Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Easiest/Cheapest Way To Remove Donor Engine + Box'
mark_mcd

posted on 19/3/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest/Cheapest Way To Remove Donor Engine + Box'

As the title states really as I am a bit confused. What would be the easiest way to remove the engine + box from the donor Sierra presuming I would rather not fork out for an engine crane and the car will be being stripped for build parts anyway?

I have read stories of cutting away the front section of the car and 'sliding' out the engine and box' on a trolley of some sort - best idea? Any other ideas for the DIY beginner?

Anyone recommend a good budget trolley?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
A big hammer and bolster chisel should not be underestimated for their destructive power on a tin top. All you need, oh and a pair of thick gloves for when you miss

[Edited on 19/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ketchup

posted on 19/3/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
i adopted the "cut and slide out" method when freeing the lump and box from my rusty donor, you will have to raise the engine a bit to get the sump over the front crossmember tho, still a quick way of doing it, an angle grinder and about half an hour should do it!
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
do you have one of these??? Rescued attachment bender.gif
Rescued attachment bender.gif

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
pah show off

some of us are still in the dark ages

[Edited on 19/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
mark_mcd, are you wanting to go to this paintball game with us lot? I notice that your names not down.

Guinness

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would drive the car, nose first into the garage. Cut the front panel off. Slide a pallet under the engine, disconnect everything. Then back / tow / drag / push the shell out of the garage. That way your engine is in the garage, no need to move it! Then once the donor is on the drive, whip the wheels, hubs brakes etc off and get the scrappy round to collect the shell.

Then you can weld the chassis up on your build table over the top of the engine and when you are ready, drop the chassis down over the engine. No need to move it at all that way!
Mike

westcost1

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used one of those plastic trolley things they stack pop bottles up on in the super market very strong I put the bare donor chase on it and pushed it to the end of the drive for the scrap man to take away and can be pilfered easily from the back of your local tesco.
I used an angle grinder with a 1mm inox blade to cut the front panel of the car of then lowered the engine onto the trolley unbolted it and jacked the car off the engine leaving it on the trolley then pulled it out through the hole on the front didn’t take long at all. On the other hand if you are starting a build I would recommend getting an engine hoist can be got for a reasonable price on ebay as if bought at this stage of the build you will get a lot of use out. My engines been in out in out a couple of times and its good for moving bug stuff around.

coozer

posted on 19/3/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I Sthil sawed the front member and slam panel out, took all the bolts out connecting the engine to the bellhousing and dragged it out the front.
Dead easy!
You can see mine in my photo archive

[Edited on 19/3/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

locostv8

posted on 19/3/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Seperating the body from the frame and not wanting to crawl under to cut/remove frozen bolts.

Gently remove donor body.

[Edited on 19/3/07 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

mark_mcd

posted on 20/3/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
lots of help - thanks lots!

away on a walk around the local housing estates tomorrow 'sierra spotting'

locostv8

posted on 23/3/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Any time we can help out. hehe

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.