Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VX oil filter
Northy

posted on 20/12/03 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
VX oil filter

One for the people fitting or even better running VX's.

I'm a little concerned about how low the std oil filter sits at the front of the engine. The last thing I need it to punch a hole in the bottom of it, so I was thinking my options would be:

1. Fit a shorter filter - from what? Any other problems with this?

2. Remote fit the filter

What have others done? Could be a problem on other engines, I'm not sure where the filter is fitted.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 22/12/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Get a filter off a late(ish) Renault. Dunno what car, but apparently all the same anyway, and screw straight on. About half the size of a VX one.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Northy

posted on 22/12/03 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stu,

Is that what you've done? Are there any negative effects from using a smaller filter?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 22/12/03 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Northy
I bought a vx oil filter from Halfords and it was 30mm shorter than the vauxhall filter it replaced,its now flush with the bottom of the chassis. I also have my No plate and ali bracket lower than the chassis, so if i hit any debris on the road, the No. plate will take the brunt of the damage. ( I,ve angled it so it also acts as a spoiler).

Stu16v

posted on 24/12/03 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, I've got a standard VX one on TBH. My thinking was that the oil filter is the same height as the Westfield sump, so if I knock the filter, then chances are I am going to wipe out the sump as well....
But plenty of Westy owners use them.
As for negative effects, I dont forsee any. The oil filter is used thoughout the Reno range, even on their 2.0 litre 16v motors. And besides, most of us are likely to change the oil filter A LOT more often on the Locost, than we would on the tintop

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.