Board logo

microsoft edge
theconrodkid - 19/6/20 at 03:33 PM

Afternoon peeps, just turned on my compo and it seems microsoft have installed edge for me, so nice of them but they didnt ask if i wanted it,i am using firefox and quite happy with it, i dont have windoze 10 , mine is 8.5 i think.
so, could anyone explain in non tech terms, should i let edge out of it,s box or delete it and keep on with my faithfull firefox

steve m - 19/6/20 at 04:32 PM

Hi Conrod,

I use MS Edge all the time, and its pretty similar to MS Internt explore as have to as on WIN 10, and don't start me on that one!!

It seems to be fine, but for some applications Google Chrome performs better, but I don't like the layout of Chrome

What I don't understand is why these It boffins have to play about with the page layouts every now and then, if something works
LEAVE IT F*****G ALONE

Ive had my email account since tinternet started, and now and again. the whole format changes (for the worse) and it does my head in

steve

v8kid - 19/6/20 at 04:57 PM

I've just swapped from Chrome ('cos chrome was giving weird results requiring constant restarts) to Edge and finding it much more stable.

Having said that it's not something to get excited about

theconrodkid - 19/6/20 at 09:21 PM

so it,s six of one and half a dozen of the other ?, next q, if i install and dont like it, can i delete it and go back to firefox ?

SteveWalker - 19/6/20 at 10:05 PM

Parts of Edge may remain after removal (Explorer certainly does, as it is integrated into the operating system), but otherwise, yes you can "remove" it. No need to anyway though, as you could just mark Firefox as the default browser. For reasons of compatibility with specific sites and for personal preferences on myself, my wife and our children, Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox are all installed on this computer. BTW, the latest version of Edge now uses the Chromium Engine, which is the basis of Chrome.

Slimy38 - 19/6/20 at 10:57 PM

I started my computer, and not only had it installed itself, it had set itself to auto start and also cancelled all my file associations so it could put itself as the preferred application!! To say I'm peed off is an understatement.

I 'think' I've disabled all traces of it, but I'm not convinced.

nick205 - 20/6/20 at 07:39 AM

My work PC, home laptop, kids 1x laptop and another kids 1 x PC are all Windows 10. All Microsoft updates up to date and all running Firefox web browser. No Edge in sight here. I'm not a fan of having stuff pushed upon me or my computers so if it was installed without me being asked first I'd swap back to Firefox. Firefox works just fine for my family and I.

theconrodkid - 20/6/20 at 08:40 AM

thanks for the feedback peeps, duley deleted.