Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo fuel system
Nick Davison

posted on 15/7/02 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo fuel system

I have been told that I will need a swirl chamber in the fuel tank if I fit a turbo. Is this necessary or can I get away with a normal injection fuel pump? The engine is Lancia 2.0L Turbo and the fuel pump is from a 2.8L Capri injection?
Nick

Jon Ison

posted on 15/7/02 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
what did the Lancia have as standerd ?

Have a word with Jame's "Hicost" he runs serious turbo.......

Fatboy Dave

posted on 15/7/02 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is your engine running now? Then why bother?

If it isn't, then a standalone surge pot (rarther than swirl pot, if you are worrying about starvation) would be a good idea. Is your fuel pump in tank or external? Most intank pumps usually have a little sump 'dimple' in the bottom of the tank to ensure that there is always fuel available to the pump. A surge pot would do the same function if you are feeding it low pressure and have the main pump feeding out of it.

A swirl pot normally just de-aerates the fuel (by the means of a cylindrical tank) to get the air outta the way (technical term)

IYSWIM

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nick Davison

posted on 16/7/02 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The engine isn't in the car yet but I need to finish the tank. The lancia one had a pump in the tank with a large cylindrical chamber round it, which I still have. Do I have to use a similar system to that or could I still get away with the dimple you mentioned?
Fatboy Dave

posted on 16/7/02 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The cylindrical tank was a built in surge pot (keeps a reserve of fuel available to the pump during cornering). You're probably better off replicating what the Lancia had. You could use the dimple, but I'd prefer the cylinder welded to the bottom of the tank, with cut-outs around the base of it.

Sounds like an idealsetup to me.

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

johnston

posted on 16/7/02 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Think of your tank like ur sump if u coner hard the fuel goes to one side if and loses pressure if it goes away from the lifter pump the same way u can lose oil pressure. only now youll get a miss fire.
the problem is that when a car loses fuel pressure it goes lean and runs hotter and can cause detonation add that to a turbo which is already running hotter you get problems with real bad detonation which can then lead to melted pistons or can cause the turbo to heat up and warp the shaft or melt the impellors.
so basically u need some system (any system) to make sure your pump doesnt suck air when cornering hard (or donuting)in the wrong direction.

Nick Davison

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all that. I will try and adapt the Lancia system; it is about the same depth as the half built tank. If it won't fit or takes too much room I may have to build a bigger tank. As it is I will probably be refuelling every 100 miles or so with the consumption on this one!
If it all works I will post some pics of it, but don't hold your breath!
Nick

Nick Davison

posted on 19/7/02 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
This Lancia one is integral with it's own swirl chamber, if it was good enough for the Thema then it should be good enough for me.
It has a single inlet hole in the bottom about 6mm I take it I should have this pointing to the rear of the car to stop fuel escaping under G?
Nick

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd probably have a couple of holes in the cylinder (at 1,5,7,and 11 o'clock).

Hicost, I'd probably say 1.5litres is a bit small for a surge pot, my V8 has a two litre tank, and my favourite bit of road can have it coughing and spluttering at high speed.......

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.