Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sparks
David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sparks

I tried to start my crossflow today, and didn't get a spark. After fishing around for a while I suspect that my Fiesta distributor ain't working as it should.

To prove it either way I want to fit the original contact-breaker distributor back on the engine. However, I've now got a 12v coil, no ballast resistor, and my starter button doesn't short out the resistor to start.

The question is - I don't see why I can't use the 12v coil without the resistor, straight off the distributor. Anyone know a reason why I shouldn't?

cheers,

David

paulf

posted on 2/8/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
It should work fine, many cars didnt have a ballast resistor and as far as i am aware it seems to have been a ford speciallity.The main idea was to give a good spark in the winter when the battery charge is low.
i had a problem with my fiesta electonic unit caused by spinning the dizy by hand without earthing it to the block, the spark earthed through me and the car and the electronic part gave up. I got a new distributor after a little searching at the scrappy and fitted that to the engine before i tried it again.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I tried to start my crossflow today, and didn't get a spark. After fishing around for a while I suspect that my Fiesta distributor ain't working as it should.

To prove it either way I want to fit the original contact-breaker distributor back on the engine. However, I've now got a 12v coil, no ballast resistor, and my starter button doesn't short out the resistor to start.

The question is - I don't see why I can't use the 12v coil without the resistor, straight off the distributor. Anyone know a reason why I shouldn't?

cheers,

David

theconrodkid

posted on 3/8/03 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
an electronic coil and points dizzy wont work,maybee for a few mins of missfiring,the pair are matched,nowt wrong with points

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

David Jenkins

posted on 3/8/03 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with points is that they wear over time - but as I won't be doing more than 3k per year then setting the points can be a winter job.

cheers,

David

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 5/8/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Will an electronic coil and a pointless Dizzy (Ignitor pack) from two different companies work together, if they are both meant for the same engine (x/f 1600)

Reason I ask is, I've got an Aldon Dizzy and a Lumenition Coil both electronic both for X/F -

Will it work? ( engine runs with Lumenition coil and old Ford Points dizzy.)

Cheers

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

theconrodkid

posted on 5/8/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
should do but check with aldon on coil resistance,they should know

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.