Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Run-on coolant pump??
jmbillings

posted on 24/4/02 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Run-on coolant pump??

Our rad fan runs for ages after stopping, and the cause is obvious: although the fan is spinning, all it is cooling is the water in the rad- the stuff in the engine is bubbling away merrily.
What we need is some sort of electric water pump that can circulate the water after we have switched off so the fan actually does something... I have seen the likes of Demon Tweeks selling posh computer controlled water pumps that look like turbo's (and cost as much) but thats a bit too pricey! Just want something small and simple that can be wired inline with the fan switch so it runs until everything is cooled down...

Any ideas?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andya

posted on 25/4/02 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Renault use small electric pumps in R19-16v and R5 GT Turbos to do just that, relay controlled and run on after engine stopped.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/5/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
As 99.9% of road cars dont have such a run on pump, why do you think you need one?

The reason your fan runs on is that you should have connected it so it turns off when you take out the ignition key.

Also, as most fans only really come on in hot weather, or in slow or standing traffic, I wonder if your problem is actually an undersized rad or insufficent air flow, causing the ran to actually be on when you switch off anyway.

atb

Steve

jmbillings

posted on 4/5/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nah- the fan comes on a minute or two *after* stopping the engine. The temp never gets too hot during driving, and the fan cuts in and out ok if in traffic for a while... its just the way that it comes on after stopping suggests the water is heating up after the engine stops (due to the heat of the block) but isn't being cooled as when the fan comes on it only cools what is in the rad. My dads old renault used to have the fan run on after stopping, presumably same reason. Maybe its not to be worried about, but I would have thought water boiling up every time the engine is stopped is a bad thing? Still, if every other car can cope, maybe I shouldnt worry!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/5/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I recon its ok.

When I had my jag V12 a couple years back, a reccomended mod is to have a timer relay make a supplementary fan come on for 2 or 3 mins. This is cos the old V12 is a shoe horn fit, and is a friggin great lump of heat containing 28 pints (yeah!) or water.

The heat soak is supposed to degrade rubber and plastic bits after a while and sometimes cause difficult starting. You dont wanna be push starting a 2 tonne automatic car.

ATB

Steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/5/02 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
typo.....

Its 38 pints actually - and 20 pints of oil.

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.