Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: head skimming
MB

posted on 29/1/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
head skimming

My locost building has been skuppered by my main car blowing is head gasket this evening...

Took it to a garage and decided to do the job my self as they were going to charge £500! One of the things they said they were going to do was to skim the head. Is that necessary?

Its a 9 year old Astra 8v 1.4i. with about 85k on the clock (if that's useful information). The garage said as is was an alloy head is should definately be skimmed. Were they taking me for a ride, or should I get it skimmed?

If it does need a skim, how much should I be paying?

Thanks!

Viper

posted on 29/1/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
99 times out of a 100 you will need to skim an alli head if you have done the head gasket..its not expensive, i think the last one i done was about £35...
enjoy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MB

posted on 29/1/03 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

I'll get it skimmed then... do they like you to remove the valves? I would imagine they would get in the may of the mill cutter as at least a couple of valves will be lowered.

Viper

posted on 29/1/03 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
i don't know your head , but the will the valves be open with the cam removed?? i have left them in when i have had pinto heads done..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 29/1/03 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
when the cam box comes off all the valves will shut so no need to remove them,remember new head bolts and timing belt,dont use house hold silicone sealer for cam box usu the right stuff or it will leak

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jollygreengiant

posted on 30/1/03 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
When you put the head back on, but before you fit the hydraulic lifters(/posts) take each one & with a piece of cloth at each end (ball with pin & flat base) place carefully into vice and compress slowly so that the oil contained inside comes out of the little pin holes in the sides.
The shoulder below the ball will go almost flush with the retaining ring. Or if you've got a lot of time to spare you can take each one to pieces, clean & reassemble. This will prevent the posibility of a valve locking down & twating a piston when you come to start it.
Also try to keep each finger with the lobe that it runs under.

Enjoy.

david walker

posted on 30/1/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
The head will need skimming. Whoever skims it will (or should) leave the valves in. Make sure it is cleaned thoroughly afterwards.

Be aware that old Vauxhall heads also corrode quite badly, to the point that skimming will either not remove all of the damage or if it does it will go too low. Do not allow more than .030" to be removed - a reputable machine shop won't anyway. If the head is corroded badly it will need corrosion grinding out and alooy welding. If it's welded, strip valves out and clean. Lap valves back onto seats.

I presume your garage is in Mayfair or similar. I run a fair sized engine shop and we charge £20 + vat for a straightforward skim, a typical Vauxhall that requires weld and skim would be £35 + vat. Assuming your Astra is spi and not multipoint we would do the whole job for £170 + vat. Not touting for business, just telling you what the costs are around here.

JJG - your'e right about the lifters, in respect of bleeding them out, but I don't know how someone in his garage at home is going to strip them down?????

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

johnston

posted on 31/1/03 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
get it done for less than 150

get haynes mag
head gasket set
timin belt
oil/filt
and do it yourself

done my old 1300 (no head skim) in a hour but cut a lotta corners

MB

posted on 31/1/03 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good job you mentioned about the hydraulic lifters - that bit is not in the haynes manual!

Got the head skimmed (less than 30 thou removed). Just spent the evening grinding the valves - hopefully I'll have it back together tomorrow.

When you press the hydraulic lifters will they stay compressed and then open out when you start up? I'm assuming that they are to automatically adjust the cam to valve gap. Will this mean that it will rattle for a few seconds until they have expanded?

Thanks for the advice - my next post should be locost related when I get this problem sorted!

jollygreengiant

posted on 1/2/03 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MB
When you press the hydraulic lifters will they stay compressed

No they have springs inside them but when they have been used they are full of (thick, cold, old) oil as well and they extend once out of restraint/compression from the cam & fingers. Press the oil out and this will mean that instead of having a hydrualicly locked piston you will have a piston that moves so that when you reassemble the fingers will be able, with the valves closed for the most parts to allow the ball post pistons in the hydraulic adjusters to set themselves to the right height for starting and once the engine is running and you have oil pressure then the piston ( springs & valves inside do all the work) adjusts its self to the right hieght automaticaly. Turn the engine of and after a very long while any valves that are open would slowly lever against the camshaft and do what you are doing with a vice any way.

and then open out when you start up?
I'm assuming that they are to automatically adjust the cam to valve gap.

Answer in above.

Will this mean that it will rattle for a few seconds until they have expanded?

Not normally. Unless your engine is the Ford 8V twin cam 2.0litre. Then the answer is most definately yes and for anything up to 3-4hrs and they sound like you've left something major loose in the engine and you have an overwhelming desire to turn it off. Ford actually recommend on this engine that you take the engine revs up to 2500/3000 because this can help to reduce the rattle time to an hour. And those of you who HAVE heard one of those engines started after having had the head off will know exactly what I mean about RATTLE.

Thanks for the advice - my next post should be locost related when I get this problem sorted!

Enjoy.

Stu16v

posted on 1/2/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
But to expand on what JJG has said it will sound like you have left a bag of spanners in the engine on first start up!
Most VX engines will quieten in seconds, but sometimes you will have a persistent one or two that will 'hang on' and rattle for a bit longer. A quick run up the road usually sorts it.
HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.