Board logo

Aries IRS rear wishbone brace: Interest?
phelpsa - 18/12/10 at 07:28 PM

I know there are quite a few Aries owners on here. When I was at Procomp Matt suggested that if running sticky tyres, a brace between the two lower rear wishbone mounts would be a good idea as there is a possibility that the brackets could start to come away from the chassis by tearing the top of the tube. Obviously there's nothing to say that they will, just that there is a possibility.

The brace bar will go on the rear of the brackets shown here:

I'm going to be fabricating a brace bar for mine over the winter and will have to buy 2m of steel, so was wondering if anyone else would be interested.

It will essentially be a length of 1" 18swq steel with a 1/2" RH rod end in one end and a 1/2" LH rod end in the other. Will be looking at about £25 + postage including longer bolts, washers and nylocks. Thats £20 materials and £5 for the effort Not looking to make more than 2 or 3.

Any interest?

Richard Quinn - 18/12/10 at 08:12 PM

Yes please! I'll have one please. Do you want money now if you are forking out for the materials?

phelpsa - 18/12/10 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Yes please! I'll have one please. Do you want money now if you are forking out for the materials?

On the list!

Don't want any payment until I've made one and I'm confident there are no issues. Will be ordering the materials soon hopefully for delivery after christmas so will put up some pictures then to make sure people are happy

matt_gsxr - 18/12/10 at 09:38 PM

Adam,

I have one of these on my Phoenix, the structure is a bit different back there but the problem is similar.

You don't actually need proper rod ends, as there is no motion/flexing.

Here is mine in-place before the bodywork went on (you need to rotate your head by 90deg, sorry). I don't know for certain why it has a bend in it.

Matt

phelpsa - 18/12/10 at 09:49 PM

Matt,

Main reason for going for rod ends is that its an easy way to make it adjustable The aim is that all I have to do is make one cut and two welds and its ready to go, no faffing around with mm perfect measurements etc.

DIY Si - 19/12/10 at 12:19 PM

Also, if you make it the right length you could say it's adjustable for various chassis too. Should you wish to make more in the future.

PAUL FISHER - 14/2/12 at 01:55 PM

Adam, I know its a old thread, but have you got a picture of this bar fitted to your car, thanks Paul

phelpsa - 14/2/12 at 06:32 PM

This is about as good as it gets sorry paul!

PAUL FISHER - 14/2/12 at 07:39 PM

Thanks for the picture Adam, it looks a good idea, I am going to be running slicks, I am sure if Matt advised you to fit one, then its worth fitting, so going to fit one to mine, I don't know how old the thread is, can you still supply me with one

phelpsa - 15/2/12 at 09:03 AM

Paul, I would love to say yes but realistically im struggling a bit for time at the moment. I can send you the measurements tonight if you like, it really is quite a simple job.

PAUL FISHER - 15/2/12 at 12:23 PM

Yes if you could send me the measurements, that would be great Adam, thanks