Board logo

Engine problem
dave107 - 22/4/19 at 07:30 PM

Hope everyone had a great Easter and managed to get out in he sun with there cars, perfect weather for a open top.

From the wealth of knowledge on here can anyone help please. Or does anyone know of someone in Sussex who builds/repairs BEC please.

My R1 2003 5pw engine has a knocking sound. After about a year of not using my car I thought now is the time to spend some time getting the car back on the road, it’s been sorn. And getting out in the sun and have some fun again. Today I attached the battery, took the plugs out dropped a tiny amount of oil in each cylinder, put car in gear and pushed it back and forth to move the pistons without compression all was fine. Refitted the plugs put the leads on and attempted to start the engine, it started with first press of the start button, run for about 45-60 seconds then the revs started to get slower to the point I though it was going to stall, so I revved the engine slightly not loads just enough to keep it going then a knocking noise could be heard from the engine. I checked the oil and water both fine. Started engine again fired up but still knocking. Any ideas please

gremlin1234 - 22/4/19 at 07:50 PM

is it new fuel? or year old unleaded?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 22/4/19 at 07:54 PM

Did you spin the engine over with the plugs out if not if you put oil down the bores it may off hydro locked the engine possible damage to small end or big end bearings or worse bent the Conrods

dave107 - 22/4/19 at 08:16 PM

Hi gremlin

Fuel about 2-3 month old, I drained the tank and started again.

Ian I turned engine over with plugs in after putting in about 1/4 tea spoon in each bore.

snapper - 23/4/19 at 07:43 AM

Does sound like a bearing
You tube has a video on how to test for a big end bearing by taking the plug out and using a screwdriver, checking for a main is usually sump off

dave107 - 23/4/19 at 09:35 AM

hi snapper

Is the video in general or for an R1 or doesn't matter.

perksy - 23/4/19 at 07:47 PM

I've always found a stethoscope invaluable for diagnosis on noises like this

I bought one off ebay that has a small 'amplifier box' and a long probe
It wasn't expensive, but has paid for itself many times over

Looked at an engine once that had a suspected main bearing rumble and it turned out to be an over-tightened dry sump pump belt in the end
(thanks to the stethoscope)