Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not firing on all 4 cylinders
MK7

posted on 9/11/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not firing on all 4 cylinders

Pinto 1.8 SOHC.

I'm getting a good spark on all 4 plugs but for some reason cylinder number 4 doesn't seem to be Firing any more than about 5% of the time as estimated by the low increase in exhaust temperature.

I'm currently unable to let the engine idle so I can't effectively adjust the timing, though the facts that cylinders 1, 2 and 3 are nice and hot suggets to me that I must be doing something right.

I've done all the usual stuff of swapping HT leads and plugs but the same symptoms remain.

Not sure if this is reelant but at this time I haven't attached my throttle or manual choke cable to the carb so I'm only able to keep the enginie firing by manually operating the throttle / choke. The carb is the orignal that came with the donor which I test drove before buying so I know it can work.

Any suggestions?

rusty nuts

posted on 9/11/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
not firing on all 4 cylinders

check for tight tappets when engine is cold also test for air leaks using wd40 sprayed around inlet manifold to cylinder head joint, engine revs will increase if wd40 is sprayed into area of air leak,also try changing distributor cap. hope this helps , rusty nuts

JoelP

posted on 9/11/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
maybe a compression check?
MK7

posted on 9/11/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Servo outlet

I've not tried this yet but I've just noticed that the brake servo take off from the inlet manifold is wide open, it also just happens to be on cylinder 4.

I'll blank this off and see how this changes things.

JoelP

posted on 9/11/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
let us know how you get on if possible cos my servo is gone, need to come up with a plan for the vacuum pipe!
MK7

posted on 11/11/03 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
It works

I managed to plug the hole in the manifold with a very large bolt that came off the Sierra donor's suspension.

The result is that the engine now runs very smoothly, particularly so when its come off the choke.

Now all I need to do is find out what the thread is on this bolt and go to my local hardware shop.

At first I thought I'd solved the problem with a 10mm compression stop end from the plumbers merchant, however, this is not quite the same thread. I suspect it's going to be something obscure such as 1/2 inch BSP or something.

Anyone know what the thread on the manifold is likely to be?

Russell

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.