Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Coolers
auzziejim

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Oil Coolers

Can anyone tell me what cars came/come with oil coolers as standard? I am looking to put one in my car on the advice of a mechanic friend due to certain reasons. i dont fancy paying stupid prices for one so will initially try to find a second hand unit but need to know what to look for. So guys what do you suggest for use with a 1600 Pinto?

Cheers

James

Findlay234

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
RWD corolla GT, ie the one with the 4age. thats where i got mine from, infact thats where i got the engine from.... heehee.
ned

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
a lot of bmw's have/had oil coolers. just have a search round the local scrappy....

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 9/7/03 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
i should think that will be the best idea im just after a little insight first. however it wont be the local scrappy as they are stupidly over priced! They wanted £20 for a Micra Rad after i took it outta the car! i left it on the desk and told him to go f**K himself, LOL i know how to make friends and influence people!

Cheers

James

ned

posted on 9/7/03 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
my dad used to have a 518 (yes the crappy 4 cylinder one) which to make matters worse was an auto, but that had an oil cooler and that's the smallest engine that goes in a 5 series (don't even offer it anymore) so most 3 or 5 series would have one i'd expect.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jack nichs

posted on 9/7/03 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Oil Coolers

You might try auto Metros. They have a cooler that we have been using for grass tracking for some years. Sod to get out though, lh front behind grill.

Jacko

ChrisW

posted on 9/7/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Auto Sierras and Grannys have them for the gearbox. Dunno if they'd be any good for engine oil? I just chucked one away a few weeks ago.

Chris

My gaff my rules

robinbastd

posted on 9/7/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Rover SD1...............oh God,it was so long ago that I think it was an SD1. Aha.....IIRC Rover SD1
40 looms large and the memory is shot.
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

david walker

posted on 9/7/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Skodas - the ones that had the engine in the back (Estelle) used to be a good source for oil coolers - they look like and are same size as the Mocal ones.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Stu16v

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I gotta ask this, why do you need an oil cooler on a 1600 Pinto???

Just intrigued....

Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 10/7/03 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
or u might well ask....

Why a 1600 pinto at all?

Each to their own but a 2.0L is a better bet imho.

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

auzziejim

posted on 10/7/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
well being 18 and having to pay stupid insurance premiums 1600 pinto is a wise and cost saving choice!!

the oil cooler is because i am replacing oil that was lost when the sump was chopped!

timf

posted on 10/7/03 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
oil stat

hope your using an oil stat else the oil can be over cooled and take a long time to reach its optimum working temp.
this often causes a power loss as the oil is thicker when cold.

suparuss

posted on 19/7/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
all erlier suggestions failing, you could try motor bike salvage, loadsa bikes have small oil coolers. or even ebay, i picked up a brand new ali 330mm 10 row cooler for 25 quid not long ago. you will need an oil stat tho. you can get atachments that go between the engine and oil filter with an inlet and outlet for the cooler, when the temp gets up it just redirects the flow into the cooler.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.