Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Crank Locking Bolt?
coozer

posted on 28/7/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Crank Locking Bolt?

Anyone know where it is?

Supposedly to lock the crankshaft during cambelt change, or is it an urban myth?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 28/7/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally yes but you could just line up the marks then stick it in gear and put the handbrake on.

One other thing when changing cam belts is disconnect the starter or the battery --- else a moments forget fullness and you could end up with a shed load of bent valves.

jamie1107

posted on 28/7/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
hi
theres no crank lock that i have seen before although some kits do come with pins
all you need to do is line up the marks pop the rocker cover off and put your 6mm plate across the rear of the cam shafts to lock them then replace the belt
remember to renew the tentioner as there is a modified ford part for those

Dusty

posted on 28/7/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 10mm bolt on the left side of the block just below the breather box. However it doesn't lock the crank but acts to stop the rotation at TDC when trying to rotate it forwards. It can still turn backwards.

[Edited on 28/7/08 by Dusty] Rescued attachment DSCN2415.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN2415.JPG

coozer

posted on 28/7/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
It's a 10mm bolt on the left side of the block just below the breather box. However it doesn't lock the crank but acts to stop the rotation at TDC when trying to rotate it forwards. It can still turn backwards.

[Edited on 28/7/08 by Dusty]

Bugger, right where the starter is! I'm chucking soem 2L cams in my 1.8 before I take it for a rolling road set up, whats the benefit of changing the cam tensioner??

Thanks,
Steve

[Edited on 28/7/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Peteff

posted on 28/7/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
There's a tool to lock the cams, not the crank but most use a piece of flat bar to do the job.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 28/7/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of 5mm key steel does the job,I have seen the locking pin position which is blanked off with a bolt, to use it you require a bolt of exactly the correct length or the correct locking pin.I just put it at TDC using the timing marks and fit the cam locking bar.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
There's a tool to lock the cams, not the crank but most use a piece of flat bar to do the job.

madteg

posted on 28/7/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Be very careful i used the proper tool and pistons was not at TDC, i was very lucky as my engine is low compresion as it is turbo charged.
jamie1107

posted on 29/7/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
the benafit of changing the tensioner is that it doesnt fall appart and kill your engine the adjustment is a bit different on the modified part saving the belt from going slack a problem ford noticed on the zetec even if it has the modified part they are changed as part of the ford schedule for that engine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.