Board logo

Bonnet Catches
Dooey99 - 23/1/14 at 11:22 PM

Can someone tell me if these little beautys are IVA applicable?

i was going to use aero catches but cant fit them at the nose cone end as i have an exhaust manifold that goes through the engine cover above the chassis rail.

ste - 24/1/14 at 06:15 AM

They don't look very strong

Dooey99 - 24/1/14 at 07:25 AM

New plan...

Two aero catches at the bonnet end and then some little bits of alloy that a fixed to the engine cover and hook under the nose cone then two of the catches I have just shown to go at the nose cone end if the bonnet cover just to pull it into shape

Daddylonglegs - 24/1/14 at 08:00 AM

Just wondered if I have an issue with my profile? I can't see any pictures or links

CosKev3 - 24/1/14 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Just wondered if I have an issue with my profile? I can't see any pictures or links

I can't either?

Rob55 - 24/1/14 at 08:07 AM

Why not just use a pair of bonnet locating pins which locate the front of the bonnet into the nose cone and then aero catches at the scuttle end. Thats what I am doing

theprisioner - 24/1/14 at 12:04 PM

Aero catches are the dog's bollocks. They look good and sail thru IVA (designed for the job)................

I have them 4off on my Sylva.

You are right however they are not designed for a stressful life (like regular track days). Even on the manufacturers web site they recommend changing the locating pins from alloy to steel for harsh use. Before throwing the latch leaver you have to carefully align the pins. I expect to have a failure at some time but they have been ok so far. They problem is closing them, the assembly is just too weak IMO (made of glass reinforced plastic).