Board logo

Cycle wing removal help
ste - 20/3/19 at 09:26 AM

Best way to remove bonded on cycle wings that the previous owner bonded in wonky?

Thanks 😂

nick205 - 20/3/19 at 09:34 AM

A little warmth (SWMBOs hair dryer has done me well) to soften the donding and a decent paint scraper to gently open a gap.

Go slowly and gently to avoid damage and it isn't too difficult to do. Go at it too fast and you risk cracking the GRP.

jps - 20/3/19 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ste
Best way to remove bonded on cycle wings that the previous owner bonded in wonky?

Thanks 😂

If it's just been sikaflexed on the backside you could slide a thin wire (e.g. top 'E' guitar string) and use it like cheesewire to cut through?

If it's been fibreglassed in I would have thought a dremel with a little angle grinder disc would be a good bet?

ste - 20/3/19 at 09:37 AM

Just Sikaflexed on so I will give the cheese wire and warmth method a shot. Thanks again

gaz_gaz - 20/3/19 at 09:42 AM

If it's on with a PU adhesive such as tiger seal or sikaflex you'll need to get cheese wire in and cut through it then spend an age removing the residue. Heat won't help a great deal. I bonded some rear arch protectors on that moved while curing. what a nightmare removing them was.

westf27 - 20/3/19 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by ste

Thanks 😂

If it's just been sikaflexed on the backside you could slide a thin wire (e.g. top 'E' guitar string) and use it like cheesewire to cut through?

If it's been fibreglassed in I would have thought a dremel with a little angle grinder disc would be a good bet?

g string would be my choice

Slater - 21/3/19 at 01:03 PM

MIG wire garotte, use like a cheese wire as above.

Mr Whippy - 21/3/19 at 02:13 PM

Chainsaw.... will take mere seconds

jps - 21/3/19 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
MIG wire garotte, use like a cheese wire as above.

Good point - stiffer so easier to push through the sikaflex to get started if necessary

Slater - 21/3/19 at 06:28 PM

quote:

Chainsaw.... will take mere seconds

now that made me laugh.

steve m - 21/3/19 at 07:23 PM

Just leave them on the car, and do a few hundred miles, they will soon fall off,