Board logo

MOT Failure - Headlight Pattern
kendo - 23/6/14 at 04:17 PM

I've just put my 7 through its first MOT and it failed on one of the headlights because it did not produce the correct pattern.

Rather bizarre I thought but the tester showed me and I had to agree. One headlight gave the familiar pattern but the other just produced a bright spot. There is no discernable difference in how they look, there is no damage to the glass lens or reflector so I'm at a loss.

Incidentally it passed the SVA with these lights, but if I recall correctly the SVA tester glossed over that part (due to all the other problems most probably!).

My conclusion is that the quality of the glass lens is the problem. I sourced the lights from SVC orginally many moons ago probably a couple of years before I got it on the road (which was 2010) and it has been laid up for 2 years so there is no recourse there.

Anyway I have bought some new lamps to replace the originals but I can't seperate the lamp from the chrome ring. There are 3 wire clips that hold the lamp in place but I can't figure out a way of releasing them.

Does anyone have any tips?

loggyboy - 23/6/14 at 04:19 PM

Was the bulb seated properly? Can give funny patterns if its too close to one of the reflectors.

EDIt - just realised the query is for new parts to replace these - to which I can offer no help.
Some pics might aid though?

[Edited on 23-6-14 by loggyboy]

austin man - 23/6/14 at 08:20 PM

I bought some lamps many moons ago I belive off SVC and the lens needed to be rotated 15 degrees to produce the beam pattern for the uk market. I do think your problem is more likely to be

A bulb seated incorrectly
B. Bulb has been handled incorrectly ie glass has been touched

alfas - 10/7/14 at 09:57 PM

once i bought cheapish (H4) bulbs, which also gave a strange pattern.

it turned out that the bulb was not correctly manufactured: the glas was not correctly aligned to the seat, it was rotated some degrees

buy cheap, buy twice!!!