Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota 4-AGE installation questions
Kelvin

posted on 24/4/03 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota 4-AGE installation questions

Hi All,

having decided on a Toy otter twin cam and seeing that there are a few similarly minded people here, can I take the time to probe your minds?

Installation wise, in a physical nuts and bolts sense, whats the score? having sold my last chassis to buy another to go racing (yeah, that plan got shelved too!) I'm either looking at an MK or a plain 'book' chassis. Is there any modification needed to either to place the engine sensibly inside? if so, whats involved.

Efi or carbs? preferences? ease of installation?

If anyones got any pics, stories (both horror and happy!) I'd love to hear them.

Hope to hear from you soon,

kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
You might be interested in this month's Which Kit (May 2003) - they're doing a feature on the Toyota 1600 4-AGE engine.

The article's based on Raw Engineering's offerings, but it's a good general description.

DJ

Kelvin

posted on 24/4/03 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the heads up.

kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddymcclements

posted on 24/4/03 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of MK, why not consider Stuart Taylor? Since they are responsible for the LocoRAGE along with RAW Engineering they have all the engine mounts and tunnel mods worked out (at least if you're going for a Ford Type 9 'box and the RAW bellhousing).

If you can find a T-50 Toyota 'box from a RWD Corolla so much the better since you'll save the 150 quid needed for the bellhousing, although you may spend almost as much on the gearbox.

The installation can get expensive though, by the time you've bought carbs/throttle bodies and an aftermarket ECU and had it set up. The stock injection system can be retained, but it'll never fit under a Locost bonnet. Rob Lane has had his manifold cut and welded to overcome this, while I have made my own plenum/manifold to fit under the bonnet line. Click on Rob's name to have a look at his site, or click here to go to mine.

Cheers,

Eddy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.