Board logo

RIP Paul Walker
Ben_Copeland - 1/12/13 at 07:19 AM

BBC news page is reporting Paul Walker from Fast and the Furious films has died in a car crash. He was passenger in a friends Porsche.

Died aged 40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331

[Edited on 1/12/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Sloan85 - 1/12/13 at 08:03 AM

Very sad news :-(

carpmart - 1/12/13 at 08:07 AM

Looks like a MASSIVE accident! Very Sad!

richardR1 - 1/12/13 at 08:50 AM

That is very sad. Always seemed like such a nice guy. Looks like a Carrera GT and a huge accident. RIP

six mad - 1/12/13 at 09:24 AM

Very sad news, hope the impact caused the deaths rather than the fire, RIP to Paul and driver.

iank - 1/12/13 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by six mad
Very sad news, hope the impact caused the deaths rather than the fire, RIP to Paul and driver.

+1

Proby - 1/12/13 at 09:36 AM

RIP Paul Walker (and your driver).

b3ngy - 1/12/13 at 10:03 AM

Yep, very sad news indeed. Looks like it was a BIG accident without the fire. RIP

kj - 1/12/13 at 10:26 AM

Very sad and a big loss, R.I.P

Norfolkluegojnr - 1/12/13 at 10:47 AM

Sad day. Got a lot of kids interested in cars, and helped breed the next generation of petrol heads.

RIP Paul.

unijacko67 - 1/12/13 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
Sad day. Got a lot of kids interested in cars, and helped breed the next generation of petrol heads.

RIP Paul.

+1

ross05 - 1/12/13 at 11:17 AM

very sad day..RIP.

coozer - 1/12/13 at 11:41 AM

No idea who he is, however my heart goes out to the family's of the people killed at the Clutha.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25163045

dave_424 - 1/12/13 at 11:43 AM

He was on his way to a charity event

phelpsa - 1/12/13 at 12:43 PM

Paul was a childhood hero of my generation. Will be sorely missed

britishtrident - 1/12/13 at 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
BBC news page is reporting Paul Walker from Fast and the Furious films has died in a car crash. He was passenger in a friends Porsche.

Died aged 40

A very high energy impact on an urban road -------------------no sympathy here I am just glad no innocent bystander was involved.

On Friday night I was making my way home from an Eddi Reeder concert at the Glasgow Concert Hall, I just reached the bottom of Castle Street when very suddenly the world was full of blue flashing lights heading down towards the Saltmarket and the riverside, when i got home I learned what had happened at the Clutha.

phelpsa - 1/12/13 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

Died aged 40

A very high energy impact on an urban road -------------------no sympathy here I am just glad no innocent bystander was involved.

On Friday night I was making my way home from an Eddi Reeder concert at the Glasgow Concert Hall, I just reached the bottom of Castle Street when very suddenly the world was full of blue flashing lights heading down towards the Saltmarket and the riverside, when i got home I learned what had happened at the Clutha.

The possible stupidity of the driver (who wasn't Paul Walker...) doesn't detract from the sad loss of Paul's life.

britishtrident - 1/12/13 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
quote:

Died aged 40

The possible stupidity of the driver (who wasn't Paul Walker...) doesn't detract from the sad loss of Paul's life.

He was a willing passenger , the guy was "a friend" so he must have known how the guy drove before he got in the car and therefore was equally guilty.
Just because they were filthy rich makes it no different from a pair of kids going wild in stolen car, worse because celebrity brings responsibility which is a concept that seems to be increasingly forgotten particular in the USA where being rich makes you completely immune from the law.

steve m - 1/12/13 at 01:52 PM

Ive never heard of him, and never watched the childish films

shame two people died but judging by the mess of the Porsche, it would appear that were traveling at speed, and the fire spread very quickly, and killed them, hopefully with no one else around

More importantly the heli crash killing 3 in the heli, who were doing their job, probably chasing some scrote who needs to be put away, and at least 5 more in the bar, now that is sad news, and will take a while for the community to get on with life

Steve

owelly - 1/12/13 at 02:00 PM

I'm suprised at a few of these comments. I'm not sure how the collective have gleaned enough information to make such comments without making assumptions but I guess that's what many folks do.
Sympathies to all those involved in the Glasgow incident.
Similar thoughts to Paul and his mates families.

six mad - 1/12/13 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I'm suprised at a few of these comments. I'm not sure how the collective have gleaned enough information to make such comments without making assumptions but I guess that's what many folks do.
Sympathies to all those involved in the Glasgow incident.
Similar thoughts to Paul and his mates families.

Just what I was thinking!

Not Anumber - 1/12/13 at 03:00 PM

+ 1 Owelly, i couldn't put it better than that. Sympathy all round.

jossey - 1/12/13 at 04:21 PM

Given there was a bad fire... Is there a chance that he may have been the driver n they just said he wasn't cos he is a famous person?

The road was a 50kmh road by what I read... Looks bad for 30 mph mmmmmmmmm

beaver34 - 1/12/13 at 04:26 PM

Rip, influenced a lot of young people to get into the car game

Also I find it strange that the people who like him love speed and thrills be the first to act all mr perfect when it comes to an accident, we will have all had close calls its fair to say you win some you loose some

The driver and Paul lost this one

CraigJ - 1/12/13 at 04:52 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
quote:

Died aged 40

He was a willing passenger , the guy was "a friend" so he must have known how the guy drove before he got in the car and therefore was equally guilty.
Just because they were filthy rich makes it no different from a pair of kids going wild in stolen car, worse because celebrity brings responsibility which is a concept that seems to be increasingly forgotten particular in the USA where being rich makes you completely immune from the law.

Being a passenger does not make him guilty.

What and utter wanker you are.

If the pilot of the chopper turns out to be at fault does that mean the passengers were at fault too? would you say they were guilty too?

CraigJ - 1/12/13 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Given there was a bad fire... Is there a chance that he may have been the driver n they just said he wasn't cos he is a famous person?

The road was a 50kmh road by what I read... Looks bad for 30 mph mmmmmmmmm

There is a photo of him getting the passenger side as they set off.

http://www.thewrap.com/paul-walker-dead-car-crash-report-fast-and-furious

coozer - 1/12/13 at 05:06 PM

Craig, theres no need for language like that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I only posted in here because I've been inundated with FB messages about it but as theres thousands of sad deaths everyday it takes something really special to move me...

CraigJ - 1/12/13 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Craig, theres no need for language like that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I only posted in here because I've been inundated with FB messages about it but as theres thousands of sad deaths everyday it takes something really special to move me...

Yes they are but to say he is guilty because he was a passenger is just utterly stupid.

I bet if someone close to BritishTrident was a passenger in a fatal crash his opinion would soon change.

Minicooper - 1/12/13 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

People are entitled to their opinion but when they are wrong and offensive about it then it's my opinion that Craig was spot on

David

twybrow - 1/12/13 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
+ 1 Owelly, i couldn't put it better than that. Sympathy all round.

+1. It is a shame either way, and irrespective of how it happened, it is sad. And of course the Glasgow helicopter incident is also very very sad and my thoughts go out to the loved ones in both cases.

Simon - 1/12/13 at 07:39 PM

Got to admit I've never heard of him either. Condolences to family and friends but that damage hasn't happened at much less than 3 fig speeds (in a 30 ish limit), so as said, let's be very, very grateful they didn't kill anyone else as that really would have been tragic.

And yes, condolences to all involved at Clutha. Very very sad indeed.

ATB

Simon

perksy - 1/12/13 at 08:48 PM

Sad news for lots of people and we should spare a thought for his young daughter
Believe he also did a lot for charity, so RIP

Lets not jump to any conclusions just yet folks, Although I've read that the police are saying there was evidence of speed being an issue...

jeffw - 1/12/13 at 09:34 PM

RIP Roger Rodas....the driver who isn't famous enough for anyone to know his name

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/who-roger-rodas-driver-paul-2873910

kj - 1/12/13 at 09:49 PM

Sad that people bickering over over the death of a person who the family love may they just rest in peace. To be a passenger in life or to drive your own destiny

[Edited on 1/12/13 by kj]

craig1410 - 2/12/13 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
RIP Roger Rodas....the driver who isn't famous enough for anyone to know his name

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/who-roger-rodas-driver-paul-2873910

Seems like Roger Rodas was a petrol-head like most people on this site. Maybe he made a mistake on this occasion (not proven yet btw) but I'm sure many of us here are honest enough to admit that this could have happened to us. I know that I have made mistakes or been caught in circumstances through no fault of my own which could have ended very badly. I'm grateful for the opportunity to reflect on those mistakes and learn from them.

Thanks for posting that link jeffw, it's good to hear a bit about 'the driver'. Both he and Paul will be missed I'm sure.

yellowcab - 2/12/13 at 07:14 AM

Just read on the TMZ offspring site that Roger is being considered a murderer

Bit harsh given the circumstances, I presume then they'd say the same about the late Colin McRae (RIP) then? Ridiculous.

All a bit pathetic in my opinion, we've all done silly things, driven too fast, text whilst driving, towing when we shouldn't, speeding.

For crying out loud, we have two dead people here due to what we do on a daily basis, enjoy our cars.

I have a lot more sadness in my heart due to this, than I do with any coke-snorting celebrities on self destruct. (Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston)

britishtrident - 2/12/13 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

Bit harsh given the circumstances, I presume then they'd say the same about the late Colin McRae (RIP) then? Ridiculous.

All a bit pathetic in my opinion, we've all done silly things, driven too fast, text whilst driving, towing when we shouldn't, speeding.

For crying out loud, we have two dead people here due to what we do on a daily basis, enjoy our cars.

I have a lot more sadness in my heart due to this, than I do with any coke-snorting celebrities on self destruct. (Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston)

You clearly don't know enough about the McRae helicopter crash and the aftermath of suffering it caused.

Colin Mc Rae killed 2 children because he was showing off flying much to low taking chances flying an aircraft that had no C of A which tells us it wasn't properly maintained and wasn't insured, he did not hold a valid type rating for the model of helicopter, a current flying license or medical certificate.

"Sheriff Nikola Stewart, who heard the inquiry over 16 days at Lanark Sheriff Court, concluded that the deaths could have been avoided if Mr McRae had not engaged in low-level flying "when it was unnecessary and unsafe to do so".
"The deaths and the accident resulting in the deaths might have been avoided had Mr McRae not flown his helicopter into the Mouse Valley."
"Mr McRae chose to fly the helicopter into the valley. For a private pilot such as Mr McRae, lacking the necessary training, experience or requirement to do so, embarking upon such demanding, low-level flying in such difficult terrain, was imprudent, unreasonable and contrary to the principles of good airmanship."
"The episodes of extremely low-level flying and the excessive manoeuvre parameters, particularly the descent into the valley by Larkhall, all as captured on the video recording, are indicative of an aircraft being flown imprudently, without due regard to the principles of good airmanship and in such a way that normal safety margins would be reduced."

Because of the lack of insurance Colin McRae caused financial misery for those left behind.

[Edited on 2/12/13 by britishtrident]

yellowcab - 2/12/13 at 09:23 AM

Touché sir, touché... now where's my corner to sit in.

dhutch - 2/12/13 at 09:50 AM

I don’t think, from the reports and photos I have seen, and what I know of American roads, I can pass comment on how appropriate or otherwise the speed there were doing was, or in fact other than a bit of a guess, how fast that even was.

However clearly its great shame that’s it’s happened, for the families left behind, the fans, and population as a whole. The films are not car building documentaries, or exceptional works of literature, but they’re entertaining and sold well, can’t fault that.

RIP indeed I say.

Daniel

Fieldy - 2/12/13 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
Rip, influenced a lot of young people to get into the car game

Also I find it strange that the people who like him love speed and thrills be the first to act all mr perfect when it comes to an accident, we will have all had close calls its fair to say you win some you loose some

The driver and Paul lost this one

Completely agree with the above.

I can’t actually believe some of the other comments on this thread. This thread is about Paul Walker, a well known petrol head, family man and active charity supporter who happened to be a famous actor… start another thread if you wish to talk about the other accidents, dont compare them. The "rich" comment is also a complete load of rubbish - idiot

His death is no more or no less important than any of the other people that have died recently, each event resulted in loss of life and each deserves respect in its own right.

Sympathy for all involved

Slimy38 - 2/12/13 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

It wouldn't be the first time when a dead driver has been considered a murderer. I remember a case of some youths out in a hot hatch that ended badly, the girlfriend died in the passenger seat and her family had no issues blaming the driver for her murder.

Although I think in both cases I believe manslaughter would be more accurate?

Charlie_Zetec - 2/12/13 at 03:00 PM

In the UK, murder is classed as pre-meditated (ie. you go out with the intention of killing another), whereas manslaughter is unplanned, but the end result is a death. In the US, i belive they have murder in varying "degrees", which I have never investigated.

My partner lost her cousin in an RTA early hours of Saturday morning, and I can see how devastating it can be for any family.

At the end of the day, I think it's only fair to send condolences to the families and friends of those involved, and not speak ill of the dead - whether "at fault" or not.

b14wrc - 2/12/13 at 10:52 PM

I was totally gutted waking up to hearing about this on Sunday morning. I have loved watching these films and am totally saddened by the fact we have lost such a nice guy who shared so much in common with all of us on this forum, the fact we all love fast cars. Paul really was a true petrol head.

I'd just like to say my thoughts are with his friends and family who must all miss him very greatly.

Some of the comments on this tread are just insensitive.....

Rob