Board logo

R500 Momentary Switches (Like Savage)
Rob55 - 15/1/14 at 09:39 AM

I have purchased some switches from Caterham which are similar to Savage switches (APEM) but made by a different manufacturer (EAO). The switches are momentary and have arrived without contact blocks. Can anyone smarter than me have a look and tell me whether I need single pole or double pole contact blocks, and whether they should be normally open or normally closed, for the following functions:

1.Left Indicator
2.Right Indicator
3.Sides and Dip
4.Main Beam and Flash
5.Hazards
6.Rear Fog
7.Horn
8.Low Brake Fluid/Handbrake Warning
9.Radiator Fan
10.Engine Start

And the switches themselves:

Rob

loggyboy - 15/1/14 at 11:33 AM

If there is no cost option, go for the double pole as they will work the same but give more functionality should you wish to adapt them or add extra fucntions to them in the future.

Closed means on, open is off
So if you want to push them to turn something on, you want normally open.

For some of those switches you will likely want latching mechanisms unless you plan on using latching relays etc for hazard switches, headlights etc.

The only momentary ones you want is start, flash, horn, fluid warning test.

jwhatley - 15/1/14 at 12:31 PM

Forgive my ignorance here, is it a lot cheaper doing it this way?

But would it not have been easier to buy them compete from here: http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/electrical-black-billet-aluminium-switches

1.Left Indicator - Not sure, depends on how your car is wired up, but i would think double pole latching
2.Right Indicator - Not sure, depends on how your car is wired up, but i would think double pole latching
3.Sides and Dip - Single Pole Latching
4.Main Beam and Flash - Double Pole Latching
5.Hazards - Double Pole Latching
6.Rear Fog - Single Pole Latching
7.Horn - Single Pole Momentary
8.Low Brake Fluid/Handbrake Warning - Single Pole Momentary
9.Radiator Fan - Single Pole Latching
10.Engine Start - Single Pole Momentary

The switches on CBS are all normally closed switches. This is the other way round to what has been just said and how it should work. You want to press to activate.

[Edited on 15/1/14 by jwhatley]

[Edited on 15/1/14 by jwhatley]

Davey D - 15/1/14 at 12:51 PM

Even those switches from CBS are more expensive than you need to pay.

They are all £18.00 + vat, where if you shop around you can get savage switches for around £15 inc vat

Rob55 - 15/1/14 at 03:41 PM

There is no latching version for these switches they are all momentary, will this be a major headache?

snowy2 - 15/1/14 at 05:06 PM

Nope...just use a latching relay.

Rob55 - 15/1/14 at 10:09 PM

Ok great. As for cost, no I would say this is not the cheapest route but those CBS switches are completely different looking and I really like the R500 dash..

Edit: Just ordered 4 double and 6 single pole switch blocks. For anyone else interested, RS Components were cheapest for the double pole and Caterham themselves were cheapest for the single pole.

[Edited on 15/1/14 by Rob55]

ctwv50 - 10/9/14 at 06:21 PM

I've bought the duratec switches, again these are momentary switches using single pole apem blocks. Anyone know of a car manufacturer latch relay I can use with these that are cheaper than new durite latch relays which are £22 each?

ctwv50 - 12/9/14 at 07:50 PM

Bought some APEM A0109X switches, the latched version of the cater ham switches, slightly modified and they work fine. Only £6.50 off ebay. Still a bloody expensive switch costing around £35 each! Good job I only needed two!

johnny chimpo - 23/1/23 at 06:44 PM

Dragging up a really old post, but dont suppose anyone knows what contact blocks are needed for the caterham switches?

From the original poster there were several different part numbers and I can see that he went for 4 double poll and 6 single poll to suit his needs, but which version of each would that be?

61.8420.22 for the double poll and 61.8410.22 for the single poll?