Board logo

Latex, nitrile, vinyl gloves
russbost - 10/10/18 at 12:30 PM

What do people find are the best gloves for general mechanical work, handling etc.

I am now totally confused by the amount of different types on the market, vinyl, plastic, nitrile, latex, powdered, unpowdered the list goes on.

Are any of these tougher than others, less likely to split etc. worth paying a bit extra for & where are you guys buying from & price per 100 would be handy, what are advantages/disadvantages of powdered/unpowdered

rusty nuts - 10/10/18 at 01:07 PM

I tend to use nitrile , they seem a little better tear resistant than latex but still split easily . I was given a sample pair of black gloves which had small bobbles on them which seemed to last well but me being a tightarse didn't buy any. Can't remembe what they were called but in hindsight they would probably work out cheaper in the long run. Powdered gloves are easier to put on especially after washing hands but I keep a small container of talcum powder in my toolbox and dose up new gloves when needed

davspeed - 10/10/18 at 01:48 PM

I use nitrile coated work gloves (put that in ebay search) for general work, they last me about 2 to 4 weeks per pair for car work and gardening. I then use the thin nitrile glovers for oily stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Pairs-100-NITRILE-COATED-Red-Black-Nylon-Work-Gloves-Builders-Gardening-Grip/172501870755?hash=item2829e9a8a3:m:mRh_8wy 4OW0aGk8RqZVbQkw

WallerZero - 10/10/18 at 02:47 PM

I use black nitrile as it hides the dirt/oil so I can nip inside to grab car parts without being shouted at for dirty hands

steve m - 10/10/18 at 04:50 PM

Ive never got on with any form of gloves, so its bare hands for me! but I do keep a bottle of washing up liquid and a bowl of water, and wash my hands regularly, however, my garage towel is FILTHY, and should be binned

steve

mechanic - 10/10/18 at 05:58 PM

I use ATG Maxiflex Ultimate gloves. For general mechical work and TIG welding. The are quite durable and no sweaty hands. For oily and composite work I use thin skintight nitrile gloves.

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/maxiflex-ultimate-palm-coated-handling-gloves-42-874.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbd BRC0ARIsAKmec9ZYJB0qKb5DeW_tIeu9t5a8CRHYOLw_xfnkOWzAt9h-FEXVvMIT1ysaAh82EALw_wcB

[Edited on 10/10/18 by mechanic]

David Jenkins - 10/10/18 at 07:30 PM

My choice was forced on me - I eventually found out that I'm allergic to latex, and can't have it in contact with my skin for more than a short time, especially if I'm sweaty. So I have to use nitrile, but I have found that the blue ones seem more durable than the black ones (but that may be simply to do with the brand, rather than the colour!)

big-vee-twin - 10/10/18 at 07:45 PM

None

perksy - 10/10/18 at 07:54 PM

Nitrile 'fish scale' gloves off ebay

Getting dermatitis or a cut infected isn't fun

black fingernail - 10/10/18 at 08:02 PM

None, I only use any plastic gloves for fibreglass work, or heavy use of sikkaflex type adhesives (it will not come off !) .
I get these for free at the filling station, and dispose of carefully.
Man up !, stop using unnecessary single use plastic !
Unless you have a skin condition, of course.

jeffw - 10/10/18 at 08:22 PM

Use to use orange Nitrile gloves (Latex hates petrol/solvents) but I now use 0.5mm Mechanix gloves, way better.

jollygreengiant - 11/10/18 at 08:34 AM

First off, for those who are working on cars, a word of advice, ONE of the biggest killers of motor mechanics is TESTICULAR cancer and cancers of THAT area, I give you three guess's why. :O Secondly the amount of carcinogenics in modern oil(s) is frightening especially when dealing with diesel engines/diesel fuel and unleaded petrol.

For me these days it IS nitrile all the way.

russbost - 11/10/18 at 12:22 PM

Hi chaps & thanks for all the info

I already had some of the nitrile coated work gloves, which I was using as gardening gloves, for some reason never thought to use them in the workshop! Doh!

They are actually brilliant for what I'm doing at present which is largely cutting steel & welding

I hadn't thought about the addition to plastic waste with the disposable gloves, (something which is usually high on my list, I have a personal hatred of plastic bottles unless they are reused!) tho' I have to say I'd still be wearing them if I was working with oils etc on a regular basis, which I'm not

Does anyone else have the same problem that the sizes seem to come up very small? I have small hands, yet when I order medium gloves they are still too small & I frequently split one just putting them on, presumably powdered gloves slip on a bit easier?

rusty nuts - 11/10/18 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Does anyone else have the same problem that the sizes seem to come up very small? I have small hands, yet when I order medium gloves they are still too small & I frequently split one just putting them on, presumably powdered gloves slip on a bit easier?

Keep a small container of talc with your gloves and just a light dusting will help when putting your gloves on

loggyboy - 11/10/18 at 02:34 PM

I prefer Nitrile,
Best value i've found is GSF comfort fit in blue about £4-5 per 100 when using their regular weekend discounts. I stick with blues as whilst the thicker black versions tend to split less, but the extra cost means unless you are regularly working near sharp edges they arent worth it.
I prefer powdered as with sweaty hands they go one easier half way thru a job.

Bunje - 11/10/18 at 04:06 PM

i dont wear any if i can help it, but i always wear rozalex dri guard barrier cream. stops all the oil and grime getting in your skin. keep syour hands moisturised aswell helps prevent cracking and dry skin

ianhurley20 - 11/10/18 at 05:35 PM

My vote is for nitrile gloves. Vinyl gloves let a lot of nasties through. I am now alergic to epoxy which vinyl gloves give no protection at all from so its nitrile of any variety.
Have a look at
https://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/how-to-do-it/epoxy-a-warning/
for why I say this
Forgot to add - latex are the same as vinyl

[Edited on 12/10/18 by ianhurley20]

SJ - 11/10/18 at 07:10 PM

I have bought nitrile in the past but last time went for latex. For every 3 I successfully put on a hand I destroy 1 in the act. They really tear easily.

jollygreengiant - 12/10/18 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bunje
i dont wear any if i can help it, but i always wear rozalex dri guard barrier cream. stops all the oil and grime getting in your skin. keep syour hands moisturised aswell helps prevent cracking and dry skin

Yep that's good too, until you find yourself desperate for a wee, do you then take time to THOROUGHLY wash you hands FIRST. ! think about it. JMTP'sW

[Edited on 13/10/18 by jollygreengiant]

jester - 14/10/18 at 10:11 AM

I have been useing these for some time now. Work well with all the fiberglass resin work I have had to do to my car.

Not the cheapest mind

s_costy - 29/4/21 at 11:42 AM

None.

https://www.gardenergloves.co.uk/cutter-original-work-gloves-dry-water-repellent-100-leathercw300

coyoteboy - 29/4/21 at 12:17 PM

Can't handle rubber gloves of any type, just don't like wearing them and they break.
I use them only when I'm doing really wet work.
The rest of the time I use these - they let a little grime through but 90% protection. :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001VNZUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_D1PRRAZXE1MM1QS9NYAV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No gloves is not an option for me, it used to be but I eventually got contact dermatitis from oils and fluids. Then developed increasing problems from washing stuff.

Honestly, if you think you're impervious to it - don't, it builds up and eventually gets you.

s_costy - 29/4/21 at 12:27 PM

coyoteboy the Mechanix ones from your link are among the best gloves , but not cheap

Edwardo - 29/4/21 at 01:47 PM

Old thread - but I use Black Mamba nitrile gloves :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/it m/372776099140?var=641593111925&epid=1437829147&hash=item56cb2fdd44:g:Qv8AAOSwbOFdg0A5

Not cheap but seem a lot-lot more cut/tear resistant than the cheaper types.

johnH20 - 29/4/21 at 06:14 PM

Interesting thread Russ. I think there are at least two requirements 1) for nasties and 2) for subtle hand work ( small nuts in tight places ). For disposibles it is up to your personal skin and reaction to chemicals , for fine work with nuts and bolts it is down to the subltety of touch. I use Warrior gloves for the latter.

coyoteboy - 1/5/21 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by s_costy
coyoteboy the Mechanix ones from your link are among the best gloves , but not cheap

They pop up on amazon sales fairly frequently. However they don't cope with welding or grinding spray, without melting, so I've found out.