Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corsa 1.2 SXI
karlak

posted on 27/8/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Corsa 1.2 SXI

Anyone had a Corsa 1.2 SXi ?

We found one that is quite new on an 06 plate and just over 50k miles. Service history was good up to 36K in 2010 but it seems to have lapsed since then. It is a bit rattly on startup which I understand can happen with these and the oil really could do with change asap. I am reading some people change the oil in these every 5k miles due to narrow oil ways ???

Not sure what to do, whether to do the oil / filter myself or get it down a garage for a oil service - around £60, this will then get a stamp in the book and resume the history somewhat. Whether this would help with future value or not is debatable I guess.

The car also has some Irmscher bits fitted which I am not too sure about, especially as it will be for my Lad when he 17. Bit "race-me" perhaps. Got some paintwork scratches and dinks, but figured it may get a few more . The price was good, so should all work out OK.. I guess the Irmscher bits can be swapped out for standard parts easily.

What I have realised over the past couple of weeks. Photos of 2nd hand cars tell you absolutely nothing about the car in reality. Also,, some peoples estimate on the value of their car is fanciful to say the least. Oh,,, 2nd hand car dealer

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Peteff

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
My daughter bought a Y reg cat C one about 4 years ago and apart from an accident she had in it the car has been good. The oil change might fix the rattle (hydraulic tappets) it does on hers but if it's been neglected often it may be the cam chain and tensioners.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

karlak

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete,

Yep, I had read that the chain and tensioners can become a problem. The oil that is in it really does look crappy, so that is definite priority. The see how we go from there.

cheers

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Change the oil regularly and only use fully synthetic 5w/30 and give it a can of Wynns Hydraulic Lifter treatment, take cam cove off and have a look, check all retaining bolts for the tensioner for tightness.

However Irmscher bits on a 1.2 Corsa raise would raise significant concerns for me as it would indicated it was driven by a boy racer who revved the arse off it and gave the clutch and gearbox a hard time. If it were me I would steer well clear.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Peteff

posted on 27/8/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Irmscher bits on a 1.2 Corsa raise would raise significant concerns for me as it would indicated it was driven by a boy racer who revved the arse off it and gave the clutch and gearbox a hard time. If it were me I would steer well clear.

We fitted an Irmscher splitter to daughter's car, I think if they have put a bit of time and effort into the car they are more likely to have looked after it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

karlak

posted on 27/8/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well we bought it yesterday evening anyway.

It looks to have been looked after very well especially earlier in its life. The last 3 years it has belonged to a lad at University, the outside is a bit rough, mostly car dinks etc, but a bloody good wash and dry today has made a heck of a difference.

The engine does rattle when started from cold for a few seconds then quietens down, but then after being driven for a while it will begin rattling at idle again, rev it a little and it is fine. Pretty sure it is the old oil and reading up it seems it is the engine's Achilles heel. Oil is being changed tomorrow and then I will change it again in a 1000 miles or so, just to make sure it is all clean.

Think we got it for a steal though at the price we paid, so am happy to throw a bit of money at it

Mr C

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Irmscher bits on a 1.2 Corsa raise would raise significant concerns for me as it would indicated it was driven by a boy racer who revved the arse off it and gave the clutch and gearbox a hard time. If it were me I would steer well clear.

We fitted an Irmscher splitter to daughter's car, I think if they have put a bit of time and effort into the car they are more likely to have looked after it.

Some of the less sporty vauxhall models, came with a few Irmscher bits and a bit of colour coding as standard to give it a more sporty look as well as some more showroom appeal, I wouldn't be too bothered about manufacterer approved Irmscher parts, more the overall condition of the car.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

karlak

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the rattling is the timing chain.

Apparently, it is very common on these engines. So.... Garages want the thick end of £500 and some more, to change the timing chain and sprockets.

Think I will do it myself with a Haynes manual.. My question is really concerning the kit. Vauxhalls Kit is much more money than some aftermarket kits. Can there really be much difference between GM and OEM stuff ? Both of them have a 1 year warranty anyway.

Anyone done a 1.2 twinport Corsa engine ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.