Board logo

Just back from the Rolling Road
FASTdan - 16/5/09 at 07:48 PM

Today we took a 2 hour drive up to bogg brothers in north yorkshire for a dyno session.

Firstly, what a fantastic bloke!! I've been to a few RR's before and mostly left disappointed by the experience. However Mr Bogg snr (didnt get his first name) is spot on and really knows his tuning - it was like he was doing it for the love of it rather than the money. Not only that but he was totally willing to share his knowledge.

Anyway, onto the result, 110 wheel bhp@5800rpm. This was after tuning which included boring the 30mm chokes out to 35mm and tinkering with various jets/emulsions/air correctors.

Engine is a standard injection headed pinto on dellorto 40's. We were pretty chuffed with that

jacko - 16/5/09 at 07:57 PM

Mr Boggs name is Dave and a very nice man

goaty - 16/5/09 at 08:04 PM

any other work done to the engine??
looks a good result

t16turbotone - 16/5/09 at 08:23 PM

keep hearing great reports about bogg brothers, do they just tune bike engines? megasquirt?? anyone know?

mr henderson - 16/5/09 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
keep hearing great reports about bogg brothers, do they just tune bike engines? megasquirt?? anyone know?

http://www.boggbros.co.uk/

John

mediabloke - 16/5/09 at 08:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I was tempted to pick a more local RR to get my bike carbs/megajolt setup tuned, mainly because it's a 2+ hour drive from Bury... But comments from yourself & Steve (Coozer) have me convinced.

How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers - Francis

RichardK - 16/5/09 at 08:52 PM

You'll need to take your laptop to fiddle with Megajolt, David is a superb guy and really know his stuff on cecs and bike carbs. Think I paid £80 a while back.

Dan is that a 1.6 or 2l matey?

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 16/5/09 by RichardK]

NS Dev - 17/5/09 at 06:49 AM

making 110 @ wheels its a 2.0!

RichardK - 17/5/09 at 08:53 AM

Just thought I'd ask as my 1.6 is doing 100bhp again at boggs's

Cheers

Rich

FASTdan - 17/5/09 at 09:05 AM

Dave will be right at home with your bike carbs mediabloke - as much as he likes the old carbs he raves about the bike carbs and is well experienced with them, as his son does the conversions and he sets them up.

Bogg's is well worth the drive - £90 for a session over 2hrs long including boring chokes out, exchange jets etc. I've paid £70+ for bang on 1 hour (not a moment longer!) at other places for less work and less info.

The workshop is crammed full of interesting cars too - all of which they love telling you about, a proper petrol heads paradise.

Its a 2.0 pinto, not much else done aside from port matching on the manifolds. Running 40deg advance (8deg static) which is a bit more than the norm (34) but dave didnt seem concerned. He recommended reprofiling the cam (autosprint) as a cheap next step if we were sticking with the pinto.

[Edited on 17/5/09 by FASTdan]

[Edited on 17/5/09 by FASTdan]

Hellfire - 17/5/09 at 10:22 AM

With a read up like that - makes you kind a want to keep going back... well, if finances allow!

Steve

FASTdan - 17/5/09 at 10:50 AM

yeah I dont think I'd bother going anywhere else.

Dave will also take great pleasure in showing you his recovery truck (1970s Ford).........with a 3.0V6 on holley carbs .

David Jenkins - 17/5/09 at 10:59 AM

I wish that they weren't so far away - 230 miles, or 4.5 hours driving mostly on the A14 and A1. Not a great experience in a Locost!

It would really be a 2-day trip, and very dependent on the weather.