Board logo

Engine and gearbox combo
hearbear - 13/5/16 at 10:52 PM

Been building a Stylus for a while now but after surgery on both feet now have difficulty with the clutch when driving so looking at the possibility of going automatic. So with this in mind wondering what engine and auto box you would recommend as a poss doner. Would be looking for a 4 cyl rear wheel drive combo.

owelly - 14/5/16 at 01:48 AM

Omega or BMW? Both are readily available in auto and are cheap as chips. Or MX5?

rusty nuts - 14/5/16 at 06:59 AM

Have you considered an electrically operated clutch? A mate had one fitted to his camper an as his wife doesn't like using a foot operated clutch , it had a button on top of the gear-lever and worked really well when I drove it.

mark chandler - 14/5/16 at 05:43 PM

Another possibility is to fit a servo on the clutch, I presume you have a hydraulic clutch?

Just get a remote one and tuck it away somewhere neatly.

scimjim - 19/8/16 at 08:16 AM

measure your chassis first - auto boxes are much wider than manuals! I'm fitting an MX5 1600 and auto box to a scimitar small sports chassis - beauty of this combo is the low compression engine you get with the auto - just right for a supercharger

hearbear - 19/8/16 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
measure your chassis first - auto boxes are much wider than manuals! I'm fitting an MX5 1600 and auto box to a scimitar small sports chassis - beauty of this combo is the low compression engine you get with the auto - just right for a supercharger

It should be OK as I have a RV8 with LT77 in at the moment will need to pull that and sell.

scimjim - 19/8/16 at 10:05 AM

Ah - ok, LT77 is pretty huge

MattD - 19/8/16 at 10:26 AM

Hi George

As said.... Omega V6 & the getrag auto to go with it... dirt cheap. or the obvious BMW options.
Why not convert the Rover to auto ?

Completely different I know but...
Thought a about a 4 cyl bike engine, with a cable clutch you hardly need to use & flappy paddles on the steering wheel ??

Cheers
Matt

hearbear - 19/8/16 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattD
Hi George

As said.... Omega V6 & the getrag auto to go with it... dirt cheap. or the obvious BMW options.
Why not convert the Rover to auto ?

Completely different I know but...
Thought a about a 4 cyl bike engine, with a cable clutch you hardly need to use & flappy paddles on the steering wheel ??

Cheers
Matt

Is the omega a rear wheel drive? Or would I need a box out of another car to go with a omega engine.

Slimy38 - 19/8/16 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hearbear

Is the omega a rear wheel drive? Or would I need a box out of another car to go with a omega engine.

Omega is rear wheel drive, one of the last from Vauxhall I believe (if you don't count the monster VXR's)

Pojo - 19/8/16 at 01:58 PM

How about a Jag S Type, 3.0 V6, rear wheel drive and over half of them were built with Autobox. 240Hp stock. cheap as chips. Change the S type sump for an X type, better shape. It is smaller, lighter and more powerfull that a stock or slightly modified RV8.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 19/8/16 at 02:01 PM

Couldn't you get an auto box for the rover engine ?

bj928 - 11/8/17 at 05:48 AM

new mustangs have 4 pot 2.3 duratecs with auto/flappy paddle set up, that would be trick