Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE-diz to static.
JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
XE-diz to static.

Hi i have a C20XE motor from a Cav GSi-which was on a dizzy system. Is it possible to change over to a crank sensor version by adding the crank sensor in the block-ie is all the relevant stuff inside the engine to run this. Thing is i want to run an ECU for the carbs at present-then possibly move onto TB's in the future. So i think it would be easier to convert my motor to run a standard crank sensor as the parts are readily available.

Cheers, John.

ned

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
John,

All xe's use the crank sensor in addition to either the standard dizzy ir the later wasted park coil pack. Sounds like you want an old second hand mbe ignition only ecu for carbs and then a programable ecu for throttle bodies.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one Ned thats exactly what i want to do. I've been looking at some ECU's-Weber Alpha, Emerald etc. 2nd hand, but i know some are based on dizzy motors, and some on static based ones. I will obviously need a static one as i dont have a dizzy. So can i just refit a new crank sensor to the block and use this in a new ECU? Are XE's 60-2 on the wheel? I want to be able to generate the sparks on carbs, then update to TB's and remap to suit, with the addition of fuelling.

What would i need to run this system-is it just the crank trigger lead which should just bolt onto the block? How much are these leads likely to cost?

Thanks again, John.

Megatron-UK

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've just been looking at this myself - I'm currently running twin 45's and a dizzy with a single coil pack, works fine but obviously not the best or tuneable solution.

Have a look at the MegasquirtNSpark setup, aparently you can use the Vauxhalls block mounted crank sensor to directly drive the ecu, replacing the dizzy with direct fire coil packs - it's also got 12x12 ignition maps and will be able to handle your injection or throttle body requirements when you decide to upgrade.

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i'm thinking of the MS-i already have the MJ-although not fitted-long way off yet-just liking the idea of a system that looks stock-and saves me having to fit trigger wheels etc. for the Edis system.

So i'm thinking of selling all my stuff and putting it towards a different ECU that will run a standard XE (60-2???) setup. I can also add a TPS to the carbs to make 3D, then swap to TB's further on.

I just need to know if i can add the VX crank trigger lead for my VR sensor.

Thanks again, John.

ned

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a race car that was fitted with a simple retarder box as they measured what a 2d mbe ignition-only box actually did and all it did was step the ignition to retard it at a certain rpm, very very basic. I'm not an electronics guru but they rigged up a simple box/circuit that did the same function at the fracrtion of the price of an mbe system.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
As ned said, you've already got crank sensor lead attached to block ( or you should have) you just use that with an aftermarket system.
If you cant find a secondhand system on ebay, tradermags etc.
Save yourself hassle and buy a new MBE system from SBD or Yukspeed for about £400.
Dave

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm interesting idea Ned.

With regards to the VX setup-i guess i'd need the corresponding standard VX coil pack/packs to fire the sparks-any ideas how much one of these would cost along with VR sensor? Anyone got pics so i can have a looky down scrappy?

Cheers, John.

NS Dev

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Try and get an MBE 956 E ecu mate.

They are cheap, I can give you pinouts, wiring loom diagrams etc etc etc, plus mapping software.

They are a full injection management system, but can be run just controlling ign alone. They read the stock crank trigger and a throttle pot, plus water temp and air temp.

The 956E ecu was only £315 new about 8 years ago so s/h ones are cheap now.

PS of course will run dizzyless (both mine do) just use an internally amped corsa/astra 1400/1600 16v coil pack.

[Edited on 4/4/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent thanks for that mate. Does the XE have the correct outputs for water/air temp sensors also?
ned

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
water is on the thermostat housing, you'd have to fit the air sensor near the inlet as you won't use the standard inlet manifold..

Ned.

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant-so sell all my MJ & Edis stuff, replace the crank sensor lead and get a VX coilpack and aftermarket ECU which runs the standard VX 60-2 wheel.

Nice one guys.

ned

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
yep, pretty much - loads of pics in my archive of my ongoing build if you wanna have a look, or just ask any questions on here, a few of us often pop up to answer them

rusty

posted on 4/4/06 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
The XE dizzy also has a hall affect pick and the no-dizzy system also had this it was a small unit that bolted on the end of the cam shaft seperate from the dizzy pack.
NS Dev

posted on 4/4/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JJM
Brilliant-so sell all my MJ & Edis stuff, replace the crank sensor lead and get a VX coilpack and aftermarket ECU which runs the standard VX 60-2 wheel.

Nice one guys.

find the MBE 956 ecu before you sell the other stuff though! You will find one but they don't crop up that often.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ok mate-although i'm a long way off needing it all yet mind-thinking of bundling it all together as a package with twin 45 Dellortos, manifold, Megajolt etc. then Ebaying it all. Have my eye on a Weber Alpha box-cheapish at the mo-with VX maps on it already.

Thanks again.

MikeRJ

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JJM

Nice one guys.

Why do you need to replace the crank sensor lead?

NS Dev

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was guessing he meant cos it had disintegrated, they usually do on these!!

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I assumed i didnt have one already-is this it-below no.1 exhaust? Rescued attachment DSCF2216.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF2216.JPG

NS Dev

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
certainly is and it looks like it hasn't disintegrated either, jobs a goodun! You just need the input from that and a throttle pot plus the water temp sensor and you have all the inputs needed for a system. Air temp is nice to have as well and no big job to sort.

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ok nice one-so wheres the water temp sensor again-in the thermostat housing? Do all XE's have these as standard if so i must have one somewhere. I had the Megajolt built for a TPS and got one from a Mondeo to put on the 45's-so i could keep this or sell on if i change to TB's which will have one fitted probably/maybe.

I'm liking this-but obviously i'd need an ECU specifically for the 60-2 setup-if say i got an ECU from a Zetec with a different crank sensor (36-1) could i wipe the map and download an XE (60-2) onto it-or is that a hardware change?

Sorry for all the questions i'm getting things a little clearer in my numbskull now.

NS Dev

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
blue plug on the thermostat housing mate, look upwards from the crank sensor and it should smack you in the eye!

yes, you can change the trigger patterns, usually easily, as long as they are regular ones like the two you mention (don't worry about the complex irregular ones used on some engines)

On the MBE 956 setup you just select on a menu from one trigger wheel of the other.

[Edited on 4/4/06 by NS Dev]

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bingo-sorted then.

Thanks mate looks like my MJ & Edis is goin on Ebay lol.

ned

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
you can see both sensors in this pic of mine: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1929b.jpg

JJM

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Beauty motor Ned-nice one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.