Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing a C20XE with a C20LET
apex

posted on 15/7/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing a C20XE with a C20LET

I have a Locost with a 150 hp Vaux C20XE and a Volvo 360 gear box. Thing is that I´ve found a 300 hp C20LET that fits the car. I´m tempted, but should I go for the swap?

Anyone who have made the same swap?

Volvorsport

posted on 15/7/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
dont expect the gearbox to last then !!!!

cant understand why you would use a vauxhall in sweden when a volvo turbo motor would slot right on the 360 stuff

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

apex

posted on 15/7/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox on the 360 is the classic M47 used on Volvo 240 turbo etc.

The diff is unique AFAIK, for the 360.

The drive shatfs are a mix of Volvo 360 and Suzuki Swift (used for brakes/hubs).

I was planning to engineer som new drive shafts this winter anyway, instead of the welded shite.

Volvorsport

posted on 15/7/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
what i meant was 300 hp will kill that 360 gearbox .

have you got it fitted at the rear like the360 - would like to see some pictures of that .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

apex

posted on 15/7/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK, here is some of it Rescued attachment Bild 033ny.jpg
Rescued attachment Bild 033ny.jpg

apex

posted on 15/7/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Also, what I meeant was that the M47 is a proven, strong, gearbox
the_fbi

posted on 16/7/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Don't expect a LET to give you 300bhp without a massive intercooler which will have to be at least as large as your nosecone where it fits the body.

You'll also need to be running Phase 3 which is around 17psi held boost.

The standard KKK K16 will be working its heart out to give you 300bhp.

You really need a much more efficient turbo which will give you reduced temperatures.

Why not put on some throttle bodies and different management to enjoy an extra 50bhp without any real heat issues?

apex

posted on 16/7/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is an engine from a Calibra. It had a stock IC AFAIK, an uprated turbo (machined standard) and a chip. Is this OK?

However, if it has 270 or 300 HP is not of too much importance.

the_fbi

posted on 16/7/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the specs of this "machined standard" turbo? It will probably be a hybrid K24 or K26.

With a stock IC even with a hybrid turbo and Phase 3 chip you won't get over 270 without masses of detonation due to the heat involved and the charge temperatures.

"A chip" is? Do you know what overboost and held boost is on this chip, what fuel pressure it needs and is it on standard yellow injectors still?

LET's also don't like cone air filters, so you'll need a nice airbox on the inlet side too, which takes room.

I'd be seriously worried about heat and head gasket problems on cylinder 3 given the underbonnet temperatures and inlet charge temperatures you'll be seeing.

You'll need to budget (space and money) for a larger oil cooler than standard too.

That said you could always just install it running the standard management/actuator/boost and small IC giving 204bhp which will have excellent drivability and reliability.

Volvorsport

posted on 16/7/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
M47 aint that strong - an M90 would be better .

your in a better situation with a lighter vehicle - but if youve got anything over 250 ft/lbs torque youll be in trouble .

how have you adapted the input splines to a flange ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

the_fbi

posted on 16/7/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
but if youve got anything over 250 ft/lbs torque youll be in trouble .

In trouble with a standard LET then

ned

posted on 16/7/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
why not just spend the money on uprating the xe as already suggested?

assuming yours is currently relatively standard there must be another 50bhp available and it won't break the gearbox!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 16/7/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
assuming yours is currently relatively standard there must be another 50bhp available and it won't break the gearbox!

+ nothing sounds quite like an XE on throttle bodies

If I wasn't starting with a LET I'd put GSX-R throttle bodies and Megasquirt on. bhp per £ it has to be the way to go.

apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I might consider that option... using 300 degree cams, TB:s and a MBE ECU unit...and a ported head!
apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Do you have the specs of this "machined standard" turbo? It will probably be a hybrid K24 or K26.

With a stock IC even with a hybrid turbo and Phase 3 chip you won't get over 270 without masses of detonation due to the heat involved and the charge temperatures.

"A chip" is? Do you know what overboost and held boost is on this chip, what fuel pressure it needs and is it on standard yellow injectors still?

LET's also don't like cone air filters, so you'll need a nice airbox on the inlet side too, which takes room.

I'd be seriously worried about heat and head gasket problems on cylinder 3 given the underbonnet temperatures and inlet charge temperatures you'll be seeing.

You'll need to budget (space and money) for a larger oil cooler than standard too.

That said you could always just install it running the standard management/actuator/boost and small IC giving 204bhp which will have excellent drivability and reliability.

Insightful tips!

I had a look at the engine and it was bog standard! Just the chip, standard turbo, no hybrid AFAIK!! Standard IC.

Should I buy a big IC and complete the engine? Or mod the XE? Rescued attachment Bild 001.jpg
Rescued attachment Bild 001.jpg

apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
The IC and ECU Rescued attachment Bild 005.jpg
Rescued attachment Bild 005.jpg

apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
BTW modding an N/A may be sweet but is never most bang for the buck. Slotting in the LET and raising the pressure is practically free in comparison

..to my experience anyway..

the_fbi

posted on 17/7/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Can't really tell, but your actuator doesn't look like a standard one.

Slotting in the LET will need a new exhaust downpipe, new gearbox (unless you like the chances of your current one), much larger bar/plate intercooler and some ducting to keep the exhaust manifold nice and cool.

Even then, if you don't manage to keep the charge temps nice and cool you'll risk blowing your head gasket around cylinder 3 which is a weak spot due to heat build-up with the turbo there.

You can fit the Z20LET gasket to help with this, but if you've got a GM head rather than a coscast you then risk your head deciding to crack between oil/water ways in the future. Best left alone.

On the price font, a decent LET with loom/ecu/turbo should cost more than bike TB's and megasquirt.

Enjoy!
Chris

PS. my daily driver is a ~280bhp Phase 2 LET in a Calibra.

[Edited on 17/7/06 by the_fbi]

apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Wot actuator?

I´ve spent £30 k on tuning my VX220 from 150 to 220 HP.... and it isnt even mapped yet...

U need a p&p head, new cams and springs, the TB:s, the new ECU and a big-bore ex-mani, I guess, to get 50 new HP?

Buying this LET for £800 and an IC for 100 to keep temperatures low, using a chip already installed seems cheaper?

[Edited on 17/7/06 by apex]

[Edited on 17/7/06 by apex]

the_fbi

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wastegate actuator, on the top of the exhaust manifold/turbo. The cylindrical silver thingy with a vacuum connection.

GSX-R throttle bodies should cost you less than £100, new inlet manifold will be max £200, airfilter max £100, FPR £50, megasquirt ECU and a rolling road setup £400. Total = £850. And thats worst case scenarios.

Don't really need the head sorting and cams unless you really want to, the standard head is pretty good. Cams you can always add a later date if you feel you need to, although I wouldn't want to lose the nice low down torque of the XE, and there's no need in such a light car.

The above setup won't see you over 200bhp without head/cams but if you can do some of the fabrication yourself could cost you well under £500 which is a bargain.

If you do go for cams/headwork I'd also invest in some ARP bolts and if you really want a screamer than some new rods too, but that just doubled your initial spend.

Why didn't you just stick a Z20LET (or even the C20LET) into the VX220?

apex

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, in Sweden a engine swap in the Vx220 is illegal.
ned

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
if its of any help here's a few pics opf my xe build, ithough its still running quite a mild cam:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=ned&folder=engine
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_2089b.jpg
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_2092b.jpg

but by the sounds of it you want one liek this:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Im001311.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
apex

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
That looks nice. Also, that power would be a thrill!

Wot kind of TB:s are u running? Is it the SBD kit? Jenveys? Price???

ned

posted on 18/7/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
they're QED tb's, made by jenvey for QED but i think you can only by them from QED as they're made under contract. i bought them second hand with a dta ecu and loom, fitler, pressure regulator, wasted coil pack etc for about £1200

apex

posted on 18/7/06 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
OK, thanx!

Does anyone make a inlet for the GSX-R TB:s??

And what diameter are those compared to the QED/Jenveys?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.