Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA and MOT ofr race car????
Afro

posted on 6/8/03 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
SVA and MOT ofr race car????

Hi,

I was wondering after having read that the car needs to be MOT worthy if it does in fact have to go through an SVA and MOT if it is to be used purely for racing and not driven on the roads??

What is the official stance on this from the people who run the series ????

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 6/8/03 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
No you def. dont need an SVA.

I believe you do not need to posses an MOT. Simply put the car must be "capable" of passing an MOT.

I.e lights, horn, emmisions etc but u'll have to wait for a series runner to confirm whether Scroots actually check the MOTables. They are prolly too busy checking race reg specific stuff.

ATB

Dave

[Edited on 6/8/03 by Sideways 2 Victory]

www.nurburgring.org

GParkes

posted on 7/8/03 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the car only needs to be capable of passing an MOT, but most of the MOT test items aren't checked, I don't have a horn not sure if anyone does, have heard of people who don't have working indicators, headlight alignment won't be checked etc. The main aim of scrutineering is to check that the cars are safe to be on the circuit ie brakes are secure, wheel bearings ok, steering secure, brake lights, ignition cutoff, etc. The best thing to do is get along to a race meeting and watch the locosts being checked so you know what is and isn't looked at.

Gavin

Mark Benson

posted on 7/8/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
For 3 races my handbrake wasn't working - it was obvious to the scrutes because I had to stop the car rolling out of the scrutineering bay! Nobody said a word.
The aim of requiring the car to be capable of passing an MOT is, I think to ensure a minimum level of safety regarding brakes, berings, bushes etc. There is no requirement to actually pass one.

Raced a Locost for a couple of years, then bought an Elise.

Now back building a Fisher Fury, can't yet decide on V8 power (which I already have waiting to go in) or some kind of V6 (which I'd have to buy, when I can sell the Elise, if I sell the Elise).

I'm not the most decisive person in the world.

Afro

posted on 11/8/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.. that makes life a bit easier.

If only I could decide whether to build a racer or a road car.. I guess its easier to adapt a road car for racing than a race car for roading (er does that verb exist?) what with the fully welded in cage and all that.

If it aint broke... it will be soon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.