Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AJ-V8
Piledhigher

posted on 24/3/05 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
AJ-V8

I just ordered my AJ-V8 motor from a breaker. Anybody know what manual transmission Jag is using (if any at all) on their cars using this motor?

Cory

marksimon

posted on 27/3/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Cory,

Jag do not use a manual box with the AJ-V8. The engine is also used in Lincoln LS although it is also auto only.

It may be worth finding out about the Ford DOHC V8 as used in the Mustang. There are two types of DOHC V8s, the "Intech" and the "Triton". The Intech is used in the Mustang Cobra, the Triton is the modular engine used in Mustang, various SUVs and the GT. One of these may have a similar bolt pattern to the Jag AJ-V8. The US V8s use various Borg Warner or Tremec boxes. Can Ford Power Products help? If you do an internet search you should be able to find them. If you find any useful info can you let me know?

I would also look at using something like a six speed Getrag box as used by BMW and get an adaptor plate made.

Mark

Piledhigher

posted on 27/3/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, thanks for the information. I have been searching the web for the type of data you mentioned. From what I find, the AJ-V8 has a different bellhousing pattern than the Ford modular motor. I am looking at the McLeod modular bellhousing in front of a BW T5 5 speed. I like the T5 for the light weight and the different gear sets available.

Cory

Piledhigher

posted on 1/4/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
OK,

Here is a pic of the motor. It is a lot bigger than I expected it to be but under 400 lbs for a V8 is pretty good.

Cory Rescued attachment IMG_0765.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_0765.JPG

Bob C

posted on 1/4/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
That is an awesome lump - looks way more impressive than the same sized RV8 lump - DOHC on each bank for you!
You putting that in a locost? - respect!
Bob C
PS the T5 route is good - I think the supra box is also popular in muscle conversions but dunno where you'd get bits

NS Dev

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I really don't know but I do know that a lot of special builders use the Jag manual box as fitted to the earlier XJ's and the like, which is a Getrag 'box, good for 500 + hp.
seventhheaven

posted on 22/3/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Durateq Duratorq AJ-V8

Hi,
I'm also fitting a AJ-V8 (AJ27 1999 4.0litre) to a locost. I'm planning on running 4x4 too. I have a MT75 gearbox from a cosworth 4x4.
Obviously the gearbox has a different bellhousing pattern. The bellhousing is also not seperable.

The AJ-V8 is from the Ford Owned Durateq family.

A 2.4 Duratorq LDV or Transit 350 also has an MT75 gearbox. Could a hybrid casing be mad out of these two?

My question is, does anyone know if a Durateq (or AJ-V8) has the same bellhousing pattern as a Duratorq??? It's a long shot, after all the word 'Dura' is a tenuous link.

Late model 2.4 Transits have a 6 speed box that looks MT75 derived, but they don't look like I could create a 'hybrid' out of the two. Good for 2wd maybe - if they fit???

Everyone knows the Mazda / Ford / Jaguar links with the V6 engine. Does that mean a 2.4 Ford Ranger has a compatible box?

If they are the same bellhousing pattern then I could create a hybrid out of the two, splitting them at the 4x4 transfer box.

The AJ-V8 splits and you can basically change the whole bottom half of the engine, does this mean that the Land Rover version of this engine has a different bottom end to the Lincoln and Jaguar versions etc.... If the bottom half of the gearbox bellhousing doesn't mate up with the engine is there another bottom half that could be fitted?

The s-type Jag has a Getrag 21 5 speed box that'll fit the V8 but they are not 4x4.

Sorry, lots of question!!! - I'm confused and answering my questions could get very expensive!

If you are interested in seeing my progress visit http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk

4wd 3.9 Rover V8 Locost 7 - Super 7th Heaven

seventhheaven

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bellhousing

Well, I managed to answer one of my own questions.
Duratorq and Duratec engines do not have remotely similar bellhousings. They are several inches different.

So the Transit box option is definately out.

My next quest is the MT82 from a 2006+ Land Rover V8 / Range Rover Sport box. According to 'the web' the MT82 was a development of the MT75. Another hybrid possibility.

Even if it fits, I'd still have the problem of flywheels to sort.

Because I'm going 4x4, I think I am resigned to using an adaptor plate. Obviously there will have to be some very accurate measurements done. If I don't, the clutch will slip, the starter munch and the car vibrate until my teeth loosen.

I'm slowly getting the AJ-V8 drawn up in 3D. After taking numermous American V8's apart, I can't help being impressed at the Jaguar engine. The engineering is one aspect but the aesthetic symmetry and quality of finish is incredible!
Having once fractured a vertibrae moving a Chevy V8, I can't believe how light some of the engine parts are!

My 4x4 Supercharged 4.0 Jaguar V8 Haynes roadster based project is finally starting to come together.

see my progress at www.super7thheaven.co.uk

KFC

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
specs

quote:
Originally posted by Piledhigher
I just ordered my AJ-V8 motor from a breaker. Anybody know what manual transmission Jag is using (if any at all) on their cars using this motor?

Cory

Hey,
Did you ever fit the engine? Did you weigh the engine bare or without all the auxiliaries that you wouldn't use/ IE, power steering pump, A/C pump ect.. Did you tune the engine for more power?
Just wondered as I can't find any info on it at all.

Kevin

mark chandler

posted on 9/5/13 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
From his blog the AJ8 was given up on and he went for a rover v8 mated to a MT75 box

FYI the jag box mentioned earlier from XJS's is a getrag 265 which also appears in large BMW's in both cases the bolt pattern is different to the AJ8 engine.

seventhheaven

posted on 9/5/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
That's right, the engine is still sitting in the corner of the garage. If anyone wants a free block for mocking up - pm me. I think the big ends are poorly. There is also a brand new front cover.
All going free - Collection only. West Dorset.

Coffee table?

Getting the engine management running was proving both tricky and expensive, then a very low mileage and more importantly 'free' JE motors tuned Rover came up. The Jag engine was simply forgotten about or I chickened out - your choice.

I have a Lexus V8 for the next project.

If anyone needs what I started but didn't finish of the AJ-V8 CAD then it is here:
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Components

[Edited on 9/5/13 by seventhheaven]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.