Author: Subject: progress at last
garyt

posted on 23/11/14 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 23/11/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
it will look neater once I get the exhaust manifold wrapped, but happy moving forward a wee bit at a time
Gary

dubzter

posted on 23/11/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
looking good indeed, so is your SC mounted under the exhaust manifold? the mx5 installs I've see all seem to be mounted at the level of the rocker cover.
garyt

posted on 23/11/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
yes it is down under the manifold on the mx5 they mount it over the exhaust manifold, where they have room to do it, If following this route a large clearance hole would be required in the bonnet ( there is an example on a locost usa site ). They also have heat exchange issues despite wrapping the manifold and using reflective sheet between the two, being mounted lower just above the chassis rails means that I have more air space between the heat source and the s/c body it does mean that you have to be quite creative with the pipe work and redesign the ex manifold. The intercooler is vw Passat and lined up with the t/b nicely also just cleared under the nose, re. airflow through the intercooler, the airflow through the rad and fan should give negative pressure behind the I/c (also will "dam" the edges) so should work ok as with most things room is at a premium... so there are always compromises to be made.
With the airflow meter being at the rear of the engine I will retrace the wires back shorten and rewrap, the air temp sensor will now live on the I/c outlet giving the most accurate reading again the wires will be retraced shortened to keep it all tidy.
The radiator return will need some thought as to its new route and I turned the front rad outlet to point to the nearside thus giving a neater run to the rad top hose.
Next problem is where and how to plumb the header, as the scuttle area is getting full with battery, heater etc living there.
It is a challenge but hey if it was easy ............
gary

garyt

posted on 15/3/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
ok so the weathers warming nicely , days are stretching, suns out and trina is away for a few weeks visiting family , soooo put some paint on and hopefully get a bit of a push these next few weeks .
and no that's not the new exhaust position

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 15/3/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
another pic

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 28/3/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
well absolutely frozen but happy messed about finishing the manifold and got some alterations to the wiring (but nae finished that one yet...) firewall made battery in a tempory earth , connected the instruments turned the key and ............ nothing.
went over and over it, had coffee and more coffee. so went and rechecked it all and found 1 connecter off the back of the main fuse block, took it off to put through the firewall. reconnected it and the battery ..... BINGO lights on the dash and engine turns over. so T time. with a big smile
so hopefully tomorrow will run some tempory wiring to the pump and add a couple gallons of petrol and see if we can get fuel pressure and if so we will go for a start up

garyt

posted on 29/3/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
ok so after working out ive fuel engine cranking but nothing else panicking that its an ammobiliser fault , I found 2 wires that should be connected so joined them and away she went a splutter and died an adjustment on the throttle cable to the 2nd tb and she is running.
absolutely awesome to hear it now I need to finish the cooling system and tidy all the tempory wiring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZkL9IioRExQ
if this link disnae work go to you tube and enter "its alive Haynes first start up "
very very happy

big_wasa

posted on 29/3/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I love the sound
dubzter

posted on 29/3/15 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
ok so after working out ive fuel engine cranking but nothing else panicking that its an ammobiliser fault , I found 2 wires that should be connected so joined them and away she went a splutter and died an adjustment on the throttle cable to the 2nd tb and she is running.
absolutely awesome to hear it now I need to finish the cooling system and tidy all the tempory wiring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZkL9IioRExQ
if this link disnae work go to you tube and enter "its alive Haynes first start up "
very very happy

Sounds awesome, I really must come a visit some time

Locost Builders Build Thread

garyt

posted on 5/4/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
well spent the day doing wiring and headlights up front , been busy most all day but not a lot to see.
just need to figure out mazdas headlight wiring now.
day off tomorrow so hope to get the rear lights wired up and headlights working got side and flash but dip/main are awol somewhere.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 11/4/15 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
HA HA lights working thought I was going crazy , I mean how hard can 4 wires be.................. eventually discovered I had stalks that were wired differently oh the joy and that mx5 stalk changes the earth not the feed any way got side dip main n flash now so happy.. and result got a pair of westy leather seats n runners for a bargin £, so these should be here end of the week so onto the indicators next...... wonder what lies ahead there lol
garyt

posted on 11/4/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
just looking back next weekend is a year since I started ,, how time flies when your having fun
garyt

posted on 2/5/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
had a good day , got the roll bar done and seats in , they will have to come out but couldn't resist putting them in, leather westie seats

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 2/5/15 by garyt]

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

garyt

posted on 16/5/15 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

well we had sun, rain, sun, hailstones and sun today, but got my wing stays made up and attached fixed the wings on with tiger seal and will glass over this once dry, wasn't happy with my rad mounts so going to redo them tomorrow and hopefully some wiring
used 30 x 6 ms so hopefully shouldn't flex... too much picked up on the top and bottom ball joints and on the top caliper bolt... so we will see.
Gary

garyt

posted on 16/5/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
excuse the mess....

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 23/5/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
got rad mounts redone and fan wired up , got the front wing stays made, painted, fitted ran the engine up properly to working temps, a small drip from a hose joint, tightened, and then discovered I had a rather large hairdryer the fan was blowing not sucking, swapped wires round temps were centre of the gauge , happy and I love that supercharger noise next some more wiring, got some rdx switches today need to get their flasher unit as it lets you mix n match bulbs/leds , ran out of connectors so will nip into town tomorrow , hopefully try and get the wiring tidied in the next week or so. and do some work on the dash/ trim.
Ordered a westie wide screen , so when it arrives will report back on any mods / fit etc, got a pair of uprights/ mirrors as well.
Gary

prawnabie

posted on 23/5/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Nice build - are you using ms pnp?
garyt

posted on 23/5/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Probably will do once completed ive got it running but will need to get it set up mapped properly once finished may piggy back for now. Tbh spending money on everything else just now lol so will way up the benefits later

[Edited on 23/5/15 by garyt]

dubzter

posted on 5/6/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Gary did your donor come with an OBD port? If so are you intending on keeping it?

garyt

posted on 5/6/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Yes it had one on the loom most of it is cut out now down to 6 wires, shortened those as far as possible I've left the plug for now... the donor switches were proving a pain to use that's the problem of not having 1 donor, so bought new rdx ones got those wired in, I resorted to cutting most of the wires out and then wiring in new circuits for what I needed !!!! so at least i'm moving forward with the wiring, got all the wires down the tunnel tidied , taped and fastened, finished the rear tub area wiring the same, incidentally I used the rdx relay which sees normal and led bulbs so don't need ballast resistors ( so got 4 new ones if anyone wants them ) .
still waiting for my screen so, went and got some thin sheet and lined the inside of the outside if that makes sense trimmed it with some maroon leathercloth and some rubber matting , pass side done so tomorrow will do the drivers side and rear panel behind the seats, ordered some harness so waiting on them aswell
How are you getting on?
Gary

dubzter

posted on 5/6/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
Hi Yes it had one on the loom most of it is cut out now down to 6 wires, shortened those as far as possible I've left the plug for now... the donor switches were proving a pain to use that's the problem of not having 1 donor, so bought new rdx ones got those wired in, I resorted to cutting most of the wires out and then wiring in new circuits for what I needed !!!! so at least i'm moving forward with the wiring, got all the wires down the tunnel tidied , taped and fastened, finished the rear tub area wiring the same, incidentally I used the rdx relay which sees normal and led bulbs so don't need ballast resistors ( so got 4 new ones if anyone wants them ) .
still waiting for my screen so, went and got some thin sheet and lined the inside of the outside if that makes sense trimmed it with some maroon leathercloth and some rubber matting , pass side done so tomorrow will do the drivers side and rear panel behind the seats, ordered some harness so waiting on them aswell
How are you getting on?
Gary

Sounds like you are making good progress.

I'm ashamed to say that I have done next to f-all. With the arrival of daughter number 2 it all went a bit pear shaped. at 10 weeks old she still isn't settling in the evenings so I'm not getting out to the garage. Fingers crossed that settles soon and I can make a start.

garyt

posted on 5/6/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
nothing to be ashamed of family comes first , the weathers just warming nicely so plenty of time to get on
Yes Im making some headway, the wiring had me in knots at times, really need to get the screen so that I can get on there.
by the way for future reference if doing a screen and wipers an mgb '72 - 73 wiper motor has the flexi drive and with an extra earth lead attached and the clip cut off the mx5 plug, it is plug n play so 2 speed intermittent and wash wipe .
72 british to 03 Japanese I was impressed just need to find a gap for the washer bottle.... oh the challenges
Hope the family settles soon , I'm sure she will.

garyt

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi , I made these "arm rests" to finish off the top edge of the sides. I used some U aluminium section, a length of pipe insulation cut in half lengthways, and some leathercloth to match the trimming .
Quite pleased with how it turned out and finishes off the edge nicely

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 9/6/15 by garyt]

garyt

posted on 14/6/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
so its warm and sunny so went out and got some more wiring done all switches in. and the symbols light up when lights are on but no instrument lights grrrrrrr... afte much faffing about they will only work when the dimmer switch is connected, then I had dim instruments and bright switches or vice versa so swap a couple of wires ... sorted padded and trimmed the tunnel top just need to add gaiters to finish then i'll post a pic.
Trina decided that as it was nice she would come and help...... although her idea of help was to try it for size, sit in it have her photo taken, make some supportive noises and then go make tea..... still she doesn't complain when I disappear for hours or when boxes arrive

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 14/6/15 by garyt]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 14/6/15 by garyt]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.