Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have Europa Sold me a Sender i Dont need ???
RichyMkIndy

posted on 11/8/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Have Europa Sold me a Sender i Dont need ???

yeah... we have bought a speedo sensor which goes onto the prop shaft using magnets.. has anyone had any problem with these ?
i spoke to this guy at europa and he said it was best to get this, your supposed to keep the sesors 3mm from the magnet on a rotating propshaft.. but propshafts move loads surely
he said that the Sierra one would be very inaccurate and i should buy this sender.... i wasnt sure if he was just trying to get money out of me though.. would the MT75 one be THAT inacurate???

He didnt really tell me how much difference there would be in accuracy just bullshitted, i asked him 3 times, becasue im 19 he probably thought he could tell me all kinds of shit,
Stafford Vehicle Components were much nicer when i went to see them, they were interested, Europa i just felt like they wernt btoehred even thought i spent £412 !!!!!!

Stu16v

posted on 11/8/03 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using a live axle, then you have a problem. As you rightly say, the axle, complete with propshaft, will be moving up and down, so the sensor will not be able to be mounted to the chassis. You could mount it to the axle itself (not sure where/how though), so the sensor would travel in unison with propshaft, or you could mount the sensor at the gearbox end. Trouble is, at this end the prop isnt moving up and down, but in and out so you may have similar probs here.
If you are using a diff that is fixed to the chassis (Sierra etc) its all plain sailing....

[Edited on 11/8/03 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/8/03 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ben (with the orange locosaki) of the midlands crowd, has had problems with the sender overheating - if its mounted near the diff it gets hot and stops working after a certain time over a certain speed.

Surely an MT75 sensor, used on millions of cars, works.......?

atb

steve

theconrodkid

posted on 11/8/03 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
i mounted mine on one of the drive shaft inner cv joints,bits of fridge door magnets are glued in place till,run it up on axle stands varying the number of magnets till you get speedo acurate then cable ties over the ends of the magnets only took me 2 weeks to get it right

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

zetec

posted on 11/8/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I used the MT75 speedo output because CAI/Smiths said it was the best route! and they make the speedo. The Ford item gives 8000 pulses per mile when fitted to the Sierra so using this basis and your tyre size getting a good starting point is easy. Also the Ford unit gives the strongest pulse of all the sensor types, best of all you get it free with the gearbox! I passed SVA with the speedo spot on. Call Greenguages if in doubt, very good service and worked out less then many others...and they do three sizes of speedo.
RichyMkIndy

posted on 12/8/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ill call europa and send the thing back !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.