Board logo

Type 9 cap over speedo cable "outlet"
Rena - 18/2/16 at 10:24 AM

Hi,

I´m not using the speedosensor on my type 9 gearbox.
I have seen on this forum a small cap that can be put on the speedo outlet but can´t find it anymore.

Suggestions?

peter030371 - 18/2/16 at 10:26 AM

Not use one myself but I have seen these before. TYPE 9 AND ROCKET SPEEDO BLANK WITH O RING SEALS. CATERHAM/WESTFIELD/KITCAR,Etc.

I really could do with something like that myself but £25 for a bolt that I can never see again makes me think twice!

Rena - 18/2/16 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Not use one myself but I have seen these before. TYPE 9 AND ROCKET SPEEDO BLANK WITH O RING SEALS. CATERHAM/WESTFIELD/KITCAR,Etc.

I really could do with something like that myself but £25 for a bolt that I can never see again makes me think twice!

I have seen that, but as you mentioned, £25 for that is too much

kingster996 - 18/2/16 at 11:37 AM

I'll see if I can find the info - but I did read that you can remove the core plug on the other side, then remove entire drive, then use a simple/nut/bolt/washer/seal to sort it - it's my plan over the weekend as my old box is out and new one due to go back in.

peter030371 - 18/2/16 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
I'll see if I can find the info - but I did read that you can remove the core plug on the other side, then remove entire drive, then use a simple/nut/bolt/washer/seal to sort it - it's my plan over the weekend as my old box is out and new one due to go back in.

My box is on the bench with the old speedo drive already taken out....I had thought about a bolt/washer(sealant /nut solution but also interested if anyone has done it before

nick205 - 18/2/16 at 11:46 AM

On my type 9 I cut the speedo cable off close to the outlet and left it at that. It never leaked thereafter and I glued magnets onto the diff input with a sensor on an alloy bracket over them to drive my speedo. IMHO chop the cable off and leave it be.

britishtrident - 18/2/16 at 01:50 PM

There is no real need to do anything -- just leave the driven gear and its' small oil seal in situ no cable .no cap required

peter030371 - 18/2/16 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
There is no real need to do anything -- just leave the driven gear and its' small oil seal in situ no cable .no cap required

Mine doesn't have a gear just a hole that will leak oil My gear went to a friends gearbox that had a broken speedo gear!

big-vee-twin - 18/2/16 at 05:39 PM

Mine leaked oil so I cut the end off outer sheath of speedo cable, circlipped it in and sealed the end with RTV silicon

steve m - 18/2/16 at 06:24 PM

if your leaving the hole, put a small bolt and nut through it, with a tap washer each side, and some sealent

I meant HOLE !

[Edited on 18/2/16 by steve m]

peter030371 - 18/2/16 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
if your leaving the whole, put a small bolt and nut through it, with a tap washer each side, and some sealent

Had a little look at lunch time with fresh eyes (!) and this is what I am going to do

richardm6994 - 19/2/16 at 03:47 PM

I have read (either on locostbuilders or RHOCaR) that a 2p piece with a bit of silicon and the original circlip works well to blank off the speedo outlet on a type 9.

[Edited on 19/2/16 by richardm6994]

J90rdn - 21/2/16 at 10:21 PM

BGH sell the caps for both sides for speedo drive delete. Bought these a few weeks ago and they just silicon in place. Looking at my receipt they seem to be £5.60 plus VAT.

Rena - 22/2/16 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J90rdn
BGH sell the caps for both sides for speedo drive delete. Bought these a few weeks ago and they just silicon in place. Looking at my receipt they seem to be £5.60 plus VAT.

BGH?

J90rdn - 22/2/16 at 12:46 PM

BGH geartech. Try typing it in to Google

Rena - 22/2/16 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J90rdn
BGH geartech. Try typing it in to Google

I tought it was abbreviation for something else.