Board logo

Where are all the Luego's?
Irony - 6/7/11 at 10:51 AM

When I bought my car the Luego website said that there were quite a few Viento's and Velocity's on the road. Something like 60 of each. Going to shows and things I reckon I might have spotted 20-30 tops. What happened to the rest? Are they many kitcar owners who just don't go to shows or are they just rotting in garages part finished?

[Edited on 6/7/11 by Irony]

norfolkluego - 6/7/11 at 11:37 AM

Luego here but never been to a show, so that's one

richwill - 6/7/11 at 11:47 AM

Mine has been on the road for two years. Only been to Exeter show in it.

wicket - 6/7/11 at 01:48 PM

Luego Locost here, on the road since June 2006, never been to a show in it.

rusty nuts - 6/7/11 at 06:23 PM

Ask Clive,(JollyGreenGiant) he probably has the most complete list of Luego owners

andrewc - 8/7/11 at 08:58 PM

I'm building a Velocity. I will get it finished one day.

Andrew from Wigan.

wilkingj - 8/7/11 at 10:15 PM

Mines been on the road for 5 years, usually do Stoneleigh and Newark and camp all weekend. Missed Newark in the Viento this year for the first time.

Dave Bailey - 9/7/11 at 11:08 PM

I have a velocity and it is nearly finished....

Dave B

blockhead_rich - 10/7/11 at 07:26 AM

OTR with mine but don't seem to get much time to use it let alone taking it to a show

Rich

[Edited on 10/7/11 by blockhead_rich]

rusty nuts - 10/7/11 at 08:18 AM

There is a Viento part built on Ebay at the moment that I think will be a bargain for someone.

Matt_C - 20/1/12 at 01:57 PM

Hi, just to add to the thread me and my mate now each have a Luego Velocity 'project'. Both are being worked on in our warehouse at work. It will be a couple of years until mine is back on the road, just in the process of stripping it all down at the moment.

richard thomas - 20/1/12 at 07:31 PM

Been a builder/owner for some years, but work always keeps me away from the shows...last one was stoneleigh about 4 years ago...but hopefully this year things might change.....that said, best intentions as always... It's a nice crowd as I remember....Mel and Clive know a lot of stuf, and are very nice chaps....and a lot of other good chaps (and gals) to.....also Steve Gough just up the road from me who I must go see soon....

Need to re-commission mine for this year, I think I finally have a chance to spend some time on it for a change....main problem being the braided fuel lines which have decided to perish and p*ss fuel everywhere....think I was sold water pipe instead of fuel pipe....lessons learned.....

Rich

[Edited on 20/1/12 by richard thomas]

jollygreengiant - 21/1/12 at 03:33 PM

Where are they, well thats a good questiion, I keep on trying to encourage people to turn up at the shows, but ...............

The trouble is you can't force people to turn up, sometimes things just conspire against people, (a bit like me attending the local kit car meet with the shift I work I can't have a drink and by the time I get there its time to come away and I do find it quite tiring these days but I will get there again some time.

Any way back to Luego, I don't think the actual numbers have changed that much (due probably to trading condition as discussed at the shows at the evening 'functions' ).

I think that quite a few have become 'stalled' mid build and some have changed hands/owners in that condition. Over all I think that quite a few of us builders are finding things a little 'tight' financially and are adjusting their useage accordingly. We have, unfortunately, been an high volume sold marque and so we have and always will be a bit of a 'special' marque. some vehicle are purely used for racing purposes, some are fair weather only cars and some............... well put in what ever you want. I do think that for those that have built, owned or drive a Luego, then they will always give a little tug to the heart strings.

As for mine, its up on stands, still got to remanufacture the engine mounts and then get the exhaust sorted cos its got to have an MOT this year.

Edit bit

I've just been having a quick scan through the luego section (and others) and if you look at the number of times each posting gets read then we don't seem to be that bad as owners groups go because of the number of readings of each post being somewhere around 1000+ (this is as a generalisation). So either we are a forgetful bunch, or people find what we say useful.

[Edited on 21/1/12 by jollygreengiant]

wilkingj - 21/1/12 at 05:39 PM

Phew!! Just been and checked, an its still there in the garage.
I know where at least one of the Vientos is

Paul (Notts) - 21/1/12 at 05:54 PM

Cant find mine now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But will still be at the shows..

Paul

NeilP - 22/1/12 at 04:05 PM

It's the time as well as money that seems to have got tight. Just been out for a blat in mine with my mate in his Westy - first time either of us has been out since the start of December!

We went over to Mallory Park to see where I crashed his at a trackday in 2010 - good job we're very good mates!...

Mallory hairpin
Mallory hairpin

billy - 19/2/12 at 08:01 PM

Well mines still tucked up in me garage since 2007! I recon it's got to be one of the first Leuego out there, I brought it off the main man Ron when he started off with a engineering company, that's even before the name Leuego started I even fitted a 5speed quaife box couple years ago and fitted it, but not had the time to get her back on the road

wicket - 20/2/12 at 10:51 PM

Mines currently off the road for the winter. Been on the road since June 2006. The basic kit is one of the first supplied by the original Luego in Ramsey Heights in early 2002.

ryanagray2003 - 23/7/15 at 06:36 PM

HI,

Iv got a luego velocity bought it complete just over a year ago and would like to find the original builder.

Its chassy number suggests it was made in 2007, and first registered on 1/1/2008 its Red with a 1.8 zetec engine with 5 speed box.

Im just after some build info and general history of the car if anyone can help please.

REG No Q147VDA

Cheers

billy - 24/7/15 at 01:18 PM

mines still in the garage gathering dust :-)

blockhead_rich - 24/7/15 at 04:04 PM

Not a good year for me either, and so it's still sorn'd 😕

wilkingj - 3/8/15 at 02:23 PM

Mine is now somewhere in Germany.
After I built it, I had it for 8 years, sold it to a guy in Kent, who had it for two years then sold it to a dealer in Holland, who sold it to a guy in Germany late last year (2104).
Now I have lost track of my old car.

I miss it, but I was only doing 300 miles a year in the last two years I owned it.
Sold it, bought a Sprinter Van.
Joined the SBMCC (Self Build Motor Caravan Club) - A sort of Locostbuilders for Motorhomes!
Converter the Sprinter into a motorhome. Was at Stoneleigh with the Sprinter this year.

Still miss the Viento, but time moves on!

Geoff

Bingham - 4/8/15 at 03:30 PM

Well I bought Steve Lovelock's one 2 years ago and it's been on the road properly for the last 2 months. Now with new Coscast C20XE, 45mm bodies, Swindon cams, Quaife close ratio straight cut, 3.92 diff and big bore exhaust. To France for a track day to run it in last week and it performed faultlessly( much to everyone's surprise).

rusty nuts - 4/8/15 at 06:16 PM

I wondered what had happened to Steve, we haven't seen him for a while

richard thomas - 15/8/15 at 08:41 PM

Mine's in Paris somewhere, last I heard......

jollygreengiant - 16/8/15 at 06:50 AM

Please note everyone, my LOCATION is changing, the car IS coming with me. When I have moved it will change to Changed or Moved. IF you REALLY do need to know exactly where I am going to then U2U me (if I haven't U2U'd you) I have an Idea that certain family members are following my trail so, .........

NeilP - 16/8/15 at 09:42 AM

Some great driving roads in Los Angeles Clive

jollygreengiant - 16/8/15 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
Some great driving roads in Los Angeles Clive

Yep, just a shame about have to learn to drawl Armehrihcarn.

alfiebeard - 7/9/15 at 09:51 PM

My Viento is still going strong....love the thing but I am starting to get a bit old to drive it like I used to ...but its good fun trying too

Alfie

kenton - 8/9/15 at 07:57 PM

Mine is clocking up the miles, done 40k plus so far. Most with SKCC on morning blats with at least one european roadtrip a year, Never broken down (shouldnt have said that) 285 hp and 300 lb feels a bit tame now.

Stelvio https://youtu.be/rDLF2gBPgYA

Compilation video of this years Alps trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejP1GIT5FA
Kenton

Danozeman - 23/9/15 at 09:30 PM

My Luego Locost has been tucked away for a couple of years. Got it on the road in jan 2009. Its out to play this year but haven't been to any shows for 3 years maybe 4. Kids forces lack of use.
Its broken at the minute, I did a local car show a couple of weeks ago and it boiled up.

Description
Description

bill132hotrod - 7/10/15 at 01:41 PM

I am still out hear, was off road for a bit but back out now, i joined the southernkitcar club a few years back.
brilliant club out and about most weekend and always organiseing different trips all over the place.
we were at North Weald last Friday on a car limits day (brilliant day out group of 20 good laugh and banter just what a clubs all about).
Ive done a few mods since building mine and looking to do a few more soon.
I am looking for someone to supply a full roll cage kit or someone that can bend one up for me, but not having much luck.
anyway here is proof i am still on scene.

[Edited on 7/10/15 by bill132hotrod]

billy - 9/10/15 at 08:29 PM

threadbare wallet - 29/11/15 at 07:51 AM

I have a luego locost built near the new forest and on the road since2007 bought by me a few years back,its got a stock xflow but i'm in the (slow ) process of rebuilding a 1660 with twin cam pistons to go in it which i hope to get in it in time for the spring track days,it had 1700miles on it when i got it and was a great build now 3500(not enough but i work 7days)
how are the chassis seen in the kit world?

rusty nuts - 29/11/15 at 10:46 AM

Luego chassis was AFAIK the only locust chassis to have ever been tested by Cranfield institute , how it compares to others I can't say but when I took my IRS Luego to Procomp for a suspension set up they did mention the fact that the chassis was very good as far as alignment was concerned, far better than some others they had set up . It did however have a very slight amount of toe out at the rear which due to lack of time on the day they weren't able to correct , a couple of hours work back home using some shim stock and a pair of scissors it's now parallel. I know Hotrodbill has had problems with his rear end but I believe his chassis may be a much later chassis rather than original Luego . The Viento apparently has a 10mm discrepancy side to side . If you haven't already sorted it check out the known crush tube issue , do a search on here, and if yours is an IRS chassis check for bent rear suspension uprights, Both mine were bent but I was able to straighten them in a press then weld on a reinforcing strip , again do a search. And don't forget the crap powder coating!!!!

threadbare wallet - 30/11/15 at 09:02 PM

Its solid axle but will have a look for the crush tube thing cheers.i'm going for a corner weighting etc in the spring so will see how stright it is then

rusty nuts - 1/12/15 at 06:44 PM

Check out the crush tubes before getting it set up otherwise it's a waste of time .

mccsp - 1/12/15 at 11:07 PM

I have a Velocity XT too, been on the road since 2009, only been to one show some time ago. Can't remember which one of the top of my head (only went for the day.

There is/was another one on my estate earlier in the year.

Jonas - 9/12/15 at 01:47 PM

There is at least 1 Luego in Sweden :-)
Im building a R1 Velocity, been some years since I started but it will be on the road next year (house and kids has slowed down the build...)

Description
Description

https://youtu.be/kINodekSPI0

/Jonas

Gersen - 1/1/16 at 06:39 PM

I bought Steve Lovelocks XT from Bingham a couple of months ago.

Still going strong

rickys2000 - 21/5/17 at 05:15 PM

Its now the almost the middle of 2017 and I still have mine....due its 4th mot in June and touch wood, (after blowing up 2 x S2000 engines), it should sail through. The MOT is never the issue its always the right foot and trying to extract more than the 9000rpm javascript:icon(''

Ricky

Gersen - 21/5/17 at 05:54 PM

Mines in bits atm - bore wear lead to leaning and an HG going so while I was in there I thought it was rude not to make the most of the 20XE/coscast weapon it's got these days- it's receiving all sorts of Omega forged loveliness and has had a few cc's added.

Head's being dressed and skimmed atm - then the bottom end is another dry assembly and back for piston machining and decking - it will be a fruity lump

Debating a sequential box but rather like the Quaife close ratio clubman set I've got atm.

BRB gotta pour some money into a pit

Kev1n - 9/6/17 at 05:48 AM

HI everyone ....

Thought I would add mine, only purchased 3-4 weeks ago..

loving it at the moment, Essex.

[Edited on 9/6/17 by Kev1n]

repper - 1/7/17 at 05:22 PM

still slowly building my viento in York

[Edited on 1/7/17 by repper]

darrens - 12/8/17 at 01:26 PM

Not been on here in awhile.
One built Luego Viento n South Yorkshire. Thinking of selling but not sure.

matt5964 - 12/8/17 at 02:45 PM

Mine with be at rockingham tomorrow

alfiebeard - 26/8/17 at 08:34 PM

Well its nearly two years since I was last on here and my Viento is still going strong, I have never had one single problem with it in the last 3yrs, unlike the Mercedes S350 Bluetec I bought, what a pile of shite that was 3k in repairs within 15,000mls was glad to get rid.

Cant beat Viento's brilliant bits of kit.

Alfie

matt5964 - 27/8/17 at 06:50 AM

Nice one.

Well be back on track on 4th at Donny. That will be the 4th this year hopping to do a couple more al well.