Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is a windage tray and why would I want one?
StuartA

posted on 25/10/02 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
What is a windage tray and why would I want one?

Can anyone tell me why I would want a windage try. I am led to believe it is some sort of baffle that sits between sump and engine to stop the oil getting churned up. But surely if the engine already has a baffle plate this wouldn't happen.

Just for info, this is regarding a Zetec 1.8 with a shortened sump, for standard road use. The sump is fully baffled, but when I spoke to Mr Dunnell he reckoned we wouldn't be able to put in a windage tray with that engine and it might cause problems. Didn't want to look stupid so I didn't ask him the question... but I don't mind looking stupid on here!

JohnFol

posted on 25/10/02 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick scan through yahoo and I get a few more details.

It seems baffles are for the horizontal slopping about of oil in the sump, where as windage trays are mounted horizontally and prevent vertical slopping about of oil..
Benefits claimed are increased bhp (due to big end not having to push past the surplus oil) and prolonged engine life.

StuartA

posted on 25/10/02 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that John. That kinda makes sense I guess, but I suspect that the amount of 'slopping' during normal road use wouldn't be quite so violent as that in racing. Hoping we can get away without one. Looked at various other sites for people using zetecs and no-one else appears to mention them.
matt@teamturtle

posted on 27/10/02 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
When the oil returns to the sump from the engine, it is full of air bubbles. The windage tray allows the oil to lose the air bubbles by gently flowing to the base of teh sump and the oil pick up pipe. The baffle plates are to stop the oil sloshing from side to side and letting the oil pick up pipe from sucking fresh air. Hope this helps explain.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.