Board logo

Mot question, as of may 2018 (MOT Tester?)
steve m - 5/6/18 at 07:56 PM

Hi All

I went to book my 7 in for its Mot earlier today, and the Tester, someone ive known for 30 years, and done about 15 tests on my locost 7, said that before he could do the Mot, he had to read up about kit cars and the like, as the new Mot test (may2018) had a specific article about them, and their specific requirement's compared to normal road cars

Ive read as much as I can about the current Mot rules on line, etc, and not found a thing about Kit cars

Has any one else had a similar problem, or any one had there kit car done recently , that could point me to an area I can look for anything relating to kit cars and the CURRENT 2018 MOT rules ?

So, I failed in even booking an Mot !

regards

steve

obfripper - 5/6/18 at 09:13 PM

There's nothing specific changed for kit cars in the new mot, there are some things that changed for all vehicles that are more likely to affect kit cars such as:
Removal of the engine age changing the applicable emissions limits - this is now by the 1st registration date or v5c limits if present (unless you're pre 2001 registered, pre sva and q plate still fall under visual smoke only)
Reverse lamp presence/operation for 2009 onward vehicles.
Hid lamps fitted in non dcr marked enclosures now fail regardless of beam pattern.

There's probably a few more, but nothing major i can think of.
Have a read of:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles
This is basically all that we've been supplied as guidance for applying the new mot changes, there are alot of things that have changed and are not even mentioned in this guidance.
There are also a handful of items that fail according to the testing manual, yet have no failure on the testing system - some have been corrected, but we're waiting on the rest.

Dave

steve m - 5/6/18 at 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply, my car is pre SVA/IVA, so as far as I can see falls in into the visual smoke test, and no emissions, although Hes always done the emissions, and its always passed on the 1979 original car V5

twybrow - 5/6/18 at 10:58 PM

I am wondering what will be said about my car next month - a BEC with no reverse gear, so no reverse light. Is it a case of 'if it is fitted it has to work' I wonder....?

907 - 6/6/18 at 05:07 AM

If it was me I think that I would firstly get the car correctly registered.

ken555 - 6/6/18 at 08:35 AM

I had an MOT yesterday, and the emissions machine wouldn't allow a "Visual inspection" even though the car is a Q reg since 1987.

It wanted CO < 4.5% and HC of <1200 ppm, is this the new standard ?

Tester was confused by it and couldn't get thru on phone to check with DVSA.

MOT MANUAL ONline seems to suggest it doesn't need checked.

You must inspect vehicles with spark ignition engines first used on or after 1 August 1975.

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975: kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 Wankel rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987 Q plated vehicles

Testers though that the latest software update has removed the visual inspection option.

[Edited on 6-6-18 by ken555]

obfripper - 6/6/18 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ken555
I had an MOT yesterday, and the emissions machine wouldn't allow a "Visual inspection" even though the car is a Q reg since 1987.

It wanted CO < 4.5% and HC of <1200 ppm, is this the new standard ?

Tester was confused by it and couldn't get thru on phone to check with DVSA.

MOT MANUAL ONline seems to suggest it doesn't need checked.

You must inspect vehicles with spark ignition engines first used on or after 1 August 1975.

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975: kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 Wankel rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987 Q plated vehicles

Testers though that the latest software update has removed the visual inspection option.

[Edited on 6-6-18 by ken555]

A Q plate is only ever a visual check for petrol or diesel vehicles.
There is no need for any paperwork with a visual only check - it may have previously been an option on his emissions equipment to give a printout, but is not required for customer or dvsa records.

Dave

motorcycle_mayhem - 6/6/18 at 05:31 PM

It'll be interesting to find out what the 'optional' MoT test will have as a 'pass' definition for historic vehicles. Given that it's already been said (for what that's worth) that a historic 'fail' on an MoT will have to be fixed. Now there's an incentive to have your hysterical vehicle checked. I have until December to decide (the Land Rover), hopefully all resolved and understood by then.

Also, and very kit car relevant, the Q-plate thing appears to have been left untouched (which is superb, why anyone would want anything but a Q I still fail to understand, just seems a vanity thing). BUT remember there are many 'historic' Ford MK Duttons out there, for which an 'historic' MoT should have remained rather limited. We'll see.

big_wasa - 6/6/18 at 06:27 PM

I took mine about three weeks ago and it’s a 1.8 pinto, it’s on an age related plate and again the machine wanted CO < 4.5% and HC of <1200 ppm.
Now it passed this ok despite being a touch rich

BUT...

The guy was adamant that “when” I fit a newer engine it would be tested according to the date of the engine. Surely it’s got to be the age of the chassis ?

obfripper - 6/6/18 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I took mine about three weeks ago and it’s a 1.8 pinto, it’s on an age related plate and again the machine wanted CO < 4.5% and HC of <1200 ppm.
Now it passed this ok despite being a touch rich

BUT...

The guy was adamant that “when” I fit a newer engine it would be tested according to the date of the engine. Surely it’s got to be the age of the chassis ?

You're right, as things were it was according to the oldest of the engine age or first registration, with the new changes it is date of first registration only that determines the default emissions limit.
For vehicles that have passed sva/iva, they are tested to the emissions limits on the v5c if present, if not present then according to the first registration date.
For your vehicle this would mean v5c limits, or a full cat test.

Dave

pif - 12/7/18 at 01:33 PM

I don't have a CAT fitted as on a carb bike engine. But on my v5 it has a Lambda set of readings. I suppose it will be that I am expected to "pass" this. Any thoughts on how this will pan out?

I can prob squeeze through the Co2 and HC limits.

steve m - 12/7/18 at 08:50 PM

I forgot about writing this thread!

Firstly to 907, my car is correctly registered, as it is PRE SVA/IVA, and something you may of missed in the original question,

but secondly, I still havnt done the MOT, due work holidays and having a good life, plus I do 500 miles a day now at work, so do I want to drive a little noisy machine at week ends!

steve

obfripper - 12/7/18 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pif
I don't have a CAT fitted as on a carb bike engine. But on my v5 it has a Lambda set of readings. I suppose it will be that I am expected to "pass" this. Any thoughts on how this will pan out?

I can prob squeeze through the Co2 and HC limits.

I would have thought your vehicle should be on 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC with no lambda requirement, assuming your current plate was the age related plate at registration.
If this is post 08/95 then a cat test will be required, unless the tester looks at the E reg and puts it down as 1987/8 on the emissions tester.

If you have a look at your sva/iva certificate, the last digit of the class/type code will give the correct emissions limit. The dvla are good at getting this wrong.

A Visual test only;
B Emission limit 4.5% CO, HC 1200ppm;
C Emission limit 3.5%, CO, HC 1200ppm;
D Emission limit 0.5% CO, Fast idle 0.3% CO, 200ppm HC; Lambda 0.97 1.03;
E Emissions limit as per DOT current In Service Emissions Standards book;
F Emissions limit Diesel 2.5m-1;
G Emissions limit Turbo Diesel 3.0m-1

Dave

chrisbmxr - 13/7/18 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I am wondering what will be said about my car next month - a BEC with no reverse gear, so no reverse light. Is it a case of 'if it is fitted it has to work' I wonder....?

I had my BEC MOT'd last week with no issues at all. Mine does have a reverse, but I didn't think it was a requirement for the MOT?

pif - 13/7/18 at 11:44 AM

Mine is on an age-related E but "first registered" in 2007.

The V5 shows emissions of %CO0.5 0.3FI HC0.02FI and Lambda 0.97 - 1.03

Its got no CAT and is on carbs.