Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which engine?
lough

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine?

I have recently acquired a locost rolling chassis which has been fitted with a 1300 cross-flow which has seen better days, long term I would like to fit a Zetec engine but believe that the SVA test is quit strict and costly for a Zetec?

Should I overhaul the cross-flow, go for the Zetec now or install the 1800 CVH engine that I also got with the chassis and later swap over to the Zetec at a latter time?

Hellfire

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum. Have you ever considered a bike engine?...........

Phil

stevec

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote

mookaloid

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote

JUD

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
And so it starts again

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Chippy

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, and welcome. The SVA test is no different whatever engine you have fitted, same price, same checks.
Hellfire, not every body wants to wear ear defenders, just to pop down the shops. Cheers Ray

zetec7

posted on 2/11/06 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
That's for sure - I like having a little bit of torque, too! And the relaxed revs when you want to just cruise for a while...
2.0 l Zetec, all the way!!

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oliwb

posted on 2/11/06 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec is more hassle than xflow at SVA....but I wouldn't bother rebuilding it just for SVA....If I were you
If the xflow is runnable (or easily so) get it working and use it for SVA....in the meantime find yourself a nice 2L zetec and rebuild that....don't go mad but no harm in changing big end shells and possibly piston rings, waterpump, cambelt and gaskets etc.....after sva drop in the zetec.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Zetec is more hassle than xflow at SVA....

xflow at SVA: man turns on machine, waits for 1 mintue prints receipt, job done!! (no probing or measuing of anyting).

If your zetec is '95 or ealrier, then you don't need a CAT and would passwith correctly set up carbs; post '95 emissions test means you need efi - that is when it becomes a bit more £££

There are palenty of 1300 xflows on ebay going for less than a £ 100 - what needs doing to yours?

NS Dev

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Everything has its merits and downsides.

A GOOD bike engine is a good option, but you will have no reverse gear (without extra spend), it will be quite noisy (but then these cars are hardly refined anyway!!! ) and powerful ones are expensive.

A decent 16v 2.0 car engine is excellent, a vauxhall 16v or zetec will yield good power but won't be ultra cheap. Zetec slightly the cheaper of the two but also the less powerful by 30hp or so.

A crossflow (good one) will yield a bulletproof drive that is great fun, most parts can be fixed using a hammer or adjustable, they make the right noises, go straight through emissions, and because they are now old hat and out of fashion, parts are cheap.

The choice is yours!

Don't worry, whatever you pick, at times you will think you have made the wrong descision, we all do it, you just have to go with the flow!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

pdw709

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A GOOD bike engine is a good option, but you will have no reverse gear (without extra spend), it will be quite noisy (but then these cars are hardly refined anyway!!! ) and powerful ones are expensive.

Depends on your definition of powerful and expensive!

A Honda CBR1000F engine can be got for £250-300 and that gives you a stock 130bhp. Put that into a light car and you can easily get over 300bhp/ton....

Phil

whitestu

posted on 2/11/06 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi If you decide to go for the 1.8 CVH Its an easy fit.

I put one in my Indy and am surprised how good it is.

To swap from a CVH to a Zetec later is fairly easy - exhaust on same side, similar block etc.

If you fit a pre '95 zetec there is no difference in SVA requirements.

Stu

BusaLoco

posted on 2/11/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engine is the way to go

Get a bike engine! ... (I wouldn't trade my Busa for any big heavy slow car engine.) ... Plenty of power. (Lots of torque too! ... Remember the car only weighs 985 lbs.) ... Shifting (the bike trans) is effortless, smooth and lightning quick. ... It's the only way to fly.

NS Dev

posted on 2/11/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh, you can't beat a bit of CEC vs BEC banter on a cold winter's afternoon!!!! LOL

Fuel for the bonfire to keep us warm, lovely car engine, loads more torque and power than a busa, bit heavier, just to keep the discussion 2 sided LOL

exhaust 2
exhaust 2

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Hellfire

posted on 2/11/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
A bit heavier The engine alone must weigh a fair bit more than a Busa and together with the gearbox, must be sufficient to anchor the Emma Maersk

Guess you need that extra bit of torque and BHP to cope with all the weight

Phil

procomp

posted on 2/11/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
AAAhh come on guys we all know that the original engine in the car is the best .
But it aint as quick as a 4min hellfire responce. Forget putting an engine in the car just fit a hellfire under the bonnet once you have found what he revs to .

Seriously though unless its a cost problem why not just put the zetec in straight away instead of the cvh as you will only be costing more in the long run by fitting the cvh and then upgrading to the zetec later.

Just off to see if google can shed any info on what a hellfire revs to and what his bhp is .

cheers matt

[Edited on 2/11/06 by procomp]

Danozeman

posted on 2/11/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
If your looking at changing later anyway. Slap th engine you really want in it in the first place.

Pre 95 zetec, carbs, megajolt away you go. Nice light revvy engine u wont have to rebuild. The 1.8's are cheaper than the 2 litres. 2 litre cams in a 1.8 makes it nearly the same power just lacking a little bit of torque.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.