Board logo

12 volt motor slow rpm for small project
John G - 11/12/20 at 03:03 PM

Looking to do some locost advertising for my chimney sweeping van. I intend to put a small fake chimney and pot on the roof (removable) I will be getting hold of a small manikin head and have it rotating out of the top of the pot. I need a 12 volt motor that will rotate at about 1/2 to 1 rpm. Any suggestions?
Regards, Jon

SteveWalker - 11/12/20 at 03:19 PM

How about https://tinyurl.com/yygxaz56

Benzine - 11/12/20 at 03:27 PM

A head sticking out a chimney spinning round like the exorcist? Sounds terrifying!

gremlin1234 - 11/12/20 at 03:33 PM

tilly's handmade extreme video may give you some ideas

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=217695

gremlin1234 - 11/12/20 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
A head sticking out a chimney spinning round like the exorcist? Sounds terrifying!

yea, I think I would just go for a rotating brush at some jaunty angle, but then also make it move up and down a bit...

02GF74 - 11/12/20 at 04:37 PM

Modify a wiper motor with intermittent wipe so head does not rotate?

Definitely post photos/video when you've done it.

John G - 11/12/20 at 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, just ordered a rear wiper motor £9 and small manikin head. Looking to put some red LED lights in the eyes. will post when sorted!

Mr Whippy - 11/12/20 at 07:10 PM

need pictures when done

At this time of year you could have Santa's legs sticking out. With a sign saying "Keep your chimney clean for Santa or he'll give you an orange!"

HowardB - 11/12/20 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John G
Thanks for the replies, just ordered a rear wiper motor £9 and small manikin head. Looking to put some red LED lights in the eyes. will post when sorted!

This could be my new fav thread!

John G - 11/12/20 at 09:00 PM

Great idea Mr Whippy, I will sort that for next year, I may even invest in a PA system and play Ice Cream Van music as I drive through the shopping centres!!

steve m - 11/12/20 at 10:07 PM

At this time of year surely a Father christmas is more fitting than basils brush ?

paulf - 11/12/20 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
need pictures when done

At this time of year you could have Santa's legs sticking out. With a sign saying "Keep your chimney clean for Santa or he'll give you an orange!"

Some years ago the engineering office at the factory i worked at was banished to a portacabin in the car park suppposedly temporarily but became a long term fixture.One christmas we made a cardboard chimney and decorated with tinsel then put a pair of boots sticking out of it and put it on the roof.
Nothing was said for a couple of days until the site manager noticed it and supposedly took a dim view of it and had it removed, it was then spotted on his garage roof at home.
Paul.

britishtrident - 13/12/20 at 07:22 PM

To control the speed use an adjustable PWM module ---- many suitable cheap ones on ebay