Board logo

Race Only Zero
Ron Lang - 23/12/16 at 11:08 AM

Hope this is in the right place.

I am considering completing Zero#2 as a track only car. Could anyone tell me what the implications of this would be? For example:

-Does it still need an IVA/registration?

-What components DONT I have to fit to the car

-Are there additional rules I would have to adhere to.

I'm not looking to enter a series or anything at this point, just to take the car on track/test sessions.

Thanks.

jps - 23/12/16 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ron LangDoes it still need an IVA/registration?

Ever seen a number plate or a tax disc on an F1 car? AFAIK IVA and registration is only for vehicles to be used on the public road - for a track only car you don't have to do that.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron LangWhat components DONT I have to fit to the car

Might depend on the rules of whoever is running the track/test day - I'd guess the main "don't have to" is "anything that is only needed to pass IVA". Maybe some lights aren't required for track day (reversing light anyone?!) - you have free rein on steering wheels - and maybe no-one will be checking for sharp edges (but you might still want to avoid them!)

quote:
Originally posted by Ron LangAre there additional rules I would have to adhere to.

Best to ask the people running the events you are interested in really. No first hand experience but have seen mention of MSA Blue Book requirements re: rollover protection for some sprinting/hill climbing/racing (although you mention no competition at this point it might be better to do things that way from the start if you intend to do it in the future) - and mandatory towing eyes for some trackdays (which i've never seen as part of the 'standard' setup of any 7 - although I know people have made and fitted them.

[Edited on 23/12/16 by jps]

[Edited on 23/12/16 by jps]

CosKev3 - 23/12/16 at 12:46 PM

I think you would be best off getting yourself a proper MSA approved cage seeing as you are considering to enter some events in the future.

If you build now with non compliant roll over protection it will be a biggish job in the future you will need to do again

Ron Lang - 23/12/16 at 12:53 PM

OK, thanks. Will look into it.

Been googling but can't work out what I would be doing differently (or not doing) by preparing for the track rather than the road.

For example, I could remove the windscreen, lights etc. The bodywork isn't in great condition (even though its never been driven!) so I would be replacing all this anyway.

I assume I wouldn't need a CAT or to aim for emissions limits etc (although noise limits obviously apply).

I assume its only when you race that you need a cut off switch, extinguisher etc.

loggyboy - 23/12/16 at 12:53 PM

Most trackdays dont require car to be road legal, only that you ensure its safe.
Wheel arches would be only thing I can think of that you would need, things like lights etc wouldn't be needed.
Only some (like MSVT road car only days etc) wouldnt let you enter.
Obviously circuit racing wouldnt care
Sprints wouldnt
Autotest wouldnt
Autosolos would (car needs to be taxed/mot and driven to venue)

[Edited on 23-12-16 by loggyboy]

bi22le - 23/12/16 at 03:36 PM

If I was building a track car I would still use the book as a guide.

Sharp edges and other safety aspects are just sensible good practice.

I have been on track days that are 'road going only' where you had to bring evidence. People that trailered their cars to the track were question heavily.

Mud guards are a must, indicators and lights are sensible, mirrors are senaible. These are things you dont NEED but I use every track day and if your going to fit them then you might as well do it as per IVA.

The immediate thing, which has already been mentioned, is a cat. My car is track only but could be MOT tomorrow. The only change I have made is wiring the fod light into the brake light to increased visibility for the cars behind.

Ron Lang - 23/12/16 at 04:57 PM

I certainly wasn't suggesting I wanted to avoid safety related features. My question is more related to the costs of getting the car on the road, and also insuring and taxing the car for road use. If I am planning on using it mainly for track use I just wanted to know what else I would be doing differently if I went down that route.

mark chandler - 23/12/16 at 06:05 PM

I sprint my car, even though it is registered its not taxed mot'd or insured so I have to go sports libre.... Not an issue as I like having a go, to win is not mandatory.

johnnybizzle1986 - 6/9/17 at 11:55 AM

Hi All,

Tagging on to this post, I am currently building a Zero race car>

Currently assembling the running gear and suspension at the minute, the car came with Gaz coilovers with 350 and 250 pound springs, which I have on another road/occasional trackcar, can anyone advise on whether to up the spring or just wind up the dampers to reduce roll?,

also toying with putting a lightweight flywheel in, is it worth it? the series/class is limited to 152 BHP

any info would be much appreciated

Regards Jon