Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water pipes - rubber or alloy?
RazMan

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Water pipes - rubber or alloy?

I'm sorting out the plumbing on my middy and need to decide which material to use for the 32mm main radiator hoses which run the full length of the car (down the central tunnel). I could just use rubber all the way but many builders tend to change to alloy tube for the long runs.

Pro's and con's anybody?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used copper as easy to get bends etc for. If on show you can get plated finish cheap. Also easier to mount a rigid pipe over a long length.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

tadltd

posted on 8/12/05 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb: use metal tubing as much as you can and have as few connections as possible.

The metal tubing gives an extra heat rejection path (make sure they're not near skin!), and fewer joins give less trouble with leaks and pressure loss.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 8/12/05 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the use of as much ally as possible. Lighter, and can be cheaper than rubber

For cheap molded rubber bends in 38 mm ID, you can cut RAM part number RH 7159 into a 90 and a 45 deg bend, and RH 7442 into a 45 and two approx 22.5 deg bends

Here's what I did

Cheers

Fred WB

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=30565

[Edited on 8/12/05 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 8/12/05 by Fred W B]

NS Dev

posted on 8/12/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sound advice from TAD and Fred, completely agree.

Worth bearing in mind that hygienic 316 stainless steel tube is pretty cheap at £25 for 3m od 1.5"

andyharding

posted on 8/12/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
28mm copper pipe is cheap and easy to work with and once powder coated doesn't look like you've installed a kitchen sink:

Powder Coated Parts
Powder Coated Parts

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

RazMan

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys - I won't look at curtain rails in the same way ever again!

I would be a little concerned that 28mm copper, although Andy's looks great, is too small for my V6. I am reducing a 38mm hose down to 32mm for convenience as it is, so to reduce a further 10mm might give me cooling problems.

As recommended I will make the straight runs in 32mm alloy (with 12mm for heater) Adding a couple of 90 & 45 degree bends and a reducer should sort it out. I nearly forgot about the header tank in my eagerness - CBS do a nice one or I might even try cramming in the Ford one for now.

My only concern is that the alloy pipes will soak a lot of heat into the cabin so I might need to insulate it in some way to avoid cooking my left arm

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

NS Dev

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
You can get the aluminium-cloth heat matting, cut it into strips and then wrap it around the tube and staple it shut around it. I have done this a few times on clutch cables etc and on the pump motor on my XR4x4.........it never stops working in hot weather now!!
RazMan

posted on 8/12/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea - CBS to the rescue

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.