Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Build
robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 7/5/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Build

i'm just in the process, of starting the build on my chassis!!..... Can anybody suggest a decent Mig welder to buy, and also a supplier of the necessary steel needed........ Thanks
austin man

posted on 7/5/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy chasis packs all pre cut to the book dimensions.Clarke 150 0r 180 welder dont go gasless

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 7/5/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
......Is that for the "first" book, by Ron Champion?.......and do you reckon the Clarke mig welders, would be something suitable for a novice welder?
phelpsa

posted on 7/5/10 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55
......Is that for the "first" book, by Ron Champion?.......and do you reckon the Clarke mig welders, would be something suitable for a novice welder?

I learned using my Clarke 151TE I had 2nd hand from my uncle. 7 years later it's still going strong as ever!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 8/5/10 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote

I learned using my Clarke 151TE I had 2nd hand from my uncle. 7 years later it's still going strong as ever!

Behold a miracle, everything I have personally bought made by Clarkes has been complete rubbish.

[Edited on 8/5/10 by LBMEFM]

handyandy

posted on 8/5/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Chassis kits are available for both the Ron Champion or Chris Gibbs chassis,
the Ron Champion chassis is "live axled" & the Chris Gibbs chassis has full independant suspension using the sierra as a donor, its also 2 inches wider & 4 inches longer than the original, its known as the Haynes Roadster.

hope that helps.

cheers
andy

speedyxjs

posted on 8/5/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM

Behold a miracle, everything I have personally bought made by Clarkes has been complete rubbish.

Id second the 151TE. Never had any problems in 3 1/2 years.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 8/5/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
150A or above will do the trick nicely.

Just one thing- if you're a novice welder I hope you're prepared to do lots of practising before welding up your chassis! It's not the kind of thing you want to do badly..... And whatever you do, weld you wishbones last (you'll be quite good by then ).

phelpsa

posted on 8/5/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM

I've never heard a bad word spoken about the larger Clarke migs, some of the smaller ones are rebadged chinese ones though I believe.

The only bad thing about Clarke is spares availability, my local welding supplies place has given up on them as they just can't get parts! Ask for anything and its 'currently on back order'

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Clarke 105EN about twelve years ago, and passed it onto my brother when I was given a (very second hand!) 150A Clarke MIG by my grandad. Both welders are still going strong.

I did a euro torch conversion on mine recently, and also added a super heavy duty earth cable and clamp which has greatly improved it.

skinned knuckles

posted on 8/5/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
clarke are the best for learners.

fill in your profile so that we know where you are. that way someone may be willing to pop round and point you in the right direction/give free tutorial.

also may be able to recommend someone who does cheap steel in your area.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 9/5/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody for the helpful replies....Fully intend to get lots of practise, before doing the "real thing", and I think I'm going to get all the suspension parts professionally welded- for safety reasons!. Was considering, enrolling on a practical college course, to try to gain a real skill in welding!. Is the euro torch conversion, the way to go with Clarke welders, or is that just a "personal preference thing"..... also have updated profile!. what other "Makes" of welders, have you others got?.... and have you got any more feedback..... Thanks again.
prawnabie

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Handyandy is the man for the steel!
handyandy

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Handyandy is the man for the steel!

Thankyou,
I try not to "force feed " the kits i supply as don,t wish to bore folk or go against the forum rules of trader status etc.
was nice to meet you at stoneleigh, and your car, very smart indeed.

cheers
andy

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks everybody for the helpful replies....Fully intend to get lots of practise, before doing the "real thing", and I think I'm going to get all the suspension parts professionally welded- for safety reasons!. Was considering, enrolling on a practical college course, to try to gain a real skill in welding!. Is the euro torch conversion, the way to go with Clarke welders, or is that just a "personal preference thing"..... also have updated profile!. what other "Makes" of welders, have you others got?.... and have you got any more feedback..... Thanks again.

This kind of post crops up more often than I think it should on a website of this calibre (and SEARCH capability)

If you are going to get the bones welded up professionally then thats fine. Personally I think I'd rather have a wheel hit the deck and some loss of steering ability rather than the chassis snap in half on a tight bend...

Either become a competent welder from the start (will take you longer than you think) or buy a chassis.

One route will teach you a skill and leave you with a never impending doubt of the chassis ending yours and others lives. The other will have you on the build process and on the road in 1/10th the time.....

eddie99

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:

This kind of post crops up more often than I think it should on a website of this calibre (and SEARCH capability)

If you are going to get the bones welded up professionally then thats fine. Personally I think I'd rather have a wheel hit the deck and some loss of steering ability rather than the chassis snap in half on a tight bend...

Either become a competent welder from the start (will take you longer than you think) or buy a chassis.

One route will teach you a skill and leave you with a never impending doubt of the chassis ending yours and others lives. The other will have you on the build process and on the road in 1/10th the time.....

Well said Steve, +1!!!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:

Steve.... not sure that I fully understand what you are saying.... when you say " this type of post".... the point I was making was..... as I'm sure most builders would agree (both new and old!) is, that it is far better to gain a certain amount of competence, in basic welding skills,before starting any project, that could impact on anyones safety!.Personally I'd rather not have "a wheel hit the deck",especially, if I was on a bend in the road doing 50mph......with pedestrians near-by!!. I fully intend to make my own chassis, as i'm sure you'll agree, this is a major part of the car build.......I've no doubt, there's no way, I'll be a "competent welder from the start"........I expect to make loads and loads of mistakes, before, being able, to do even an half decent weld!!....... so to end... I'd rather take 10 times longer, to complete the build.... enjoy it..... but build it with a confidence, that I've done it right!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.