Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0 Zetec Plumbing
Krismc

posted on 25/6/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 Zetec Plumbing

Right my set is as below on my black top zetec, i have the 2 rad connections the water pump connection, the main water rail connection(above thermo), my top and bottom expansion tank connections, as what looks to be a hole in side of waterrail which could be utilised if needed!

basically what goes where!!!!????

[Edited on 25/6/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

andyharding

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'd do it like this assuming the small take-off on the water rail is the highest point and before the thermostat.

Zetec Plumbing
Zetec Plumbing

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Krismc

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
it aint the highest point its nearly the highest point the thermostat and rail outlet is over a inch higher!

and how high does the expansion tank have to be???

andyharding

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
That should be OK.

The top of the expansion tank needs to be the highest point on the whole system at a minimum.

[Edited on 25/6/06 by andyharding]

Krismc

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
so the water pump takes water from expansion tank and from the bottom radiator hose!!

andyharding

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, the top hose on the expansion tank should only be about 8mm though. This bleeds out air and lets the whole system come up to temp and then when the stat opens the much bigger hoses through the rad are less restrictive.

andyharding

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add I haven't had a Zetec running like this but have done over 1K miles on my Pinto plumbed almost like this and it's worked very well.

stevebubs

posted on 26/6/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
I'd do it like this assuming the small take-off on the water rail is the highest point and before the thermostat.

Zetec Plumbing
Zetec Plumbing

This looks fine but I think most people drill a 3mm hole in the thermostat for warmup circulation

andyharding

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a good idea as the small take-off on the manifold is quite a way from the stat.

roadboy

posted on 26/6/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
The plumbing is correct, make sure the hose from the expansion tank to the bottom hose isn't too largeas the pumpwill pull the water down from the tank.
Cheers
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 26/6/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
it aint the highest point its nearly the highest point the thermostat and rail outlet is over a inch higher!

and how high does the expansion tank have to be???

Don't think there's really a set size. However, you do need to be careful as to the pressure cap fitted either on the rail or the header tank (one only remember). I think the zetec cooling system likes to run at a slightly higher pressure to most road cars.

I fitted an expansion tank like the one from Westfield to my car, but one from any zetec-engined car will do...

Krismc

posted on 26/6/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a MNR Alli tank to be fitted, and ive already got a 3mm hole in the thermostat, but ill plumb in as you say!!

And tell you the results!

stevebubs

posted on 26/6/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW,

I've only just come back from Le Mans....pretty intense heat (35deg+)... and cooling system didn't skip a beat.

Did fit the reverse impellor before I went, though...

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t= 32834;hl=stevebubs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.