Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silly idea of an exhaust?
JackNco

posted on 19/9/06 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Silly idea of an exhaust?

Hey all, me again with another silly question....

Ive been thinking about differnt ideas for an exhaust. i want to use a zetec engine but i gues it might be cool with any car engined kit

Ok so hered my silly idea, Would there be any problems using 2 bike exhaust silencers? one on eace side?

I was thinking something like these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-SILENCER-EXHAUST-6552-95B-65863-95C_W0QQitemZ260031834522QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10458QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On one each side, with 2 cylinders flowing in to each. would bea bit different n im sure it woudl sound lovely.

I am sure im missing something obdviouse but let me knwo what you think

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
millenniumtree

posted on 19/9/06 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
You'd have to tackle the obvious tube routing and heat issues, plus it might add a bit of weight to the car...

But I'm sure most would forgive all if you made it work, because a pair of those beauties would look pretty sweet.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JackNco

posted on 19/9/06 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, thinking more in to it what concernes me most is that the 2 silencers would be on different length of exhaust, and might sound strange if the sound was different on each side. althought it might still turn out good

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

NS Dev

posted on 19/9/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
You are quite correct, it is a silly idea, because it won't work!

Fine if you don't need any power but the engine relies on the extraction from pulses produced by the other cylinders to scavenge the combustion chambers, without this effect you will lose a huge lump of power.

An exhaust is not just something bling to look at, it is a combination of form and function!!!!

diy jobbie:

exhaust 2
exhaust 2

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 19/9/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice job Calvin!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 19/9/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
as NS Dev said; the pipes are tuned to improve engine performace otherwise we could just use central heating water pipes and not pay huge money for properly made collectors ... unless you have drag car motor in whcih case short opene ended pipes will do (again ythey are matched to the engine).
NS Dev

posted on 19/9/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
......... and if you look the "proper" cars only use open pipes on supercharged engines where the charger does all the scavenging anyway.

PS collectors are not tricky to make, just time consuming, can explain if anybody needs to know

JackNco

posted on 19/9/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well i was considering having a crack at learning to weld and having a go at welding a monifold up. more of a learning excercise than saving money though.... I havent read in to how exasys work but i can see how it would pull gasses in a collector..... haddent considered that when i was looking at the exhausts, in that case what do people recomend 4-2-1 or 4-1 collectors...

John

dougal

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
i will be using two silencers but with a few fundamental differences.

my XE is turbocharged so pulse tuning in the usual context will not be so relavent.

obviously the turbo has a single outlet so a y piece is used.

i want to use as little new parts as possible so im using two R1 cans.

the above answers are obviousy correct for a well tuned N/A engine. ill try to post some pics. Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg
Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg

Jon Ison

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Dougal, I think you have just answered every BEC owners track day noise issues in one foul sweep.

I'm no exhaust expert, any reason why Dougals set up wont work ?

dougal

posted on 22/9/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
i hope so

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.