Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which rust preventative paint?
ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
which rust preventative paint?

I'm hoping by the end of next week I'll be ready to paint my chassis.

I was going to buy the por15 rust preventative paint (£22 litre - see www.frost.co.uk)

I know that red oxide is good stuff and cheaper (from screwfix)

Are there any others I should be considering?

I'm basically after one that's easy to put on and looks smooth ie doesn't show brush marks as I'll proably be brush/painting it on.

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 17/9/03 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

I know others on here may not agree with my choice of paints (Hammerite Smooth), but the application method may be of interest.

I, like you, wanted no brush marks, so used a "brush on" first. When that had nearly dried, I went over with an aerosol to smooth it over.

Seems to have worked a treat

HTH

ATB

Simon

PS - I have had it chipping, but only where I've banged the chassis top rails with an engine. Oops

rell

posted on 17/9/03 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have had my chassis shot blasted so it has a very good key for the paint it all so get rid of eney rust.
Then i used a two pack epoxy etching primer this is very very hard wearing (chip and scrach resistent) and will resist most chemicals eg petrol.
all so eney rivet i will de puting in will be diped in epoxy resin to seal the hole, messy i know but worth it i think?

I have use screwfix red oxide primer on a I beem it dose not go on well with a brush
I do not know how well epoxy primer will go on with a brush because i sprayed it on (i think it's worth it for the better finish)

ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
i'm cleaning the chassis up with 'the tool' (angle grinder wire cup) so that should give it a good key. i may well borrow my dad's compressor and air gun and do it with that, will give a better finish? just haven't used it before....

any tips!

thanks,

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you are in a position where you have the choice between brushing and spray painting, I'd go (and did!) for the latter. Beeing a n00bie to spray painting myself, the first components i did where the pedals / wishbones / etc. Figured out how to use the spray gun in about 15 mins. ( i know, it's only base coat so getting a decent surface texture might be a lot harder but we have all got to start somewhere, don't we?)

BTW, i'm using a german product called "allgrund". Seems to work OK for now and is 18 euro's per 0,75 litre.

Ian Pearson

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
POR 15 won't leave brush marks if you follow the directions.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
if you are panelling the inside of the car, very little of the space frame is on show.......

the household gloss I used (as have others) leaves no discernable marks on 1 inch tubes...

atb

steve

timf

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
but you must use the por metal prep stuff for it to work properly. ps it needs to be overpainted as well as its not uv stable
timf

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
alternativly try this stuff
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TORARDBC/

James

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Surrey Dave told me he very effectively prevented brush marks using a small roller!

I haven't got round to trying it yet but I have liberated a nice roller from my parents!

James

[Edited on 17/9/03 by James]

ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
can i use the por15 chassis black on top of red oxide without problems? i was planning on using this stuff on the uprights etc

someone at the show was talking about using the rubbery stuff you get in tins as people put inside wheell arches etc. any comments on this? (not for painting chassis, but for suspension components)

thanks again (and again)

Ned.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a spray primer from Halfords called plasi-kote (its acrylic I believe) which sticks like the proverbial and has a good mat finish.

Despite not putting more than a patchy coat on the mild steel parts of my car, none of it has rusted.

However, if I had a mild steel chassis like yours, I'd get it powder coated (costs about £80) or better still electroplated. Can't beat that shiny gold finish - see picture below, these are my front wishbones, cost £25 to get done at my local friendly electoplating firm. The finish is tough as old boots, much stronger than any paint coating. Rescued attachment plated_wishbones.jpg
Rescued attachment plated_wishbones.jpg

Ian Pearson

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you use anything as a base coat, POR 15 will peel off. Go to their website and have a look at the FAQ section and it'll tell you how to use it. I used the wheel arch wubbery stuff for the under side of the chassis.
locoboy

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
For tried and tested rust prevention you cant beat the stuff we sell at work.................marine paint!

We sell the complete range of Jotun Yachting paints for GRP, Steel, Wood and Ferrocement, along with all the varnishes and preservative oils.

The only thing i would say is that it is not really high on the chip resistance scale, its not low by any means. I have painted my front uprights and steering arms with it and dont have any chips apart from dropping a spanner on it.

The undercoat (vinyl primer) is 4.50 for a 750ml tin, the topcoat is (Top One, single pack) is 8.70 for a 750ml tin.

It brushes on very smoothly indeed and has a high gloss finish. It can be sprayed with conventional or airless spray or brished or rollers on. Best results are sprayed. ( i brushed mine on)

Let me know if you want any (those prices are cost) Carriage will be extra. I live in Telford if anyone wants to collect though.

Cheers

Colin

ATB
Locoboy

JoelP

posted on 17/9/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
cool, i'm building a boat soon so you may well get a call from me. Got to finish the car first or stick to a small boat.

Got ideas for a 16ft speeder...!

do u supply all the different layers including anti fouling and is there a company website for info?

Thanks. Joel

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/9/03 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
What ever paint you use, you cannot beat a good 2K acid etch primer, it cab be sprayed or brushed or even wiped on with an absorbent cloth. It has zero build, but eats into the steel and provides an excellent key for any subsequent primers or top coats. If you are brush painting, get some synthetic and brush that. It is much higher quality than household gloss and has greater coverage. It dries with similar characteristics to normal 2K.

If your paint coverage is good, corrosion will not be a problem.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Ian Pearson

posted on 17/9/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The only thing i would say is that it is not really high on the chip resistance scale, its not low by any means. I have painted my front uprights and steering arms with it and dont have any chips apart from dropping a spanner on it.

I painted my uprights with POR 15 about 2 years ago. They've been bounced around several garages, had stuff dropped on them, been dropped and not a chip in sight. However, I have had it peel off like orange peel, because I didn't prepare the surface properly.

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 18/9/03 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I vote Palstikote too -

Bought a luverly cylinder head from vulcan, asked what colour - I said blue and he said they used this stuff. Tuned up and had a really nice, tough finish.

You can buy it in B&Q, Halfrauds etc

So I bought some more to do the ancilliaries/bits n bobs I wanted in body colour. It works well with properly clean metal.

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

spy

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
What ever paint you use, you cannot beat a good 2K acid etch primer, it cab be sprayed or brushed or even wiped on with an absorbent cloth. It has zero build, but eats into the steel and provides an excellent key for any subsequent primers or top coats. If you are brush painting, get some synthetic and brush that. It is much higher quality than household gloss and has greater coverage. It dries with similar characteristics to normal 2K.

If your paint coverage is good, corrosion will not be a problem.

Mark, what would you recommend I can prime my roll bar with? (I want to avoid the 'dreaded' 2k paints). Can you get single pack etch primers, is one brand better than another?

cheers

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/9/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would use a 2K acid etch, you can quite safely brush it on as non of the product is then airborne. It is VERY thin and goes on like yellow milk, it is virtually transparent and just seems to darken the surface of the metal, but it makes a hell of a difference to any subsequent paints that are applied. (you can even wipe the stuff on with a J cloth!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

PaulBuz

posted on 18/9/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark
Whilst shopping around for a suitable primer , I was offered 'Airo wash primer'
The chap assured me that it was etch primer.
Any thoughts
ATB
Paul

Rorty

posted on 19/9/03 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Jon Bradbury:

quote:

Can't beat that shiny gold finish

That gold passivated zinc or cadmium finish on your wishbones etc is a sacrificial coating. It will therefore degrade over time.
The best finish of all, would be to plate the items first, and then paint or powder coat over the top.
Don't get your fasteners/critical parts plated this way, unless you have them post treated. Plated items can suffer failure due to hydrogen embrittlement.
I only buy plated fasteners that are certified post treated.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

spy

posted on 19/9/03 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I would use a 2K acid etch, you can quite safely brush it on as non of the product is then airborne. It is VERY thin and goes on like yellow milk, it is virtually transparent and just seems to darken the surface of the metal, but it makes a hell of a difference to any subsequent paints that are applied. (you can even wipe the stuff on with a J cloth!

cheers, I'll qive it a go.

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/9/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
yes airo wash primer is a chromate etch primer - it is one of the cheaper ones but is OK

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.