Board logo

Convex Rear View Mirror
ChrisJ15 - 5/11/17 at 11:24 AM

I know this is mainly personal taste but how have people got on with convex rear view mirrors for road use?

I have a J15 with twin roll hoops and there isnt much you can see between them even with a high mounted mirror.

Cant help thinking convex might be a bit dodgy in terms of judging distance ('object may be closer than they appear'.

i was toying with normal (Spa) centre mirror and convex side mirrors but thats partly because I want retro bullet side mirrors because I like the look!

907 - 2/12/17 at 05:32 PM

I think that you would get used to them, and you wouldn't have a problem.
Its like owning an auto and a manual. You jump in and drive, no problem.
They work better the nearer they are to your eyes. Not so good on a Seven but may be better on your car.

I have flat bullet mirrors and they have a limited field of view, but I too love the look so fitted them after IVA.
I do have a very good central mirror taken from an MX5 so that makes up for the lack of view in the bullets.
If I had found convex bullets I would have bought them without hesitation.

Paul G

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/12/17 by 907]

Matt21 - 13/1/18 at 09:55 PM

I use a longacre convex rear view mirror on my indy and its perfect!

My side mirrors tend to just flop out of the correct position above 40mph but thankfully with the longacre I can see out the rear and both sides very well!
I don't have reverse so judging distance behind idnt very critical for me, but I imagine its not bad at all

loggyboy - 13/1/18 at 10:09 PM

The Lexus IS200 has a convex mirror, I found it really good as it gives a excellent blind spot coverage. Im suprised its the only car ive ever had that came with one. However by brother hated it.

[Edited on 13-1-18 by loggyboy]

TRX - 5/2/18 at 02:39 PM

I hate them... but I've added them to a couple of my cars anyway, to cover blind spots in local "demolition derby" rush hour traffic, and for pulling a trailer.