Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bugger!!!!
TangoMan

posted on 22/4/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger!!!!

With Stoneleigh only a couple of weeks away I need to replace the headgasket on my Zetec.

It has been using water (actually blowing it out!) since the install and is getting worse. I thought it was due to not having the plumbing right but I have changed it around and changed the water and it is pressuring up far to quickly and getting dirty.

My dilemma is do I just fit a new gasket with a quick skim or do I go for it with a flow job and new cams.....

Or I could just leave it until after Stoneleigh as it drives great

Anyone know where I can get a head skimmed near Scunthorpe or Doncaster as there is not much in the way of industry near me.

A spare head for a 2.0 would be ideal if anyone has one to exchange for beer tokens.

Summer's here!!!!

stevebubs

posted on 22/4/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming it's a silvertop engine, it's surely gonna be cheaper just to get another engine?

[Edited on 22/4/07 by stevebubs]

UncleFista

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2l Silvertop bare head going begging, no cams but (I think) everything else is fine.

Free to good home

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

bigrich

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
if you need a skim try Stanwood Engineering at Bawtry.
nitram38

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked that it is actually the head gasket?
Have done a pressure test or found water in your oil?
Maybe a faulty thermostat?
Also, if you have an electric fan is it wired so it blows/sucks with the airflow?
I would get a pressure test from a garage before you start stripping the engine.

TangoMan

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Answers

Stevebubs, It might be cheaper but I doubt it. I could be unlucky and get another bad one though so as this one runs well and has good oil pressure I an inclined to stick with it.

UncleFista, i will send you a U2U. Bradford is not that far away so I could arrange a customer visit to get over to you. I am considering a cam kit so it would be ideal.

Bigrich, Thanks for the info. They are only 15 mins from me so look a good bet.

Nitram38, I have tried not to accept it but reality keeps getting in the way. The fan pulls as it should, the thermostat opens when it should. It runs great and gets no oil in the water, or the other way around. It just leaks a bit of combustion gas into the water. The give away is the state of the water and the pressure build up in the system before it gets hot. I could get it pressure tested or get the water tested but it would be a waste of money as I am now certain that is the problem.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Steve

Summer's here!!!!

zetec

posted on 23/4/07 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
Get a spare, have it skimmed, grind valves and fit it, very little cost and probably 99% sure will cure the problem. Or do as I've done and clean out the ports and get some new cams while you are farting about...not sure how well my DIY porting will work but looks good to me , cost so far about £20 on some grinding bits for my Dremel, some grinding paste and a few hours in the garage.

Should see 250 BHP if I've done as good as I think at the old head porting, haha....well anything over 190 BHP I'll be happy! Rescued attachment DSCF0130.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0130.JPG

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

TangoMan

posted on 23/4/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec,

I was thinking along those lines. The time is my only concern which is why I am thinking of leaving until after Stoneleigh.

I take it from your post that you did not get the valve throats bored out. Is there much in the way of cleaning sharp edges that can be done easily.

Have you measured the chambers to work out compression ratios. I am thinking of going to 10.5:1 but need to source a burette for measuring it to work out how much I need to get skimmed.

I have a generous offer of a spare head so have no excuses now. I have read that a 285 cam and decent head job will bring 200 horses.

I will probably go for 270 cams as I don't want to lose any more low end grunt so I would be happy if I get near 190bhp. In fact I will be happy if it goes noticeably quicker than it does now as it's not slow

Summer's here!!!!

zetec

posted on 23/4/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
All the work was done with a Dremel jobbie and sanding bands. The metal is soft and you can take loads off with not too much effort. Just feeling with your fingers you notice the areas of restriction. Also matched the manifold/head ports which were 5-6mm out in some places! It is a nice little project, very little cost and with the valves ground in (exhaust valves seem to take a bashing) you should get some improvement.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.