Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Engine Mountings
TangoMan

posted on 4/11/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Engine Mountings

I have just acquired a 2.0 Zetec for a winter swap over.
My first job will be to fabricate engine mounts and modify the sump (if I can't souce the bits at a fair price!!).

Has anyone got photos or plans for the mounts and the required mods to the sump.

I read that the sumps always leak if welded but can't see why that should be the case.

Then I have to decide on TB's or swap the bike carbs from the pinto.

Summer's here!!!!

SeaBass

posted on 4/11/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
The mounts are going to be pretty specific to the car... which is?? Do a decent search all this information is on the site or at http://www.zetec-cat.co.uk

[Edited on 4/11/06 by SeaBass]

big_wasa

posted on 4/11/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Scholar engines or a Dunnell engines Sump and it will not leak.

Its not that hard to make the mounts. You will find it beter to position the engine and make the mounts to measure.

[Edited on 4/11/06 by big_wasa]

pjavon

posted on 4/11/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've altered three sumps now with no leaks. the only reason i can see why people my say this is because when you weld them, no matter how much you clean them up, the oil is still in the cast alloy so when you heat them the weld pool will not run properly and of course the sumps arnt aluminium they are like an alloy, hence the welds don't look brilliant, but i find if you turn the heat down and take your time and try concentating most of the heat pool on the clean ally plate your using you can get a decent weld.

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

TangoMan

posted on 4/11/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Having looked at the pics on the web from the suggested supliers I may have a go at the sump. Nothing ventured and all that!!!
I also just found a pair of mountings on ebay which may be no good for me but was a useful picture.

Summer's here!!!!

bob

posted on 4/11/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
My zetec change is in its early stages, not much progress to take pics of.

Have a look in zetecs photo archive,he has some good pics of sump and engine mounts plus how it looks bolted up to the box and in the chassis.

TangoMan

posted on 4/11/06 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,

I am interested what you plan to do about oil capacity and dipstick.

Do you intend to still run the same capacity and have you worked out what to do about the dipstick.

Summer's here!!!!

pjavon

posted on 5/11/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
one i prepared earlier

Description
Description

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

pjavon

posted on 5/11/06 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
But this is what happens when you forget to lift the ride height back up after a trackday

[img][/img]

stevebubs

posted on 5/11/06 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Loads of pics on gallery.cantcatchme.net of my blacktop conversion. Much of it is similar for a silvertop installation, though.
zetec7

posted on 5/11/06 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
As for the motor mounts, take a look at my website for photos of how my mate & I did ours - there is also a wedge-shaped piece that is welded to the frame that these mounts bolt to. This design allows you to raise or lower the engine, based on where you weld the wedge-shaped parts...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Of side

big_wasa

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
near side

whitestu

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you just use a sump of a different Zetec?

I have a Focus 1.8 Zetec [not fitted yet] and the sump won't need any modification [other than possibly baffling] as it is barely any lower than the bottom monting bolt to the bellhousing.

Stu

Schrodinger

posted on 5/11/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
the dipstick doesn't need modifying. You still fill up to the max marker
Dusty

posted on 5/11/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
A different option is to use a 1800 cvh sump which being steel is much easier to alter.
bob

posted on 5/11/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TangoMan
Bob,

I am interested what you plan to do about oil capacity and dipstick.

Do you intend to still run the same capacity and have you worked out what to do about the dipstick.

I'm using an 1800 series one silver top,the sump is about 1 1/3" shorter than the 2 litre.(1800 series 1 sump will fit a 2 litre series 1)

I've done a trial fit on blocks this morning and the sump clearance is 4 1/4" with cambelt cover 1/4" away from nosecone/bonnet,if i get the dunnel or scholar chopped sump i believe it will give me another 1/2" ground clearance.
I think i'll keep my £180/£200 and see how it goes,i'll put some pics up when its in properly and have a better measure up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.