Board logo

Clutch adjustment MT75
axle - 14/7/18 at 07:00 PM

Hi all
Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong here.
I fitted the matching engine DOHC 8V & MT 75 box from the donner car to my 7 with a new clutch kit.
I did not have the cable adjustment tight (biting point has been at top ) . I have only done 3000 miles the clutch is slipping any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

daviep - 14/7/18 at 08:07 PM

Can you feel if there is slack in the cable when the clutch is not pressed?
Can you loosen the cable adjustment and see if that improves it?
Even remove the cable completely to see if the clutch still slips, this would show whether you have a problem with cable or a fundamental problem with the clutch.

Cheers
Davie

axle - 15/7/18 at 08:27 AM

Hi Davie
Thanks for the replay
Yes the cable is slack when the clutch is not pressed. I can not get it anymore slack than this!
If I remove the cable how do I test to see if the clutch is slipping?

daviep - 15/7/18 at 10:19 AM

If the cable is slack can you also feel slack on the release fork? If so then it would seem that you have a clutch problem.

Probably not required if you are confident the cable is slack, but to drive without the clutch cable connected put the car in 1st gear before you start the engine, then start the engine, now if you are gentle and use a bit of throttle blipping you will be able to change gear without the clutch, going up the box is easy going down is trickier. Make sure you have a bit of space to get started as it feels very un natural.

Cheers
Davie

loggyboy - 15/7/18 at 10:32 AM

Could be the wrong release bearing? Might be to deep and not allowing the clutch to fully disengage.

axle - 15/7/18 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for your replies

Could this be the common problem with MT75 box I bought the clutch kit from the same supplier (LUK I think) so they are matching?
Could you please tell me how do I know if I have the correct release bearing or not?

fregis - 16/7/18 at 08:46 AM

Few years ago i had quite long night before race, than in night remove dohc awd sierra mt75 gearbox 3 times because clucth slips. In the end found two versions different hight pressure plates and different depth flywheel.
Than putting new clutch, need check pressure plate position
and check angle of cluch bearing lever, need be about parallel to cluch, engine

[Edited on 16/7/18 by fregis]

axle - 16/7/18 at 11:02 AM

Thanks a million Fergis, it is making sense
Does this mean I could have the wrong clutch ?

Greeting from Scotland

[Edited on 17/7/18 by axle]

fregis - 18/7/18 at 08:56 AM

i not guarantee 100%, but that me experience.
But cataloge show several version flywheel
https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/96/no/1/1503/15025/65170/#1

axle - 18/7/18 at 08:58 PM

cheers & many thanks