Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: She Lives!!
Marcus

posted on 24/7/03 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
She Lives!!

At long last she lives and breathes fire!!
The old crossflow even sounds sweet after the rebuild.
There was, however a problem......and let this be a warning to all those rebuilding their own engines.
It goes like this.
Turn engine over a little with no plugs in to get some oil round (and fuel in the float chamber) - no problem.
Add plugs - no problem.
Try to start - nearly no problem.
Running very rough and only on 3 cylinders, No. 1 not firing.
Lets try some new plugs says I and duly removed offending plug. Looks down hole into bore and what do I see but some cloth type substance, buggered if I know what it is, anyway I pulls it out only to find a lot coming out - like the old magic trick... then it stops and jams. Remove rocker cover to see No 1 inlet valve top nowhere near rocker! Now you can all see what's coming can't you?
Off with the head says I, so all manifolds off, rocker shaft off and remove head to find a piece of old shirt halfway out of the inlet valve and halfway out of the exhaust valve!!
It was at this point I recognised the shirt as an old work shirt I'd used to block the carburettor hole whilst the engine was being rebuilt!! Important tip DON'T DO THIS!!!
I feel I have been very fortunate not to have bent a valve or damaged any internals on my nice fresh engine!
Within 40 mins of noticing the shirt, the engine was back together and, with a quick tweak to the timing, running sweet as a nut.
Hope the Lolocost exhaust is quiet enough for SVA!
Just thought I'd tell you the story before it's put up on the website!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 24/7/03 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
MARCUS

Nice one,i might if i'm lucky be firing up the lardy lump this weekend.

Fingers X'sd there's no old shirts in it,but i have been known to clean up the oily bits with the mrs old underwear LOL

[Edited on 24/7/03 by bob]

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 24/7/03 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well done m8,

I finally fired up my old rebuilt 1700 x/f last week after about 5 years sitting neglected in the garage and another year being rebuilt in stages!

Its a great feeling, quite spectacular in fact as the exhaust silencer aint very silent and was tonnes of smoke from the labels on the exhaust manifold tubes burning off hehe oops.

Remarkably easy really, I had visions of cranking for hours but it all came together in about 10 minutes and was running sweetly for another 10 with no problems.

Quite a bit of fiddlin' and tweakin left to do but not much major stuff.

Seems theres a few cars nearing completion atm?

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

thetankwad

posted on 25/7/03 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
cant beat that feeling, eh? i got my V8 ticking over a few weeks ago too. months of work by, and as soon as that engine runs, you just want to hit the road. too bad you have another years worth of work ahead!!!
Marcus

posted on 25/7/03 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunately, having done things arse about face, the car is just about ready for SVA, only brakes and mirrors to fit and she's there.

Oh yes!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 25/7/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats mate- well done!

Cheers,

James

steve m

posted on 26/7/03 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Marcus

Two cars on the road (nearly)
in the same time others, have built up a collection of junk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.