Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: progress at last
garyt

posted on 21/2/16 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
ok so ticked a few more wee jobs off today ...... made version 3 of the remote brake fluid reservoir, I used a focus reservoir, got a plug mmmm 3 wires, still its only a float switch, haha no matter what I did I could not perm the 3 wires to the mazda 2 wires and get the fluid level warning working ... So after much mucking about made an ally bracket to take the big round mx5 reservoir positioned it and reconnect pipes, handbrake off ... light on fill up with fluid ... light off handbrake on .... light on happy bunny so trimmed the requisite fluid sticker to size and put it on the reservoir cap. SORTED at last.
moral don't mix manufacturers !!!!! started hailstone and rain so came in . Next is to disconnect the neutral switch and sort out the twin T/Bs
anyone need a focus reservoir let me know

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

garyt

posted on 22/2/16 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
so went out and started attacking the 2 throttle bodies no matter what I did It still wasn't right, searched about compressor surge causing problems, so checked the bypass was working... yes popping open n shut like a good un,
Then the old fella next door came out to see if I needed a hand... he couldn't and didn't want to attempt to slide into the drivers seat and asked if it was ok to work the throttle by twisting the linkage, and guess what no running on a steady idle, clean pick up and drop back, now whats the problem ????

a badly routed throttle cable from the pedal was causing enough friction that the linkage was dragging so iffy pick up and not returning cleanly.

so re did the cable checking the pedal was free and the cable was free and guess what its all behaving from the drivers seat and by twiddlingt linkage
MUPPET

still at least that's all done now and ordered a Db meter to see where I am on noise mmmmm

garyt

posted on 24/2/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
email from vosa confirming receipt of application and giving a reference #

garyt

posted on 25/2/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
just in from work to find an envelope with all my receipt copies, but no build photos returned, checked emails to find " your application has been accepted, please pay" so will get them paid first thing in the morning , I guess they open at 9am?
panic, relief , excitement

garyt

posted on 26/2/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
well a very nice lady relieved me of £450 today , so iva paid for , then got an email that it is now sent to TaSS (testing and support services) for processing

garyt

posted on 27/2/16 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
just back from the garage and it passed the emmissions BET test, headlights NOW correctly set and was reading 95Db at 3000 revs, but that needs to be checked at 4000 my fault as I trusted my memory (must be an age thing) so will do that again later on.
On another positive after sorting my sticky throttle cable it is so much easier to drive, 2.4 rack + supercharger power delivery certainly makes her a sprightly little beast
so a spring in my step today.....

garyt

posted on 28/2/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
well put nut covers on today, trimmed a couple of edges that I found on the bottom of the headlight bracket, secured the heater/ header hoses onto the bulkhead sorted the radius on the trip button, was really worried about the viewing angles of my small front indicators so took them off and ordered a pair of '70's style chrome bulgy ones for the test so it should be ok on the 20 deg side view. ordered a new rad fan as mine looked untidy. and reset the rear brake adjusters now the handbrake holds like a good un.
So still to do; trim under dash in footwells, fit a new reverse switch as its playing up, pad steering wheel center, keep going over bits and pieces, found out I needed 2 odd size nut covers for the exhaust bracket so ordered them.
Does any one know the thread size of mx5 tre's as I have castellated nuts and would rather nylocs

garyt

posted on 29/2/16 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
more updates from vosa;
application released for inspection and successfully assessed.
then this one;
Your recent application has now been processed by DVSA Testing and Support Services (TaSS). If you have notified us of a preferred appointment time and date you will receive an appointment letter via email once the DVSA Testing Station has allocated your appointment. However, if you wish to speak to DVSA regarding the scheduling of your appointment please allow 3 days from the receipt of this email prior to ringing us on 0300 123 9000.

guess what I'm doing in 3 days time

garyt

posted on 1/3/16 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
missed a phone call from a private number because I was driving into Aberdeen, turns out it was the test center admin trying to arrange my date in Aberdeen, lol
got a really polite email explaining and asking me to call them to arrange, even gave me a direct call number, so will get that sorted tommorow

garyt

posted on 2/3/16 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
got a date today when I spoke to the lady at aberdeen, 24th March at 8am , she said it has to be full of petrol and bring a wee tool kit in case there is anything minor that can be sorted, she also said to allow around 5 hours for the test.

she is going to send a confirmation email with all the details

Really nervous now

HowardB

posted on 2/3/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
good luck,...

I shall look out for the "passed" message

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

garyt

posted on 5/3/16 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Howard, I'm getting very anal with looking for sharp edges and checking and rechecking, Replaced the reverse light switch, what a pig of a job absolutely no room to get big hands up the side of the gearbox, still its done and reverse light is working now, trimmed the bottom edge of the headlight feet as they had a sharp edge, so marked the pattern on a wheelie bin trimmed them and reset them so should be ok, Bit of a grumph after getting the lights set last weekend at the garage, still they are trimmed now, harness bolts are m14 and you guessed it I had every nut cover except that so some m13 ones went for a swim in a cup of boiling water for a few mins , made them supple enough to go on ran out of split tubing so will get some this week to wrap the front indicator wires and secure them.
so to do apart from the front ind wires, trim footwells and keep checking

[Edited on 5/3/16 by garyt]

JSArmstrong

posted on 6/3/16 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
All the best, hope it goes well!
jeffw

posted on 6/3/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
ok after a bit of research it IS meant to read -10 at idle and 0 before start up !!!! so I guess I will put a few revs on and see what it reads as they rise.
I was confused by it reading 0 when I turned the key on and then it going to -10 on start up, still don't understand why but we will see, so ignore the previous question

With the engine off the gauge will see atmospheric pressure, some read this as 1 bar and some will show as 0 depending if they are designed to show absolute pressure or pressure minus atmospheric.

With the engine idle it will be producing a vacuum on the intake, hence the -10psi figure. Once the engine is off idle it will go to 0 and then positive as you get the boost from the supercharger.

garyt

posted on 6/3/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks JS and thanks Jeff , after trying different things I had come to the conclusion that it was reading right just couldn't and didn't understand why so thanks for explaining it, what I can tell you is she is plenty quick when you give it some stick and I love that s/c noise haha I guess that's the big kid in me...... My brother came up and asked to see it running after the concern about what's that noise? it grew on him too ....lol
forced induction IS dangerous ................ because its infectious

garyt

posted on 13/3/16 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
well it shows what a pair of fresh eyes does, the car sits on a slight slope side to side, my friend came round to see how things were going and he asked if I wouldn't be better with some neg camber so after we discussed and eventually moved her on to the flat yes she had pos camber no wonder she was twitchy anyway he nipped home and came back with a gauge so we put 2 deg NEG camber on her castor is as per the book by design so hopefully the self centering will be fine, also found a couple of bolts that needed torqueing up, and a couple more tie wraps put on, and we adjusted the float on the sender unit so quite a productive day, need to put an earth wire from the sender unit screw to the chassis but hadn't any ring fittings the right size so will get them on the way home tomorrow.
It shows that you need to keep going over and over and that a pair of fresh eyes will see something that you have grown accustomed to.
11 SLEEPS TO GO (10 really cos I wont sleep the night before lol )

garyt

posted on 20/3/16 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
well as far as I can see that's me ready ... :0
earth wire from sender to chassis a couple of nut covers on the rear tub bolt heads (stuck on ) replaced the grip tape on the clutch pedal.
she is full of petrol and gauge reading full, insurance all paid and in effect from Wednesday, toolbox packed with tools and bits and pieces.
All paperwork printed off (iva and insurance) and in the laptop bag with all the receipts, and "drive cam" charged ready for the drive home (have to read the setup destructions yet lol)
All I can do now is wait...... 4 sleep (less) nights to go .....

garyt

posted on 24/3/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
HAHA sorry to keep you all in suspense its a ......... PASS

Left early doors this morning, drizzle and cold, add in a quick rack and she was a wee bit twitchy, had a steady drive through to Aberdeen, topped up with petrol and then mcd's for some much needed coffee, ready to head over to the test center and met up with Campbell. we arrived at the center and went in against their one way system, oops....

went in to reception and was met by the tester who really wanted the car to pass and even helped a bit later on.

So we got called over to the test bay and emmissions first mx5 2003 1.8 supercharged, failed the BET test on rich idle so on to CAT1 test and passed, next noise, (he later found the wire wool packing amongst the tools and said worried were you? ) so as it was raining he opted to try inside first , fail, put the car outside and passed (scraped). then he did the lights, exterior / interior projections, all the time explaining, you could tell he was really interested , onto the brake tests fronts great, rears great, handbrake the cable pulled through so as I tried to refix he carried on with the other checks , One flexi was just touching and the headlights needed a wee adjust, Thanks Campbell for sorting these out with the handbrake cable back together there was an imbalance, we will come back to that, so speedo check and

its spot on, so don't rely on 10%, he then took it away to do the self centering, and came back and asked if there was any way we could sort the handbrake for an equal pull.

So while he went to do some paperwork we tried again Campbell said to remove the plastic cable covering so we could secure it without it slipping, so with it all together again, nerves meant a toilet break, when I came out he was back with some paperwork so we did the handbrake again and bingo she passed.

After collecting the paperwork and chatting I had a wonderful drive home in the sun and dry too

So a very big thank you to Campbell, and although he will not see this a very big thank you to the tester, now to deal with dvla for a reg number

a very very happy gary

garyt

posted on 24/3/16 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
ready for the off , early doors
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

loaded up and ready
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 24/3/16 by garyt]

and PASS yee haa
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 24/3/16 by garyt]

Daf

posted on 25/3/16 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
FANTASTIC!

Well done

AlanH

posted on 26/3/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Been reading your posts. Well done, hope summer brings good weather for you to enjoy your new toy.
HowardB

posted on 1/4/16 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
congratulations

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

garyt

posted on 20/4/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
phoned kits n rebuilds at lunchtime to "enquire" of any progress to be told "yes registration issued and in the post today would you like an email copy sir?" did I ever, so I phoned local car shop and explained my position he said "bring the email and your driving licence", a quick call to work asking for an extended lunch, granted followed by a quick trip to get the plates home and put them on and then off to work, very little work done as foreman is a bit of a petrolhead himself, so just back from a wee afternoon run

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 20/4/16 by garyt]

[Edited on 20/4/16 by garyt]

obfripper

posted on 20/4/16 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I bet you wouldn't have got that plate if you had built a dax!
The hard work's all paid off, now you can enjoy the car.

Dave

sdh2903

posted on 20/4/16 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one. Just as the nice weather makes an appearance, well it did down here anyway!
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.