, while I can easily source new 02A and 03A units (the last one to steal some gears off ;-))

coyoteboy

posted on 12/9/23 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, I am looking at putting a twin turbo V8 on the front of it, the 02A would, from all accounts, be turned into swarf.
MarcV

posted on 12/9/23 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do you plan to run a coyote engine as you name might imply? Or stick to some Audi unit?

The hot-V engines are really nice and I was considering using one as NA, but the FSI part has put me off for now.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/9/23 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarcV
Do you plan to run a coyote engine as you name might imply? Or stick to some Audi unit?

The hot-V engines are really nice and I was considering using one as NA, but the FSI part has put me off for now.

No unfortunately not - twin turbo Audi ABZ!

MarcV

posted on 22/9/23 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, the ABZ is not going to be far off from what I am looking at. But I guess you'll be running aftermarket ECU?

Update on my part; just picked up a brand new (not shiny though...rather dusty instead) 0A2 gearbox today. Price really unbeatable as I also sold my used BMW SMG2 gearbox this week for 1.5 times the prices of the new Audi box ;-) Gives me money to spare to look at the driveshaft.

New box came complete with clutch release arm and TO bearing, but no slave cylinder. Unfortunately one drive flange was not fully inserted and most of the oil ended up in my car. Will smell for a little while I guess

New Audi 0A2 gearbox
New Audi 0A2 gearbox

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.