Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who does a good zetec exhaust manifold ?
big_wasa

posted on 2/4/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Who does a good zetec exhaust manifold ?

As the title says who does a good quality zetec exhaust manifold?????(7 esq)

I tried mnr but they told me id got no chance as they where flat out with shows and racing for the next few months..
Dont fancy the westfield one as it has shorter primarys Im told the longer ones work better on the zetec????
Somebody out there must want my money???????????? what has every body elts got?????????

tri

posted on 2/4/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
erm have you tried mk they might beable to sort you out but i don't really know just know they have long primary
James

posted on 2/4/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Martin Keenan at:

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk

would be my first stop.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

stevebubs

posted on 3/4/05 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger?
Danozeman

posted on 3/4/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think i read on here somewhere from garage19 IIRC that the crossflow or pinto manifolds fit as the ports line up u just have to redrill the head for the studs....

Garage19 are u there???

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

lsdweb

posted on 4/4/05 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
big_wasa

I used Mark Fisher (Fisher cars), as I had a Fisher Fury before this one and Mark is always very helpful. The manifold was a perfect fit.

Regards

Wyn

Big Stu

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
The crossflow will not fit normally as the two center exhaust ports on the xflow are together.

To get my zetec on the road, I used a lolocost exhaust from a crossflow, and welded a flange from a zetec on.

lsdweb

posted on 7/4/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
There's a photo of the Fisher manifold in my photo archive:

Zetec / fisher exhaust Manifold

tomm

posted on 7/4/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I just fitted a Zetec, and checked on all the likely suppliers:
Raceco were about 500quid - Bunch of Saddo's!
whilst the best I could find for the price was surprisingly WESTFIELD at 242pounds delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!:

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
lsdweb....

How long are the primarys???
Noticed you have got the raceline water rail was this a good investmant???
Why are you running a seperate crank sensor/wheel when the zetec has one as standard??????
regards warren

lsdweb

posted on 8/4/05 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Warren

I'll try and measure the primaries later this evening for you.

The Raceline water rail was an essential as the engine sits quite a long way back and the standard thermostat would never have fitted! The photo in my archive here shows the engine right up against the chassis rail. I could, probably, have achieved this by getting somebody to make something up but that would have taken time I didn't have!

I've used a front mounted crank sensor as the engine has a CVH flywheel which can be lightened much more than the Zetec (as the Zetec can only be machined a certain amount before you lose the timing holes apparently).

This complicated the build slightly as it had to 'timed up' but gave me a lightweight flywheel at the fraction of the cost of a lightweight zetec item, and is a straight fit.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 8/4/05 by lsdweb]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/4/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomm
I just fitted a Zetec, and checked on all the likely suppliers:
Raceco were about 500quid - Bunch of Saddo's!
whilst the best I could find for the price was surprisingly WESTFIELD at 242pounds delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Unless you know its a good proven design, don't make a decision purely on price though. Ive just spent £500 or so on a manifold for my R1 conversion and you can see where the extra money goes in terms of finish and design. I bet you don't get collectors finished like this on a £250 manifold!

Promotive Exhaust Insides
Promotive Exhaust Insides

The place that built mine also builds manifolds for half the British Superbike and World Superbike teams amongst others.

cheers

Chris

lsdweb

posted on 8/4/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Warren

The primaries run horizontally for about 11" before dropping vertically. This distance is measured from the face of the manifold to the inside of the primary: therefore, you'll need a maximum distance from the head to the outside chassis rail of about 10.5 "

I hope this helps.

Regards

Wyn

big_wasa

posted on 8/4/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks ,,,,,,,
fell lucky with my fly wheel...Scholar engines had one that did'nt meat the Formula Ford spec ???????? That I could have for £40 I think he said it was about 7kg but have not weighed it myself yet....

tomm

posted on 9/4/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield Zetec S/S manifold is absolutely top quality item, you even get a warantee and a westfield logo and part number plate welded on. oh it also has a lambda sensor mount complete with blanking plug, essential if using EFI. Don't know or care what the inside looks like - does anyone other than an anorak care??????? botom line is a quality part at a great price, surely thats what all locost builders want.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Errrm, a good design and internal finish helps something called the exhaust gasses get out better and gain you more power and torque so I'd say its THE most important bit, not how shiny it is on the outside
I wasnt saying specifically that the Westie item wasn't any good though, just that in general its daft to buy something as important to performance as the exhaust, purely on price alone

tomm

posted on 10/4/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Chris
Understand what you are saying about internal finish, BUT my point is that after the sad bods who own caterhams. Westfield are the best known of the 7 type car producers, having been making them for 17-18 years, surely it's reasonable to assume that an ex manifold that they supply will have holes to allow the ex gasses to escape out of! i'm sure that like polished heads, internally polished ex manifolds won't add anything significant to the power/torque figures. of course you can take photo's of the internal finish to show other owners jsut how good it was prior to use. but then surely that's anorak territory?? a point i made in the previous entry.
If you can afford Raceco's price for a manifold which looks similar and does the same job as the Westfield, you ought to own a Caterham.
I phoned all likely suppliers of zetec manifolds, and surprisingly only 3 made their own[or had it made for them] most could get one made for you at a price, the westfield item is off the shelf for next day delivery. at a reasonable price, though still not as cheap as I was hoping for. after all I'm building a locost!! so price counts for something, that's part of the fun. If I owned a Caterham I'd not admit to shopping around for the best price, but would be bragging that I'd fitted a Raceco

ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/4/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'll refrain from replying to the personal judgements you seem to make of me, I dont want to turn this into a slanging match
If you read it again, my original reply was more a retort at your flippant comment about Raceco being a "bunch of saddos", you're not really being fair on them by saying that because you're not comparing like for like, its like saying a company selling fully custom designed kitchens is "sad" because its twice the price of a B&Q flatpack! If you had gone to Raceco they would have designed a manifold exactly for your engine spec to improve performance, and to fit your car perfectly, you're not getting the same from the Westfield or any ther off-the-shelf manifold - so they dont necessarily do EXACTLY the same job!
Westfield like any others make these things to a tight budget to keep the overall price down, and its a "one design fits all" philosophy regardless of your actual engine or fitment requirements, how many tuned Westies do you see still with the factoy exhaust manifold on, not many I would hazard a guess.

rocket

posted on 11/4/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
manifolds

www.shinybitz.co.cuk make manifolds in st/st.
They developed the system shown here for Westfields s200 ( 265bhp duratec) Rescued attachment Picture 077.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 077.jpg

rocket

posted on 11/4/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Manifolds

Sorry forgot to mention, 26" primaries equal length
big_wasa

posted on 13/4/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks they look the doggs ****** I have seen simlar item on ebay in the states for not a lot of money but im not sure it will fit the phase 1 silver top motor..

Thanks for your help guys

Jeffers_S13

posted on 14/4/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
There is a westfield Zetec manifold on ebay at the mo for not much money.
ned

posted on 14/4/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
that shiny bits manifodl looks dreadful imho i can't believe it flows very well with all those tight radii bends in it?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 15/4/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was bidding on that but it went for silly money about £206....with postage ..The new one is only £245 ish and I think that is with post aswell???????....

Yeh the shinny bits ---looks nice But I doubt that it will flow aswell as even the wetfield one.......But if some one proves me wrong Ill be happy to stick my hand in my pocket for that sort of cash........

andybod

posted on 15/4/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to but in but rocket how much you charging for zetec manifold's and system's want zetec not duratec thank.s
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.