Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lobro bolts... easy
givemethebighammer

posted on 4/3/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lobro bolts... easy

Made short work of removing the lobro bolts from my diff last night. Half hour soak in penetrating oil, then I used 1 halfords professional T40 Torx bit and a 12v electric impact wrench (I picked it up for £20 last summer and hadn't used it until last night). 12 bolts in 20 minutes, all out in one piece and the T40 bit still very much intact (to my amazement, I'd told the guy at halfords I'd probably be bringing it back after the weekend for a new one, when I told him it was driveshaft bolts I was using it on he agreed !).

Rescued attachment impact-wrench-smaller_320x268.jpg
Rescued attachment impact-wrench-smaller_320x268.jpg

Paul (Notts)

posted on 4/3/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I Have a Dewalt electric impact wrench (230v) gives over 400NM of torque in forward or reverse - makes simple work of most jobs...

( will soon reach 200 posts... )
( 7 quick posts on the way.. )

[Edited on 4/3/06 by Paul (Notts)]

auzziejim

posted on 4/3/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
i have a cordless impact gun at work and its so useful gets used and abused daily, just wish i could afford one for home too
Russ-Turner

posted on 4/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bah, they won't miss it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 4/3/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mines just a cheap 12 volt item, like I said cost me £20. It was worth that just for the trouble it saved me on those lobros.

Fair few on ebay, you should be able to find one under £30

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-IMPACT-WRENCH-GUN-WITH-SOCKETS_W0QQitemZ8041997182QQcategoryZ30900QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-VEHICLE-CAR-IMPACT-DRIVER-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ8043934171QQcategoryZ30900QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-VOLT-IMPACT-WRENCH-SET-1-2-SQUARE-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ7595026714QQcategoryZ22664QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Wheen-Nut-Gun-Impact-Wrench_W0QQitemZ8041834241QQcategoryZ28641QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in fact machine mart do one for £25

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060810013&r=2047&g=107

viatron

posted on 4/3/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
dont even mess with lobro bolts anymore just cut the heads off with a grinder as i always end up replacing them.

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed_crouch

posted on 4/3/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
So are the leccy monkey guns actually comparable in effectiveness to the pneumatic ones??

I would have bought one by now, but I just cant beleive theyd be any good??

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

muzchap

posted on 5/3/06 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used my mates SNAP ON impact gun - it saved hours and has been fantastic.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd buy one

Can't recommend em enough - apparently Air Tools are just as good (if you have compressor! )

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

SALAD

posted on 5/3/06 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
Did mine today too. Air gun was broken so had to do it by hand, used an impact driver thingy.....went through two torx bits and took some nice chunks out of my knuckles.....lovely!
I won the battle in the end though!

OX

posted on 5/3/06 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
i'd love a dewalt or snap on gun.i borrowed one and didnt want to give it back.i think im becoming a bit of tool tart.
impact drivers were banned from our workshop before i'd even got there

salty_monk

posted on 5/3/06 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
I Sell ones with 250lbft of torque in the US.

They are pretty good. Quality varies a lot on diff models.

Never be as good as an air powered one but much better than nowt...

omega0684

posted on 5/3/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
does anybody know where you can get new lobro bolts from? i had to angle grind a couple of mine off or r they just available from the ford stealer (dealer, stealer as they take all your money off your)

ALex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

greggors84

posted on 5/3/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah available from Ford dealers, cant remember how much they are, but not outrageous.

Saying this, im sure i've heard of people paying different amounts as sometimes if they dont have them in they have a minimum order.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Peteff

posted on 5/3/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
does anybody know where you can get new lobro bolts from?

Why not replace them with caphead allen bolts while they're out? Bolt suppliers will have them in.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 5/3/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
this "minimum order"gets me,spark plugs come in a box of 10 but you dont have to buy 10 if they dont have your type in stock

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NS Dev

posted on 6/3/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
does anybody know where you can get new lobro bolts from? i had to angle grind a couple of mine off or r they just available from the ford stealer (dealer, stealer as they take all your money off your)

ALex

For goodness sake don't put the poxy torx crap back in again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just buy a load of M8 x 50 capheads, 12.9 class (they will be anyway) and replace them all with those. Dirt cheap from any bolt supplier, just as strong as the torx ones and you'll get them undone next time!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jon_boy

posted on 7/3/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
A chap at work bought a snap on gun recently and he reckons its more powerful than the air guns, except big bertha which just snaps bolts anyway. bloomin expansive though. Are all bolts made from 12.9? thats pretty strong stuff!
DIY Si

posted on 7/3/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
No, you generally have to ask for them. My local place does 8.8 as standard as they are an engineering supplier. Just ask at the local bolt place, they'll have some. If not you may have to order a box, but then you'll have spares, so not really a bad thing.
Peteff

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
My local bolt supplier is within walking distance and will sell you any quantity or combination of bolts, nuts and washers. I recently went in and asked for a box of m12 washers thinking they would be in 100s like the other stuff. The boxes of washers they buy in contain 12,000 . He filled me a bag and charged me £1.50, I think I'm up on the deal. His caphead bolts are 12.9 black finish and are cheaper if you don't ask for a receipt for some reason .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DIY Si

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Same with my place. They kind of weigh by hand what you've got and say "fiver?" Unless you want a receipt. In which case they get annoyed as they have to use the computer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.